NFL Football viewership down

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
scotland

NFL Football viewership down

Postby scotland » September 22nd, 2017, 8:54 am

Apparently NFL viewership is down for the last two years, while college football viewership is up. Read an article on how the two games have diverged, where high school football became a faster shotgun game, and colllege took its cue fro high school, the NFL is actually the slower under center game.

In addition are thes short NFL careers and rosters that change far quicker than they used too. Teams changing locations really hurt and the sad tales of brain injuries on players that were household names (which I think is one of the reasons boxing fell out of fashion)

My family watches far more college ball now. Anyone else lost some of their interest in NFL football?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: NFL Football viewership down

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 25th, 2017, 9:59 pm

Yeah, and it's the politics that really irk me.
I watch sports to escape politics!
This anthem stuff is really bothering me.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » September 26th, 2017, 3:19 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Yeah, and it's the politics that really irk me.
I watch sports to escape politics!
This anthem stuff is really bothering me.

It only bugs me because it ruins the fun. I want to watch football. I don't care who stands up or sits during a song. It's just a little song. I don't care. Why the heck is the anthem even in sports to begin with? It's sports, not a musical!

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » September 26th, 2017, 5:58 am

Robotrek wrote:Why the heck is the anthem even in sports to begin with? It's sports, not a musical!

Better not come to a game in Newfoundland. If an American team is in town, we have to play 3 anthems (American, Canadian, and Ode to Newfoundland).

For anyone annoyed with the NFL, you could just watch hockey. No sitting out the anthems and, if there's a mic problem, even Canadian fans can sing yours for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf2jb51HzTs

scotland

Postby scotland » September 26th, 2017, 6:12 am

I made this thread just prior to this weekend, when kneeling for the National Anthem became such a big NFL thing. I was reacting to the business practices of the game (trades, moving teams), short careers, the CTE issue, and the pace of the game being slower.

I grew up a big boxing fan, as both my parents loved the 'sweet science'. Yet boxing went from being a major American sport (from Dempsey in the 1920s to Sugar Ray in the 1980s) to a B sport (with Mike Tyson and Holyfield) to a C sport (who's the heavyweight champion today - I don't even know). Lots of reasons, but brain trauma, the move to pay per view and removing boxing from broadcast venues, and the nature of the game (Tyson's 1st round knockouts, or slow ponderous defensive heavyweights versus lightning quick offensive fighters like Dempsey was).

Football is tailor made for tv, more than any other sport I can think of. There isn't a great replacement unless something different is done, like picture in picture during commercials or something.

Now all the NFL's issues are going to be mixed up with the politics, at least for a few weeks. I had not intentionally created a politically charged thread.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » September 26th, 2017, 8:40 am

At least they don't kneel in Madden.

David

Postby David » September 26th, 2017, 9:15 am

I’ve definitely lost interest in the NFL as I’ve gotten older, and sports in general. For one, the national anthem debate is a symptom of a larger problem for me where every little thing is analyzed to death and it’s annoying. Did so-and-so stand for the anthem? Was Adrian Peterson yelling at Sean Payton? Did you see the losing teams players were laughing on the sidelines? Aaron Rodgers got dumped by Olivia Munn and it’s affecting his play! It’s why I hate ESPN, because they have to talk sports 24/7 and to fill space they have to talk about stuff no one should care about. And regarding the anthem, the discussion isn’t even about the why, it’s about who’s protesting at this point and how they’re doing it.

The second reason are the rule changes that’ve been made for player safety, but have been taken too far. I’m all for protecting the players from unnecessary hits, cheap shots, and things that could cause serious injury, but football is a contact sport. It feels like every game I watch there are multiple penalties that probably shouldn’t have been called in the name of safety. And meanwhile, the NFL is still pushing for an 18 game season which would probably increase injuries further. Which leads into my last point...

The NFL talks out of both sides of their mouth way too much. They really care about safety, but they want to extend the season by multiple games and insist on Thursday night foortball and short weeks. They care about women’s rights and promote breast cancer awareness, but they don’t seem too concerned about domestic issues concerning their players. And the fans are even worse, like when they cheered for Ray Rice after he just got suspended for punching a woman in the face. I live in Minnesota and there was a significant amount of people okay with Adrian Peterson beating the hell out of his kid because he was their favorite player.

The NFL has a perfect setup. One game a week works great. The season doesn’t drag on too long, and the playoffs being one and done makes for really exciting games. They’re making hand over fist money but they still have to keep tweaking everything and it’s not for the better in my opinion.

TheBlondeGamePunk3

Postby TheBlondeGamePunk3 » September 26th, 2017, 9:25 am

I would say things that could really curl people's hair because I use the profane versions of everyone's favorite words whenever someone has to get political.. But here, I'm not.

I quit trying to understand this nation back in 2004 when I was just becoming a teen, Hell I found more fun in games then in caring about the nation's presidents or what people wanted from a president. :evil: :evil:

Voor

Postby Voor » September 26th, 2017, 11:38 am

I have no issues with atheletes having political opinions and wanting to make their voices heard, but do it in your off time, not in practice or in a game. Just like the rest of us....

I'm down on the NFL a bit because it's gotten too pass-heavy for me. I realize lots of people enjoy this, but I liked it when it had a better balance. I did enjoy Dallas' run last year for this reason.

And our president.....just a massive face palm. He has the potential to be great, but his ego makes him pick fights that are totally unnecessary and unproductive.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 26th, 2017, 10:03 pm

I've been a NFL fan since I was a kid, but I've been getting more and more annoyed with the league over the years for various reasons (including the EA exclusive license). I think this past weekend was the final straw. I'm done with the NFL.

Fortunately there are more than enough college games to watch instead.

Return to “Other Media”