Internet Ads

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Internet Ads

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 27th, 2017, 6:36 pm

Lately I've been browsing around to various news sites and I can't get over the lack of quality of the Internet. Windows pop up. Video appears with loud audio. The page jumps around as ads appear all over the place. I know I have an old computer, but frankly I don't know how people can even browse the Internet any more. It's a horrible user experience.

On this site I intentionally keeps ads to a minimum, including none currently on these message boards. And I filter out sketchy ads like gambling even though they earn more money. I do it because I want people to have an enjoyable experience without all the headaches. I get solicited all the time via email by companies to post articles and ads and videos for money, but I turn them down. You guys know I don't do this for the money - and it's a good thing because I'd be destitute.

Still, please keep the site in mind as you're doing your holiday shopping. Use my ebay and amazon links when you buy something from those sites. It doesn't matter which link you use; once you get to the site you can buy whatever you want and I'll get credit.

Also consider pledging $1 per month to my Patreon page:
https://www.patreon.com/videogamecritic

Thank you for your support!
VGC

Stalvern

Re: Internet Ads

Postby Stalvern » September 27th, 2017, 8:12 pm

Get an ad blocker. It's been years since I've seen an ad outside sites where I've specifically disabled it in support (including this one).

scotland

Postby scotland » September 27th, 2017, 8:59 pm

Thanks for the reminder on routing through to Amazon via VGC.

I appreciate that you've been doing this since the Dreamcast was the new kid on the block. You've been running this site for longer than many gamers have been alive.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » September 27th, 2017, 9:02 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Lately I've been browsing around to various news sites and I can't get over the lack of quality of the Internet. Windows pop up. Video appears with loud audio. The page jumps around as ads appear all over the place. I know I have an old computer, but frankly I don't know how people can even browse the Internet any more. It's a horrible user experience.

On this site I intentionally keeps ads to a minimum, including none currently on these message boards. And I filter out sketchy ads like gambling even though they earn more money. I do it because I want people to have an enjoyable experience without all the headaches. I get solicited all the time via email by companies to post articles and ads and videos for money, but I turn them down. You guys know I don't do this for the money - and it's a good thing because I'd be destitute.

Still, please keep the site in mind as you're doing your holiday shopping. Use my ebay and amazon links when you buy something from those sites. It doesn't matter which link you use; once you get to the site you can buy whatever you want and I'll get credit.

Also consider pledging $1 per month to my Patreon page:
https://www.patreon.com/videogamecritic

Thank you for your support!
VGC

Critic, have you had this problem like many people had on YouTube with advertisements being non-stop in videos, but some time the ads have little to nothing to do with the video, or they will be multiple ads in the video! I would like to here your thoughts on YouTube ads critic?

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » September 27th, 2017, 9:26 pm

I don't know when it happened, but sometime in the past few years most websites have turned into neo-AngleFires; slow, bloated, and covered with ads.

Thank you, Critic, for holding off.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » September 27th, 2017, 9:59 pm

NoScript + UBlock Origin

Herschie

Postby Herschie » September 28th, 2017, 1:59 pm

Normally I'm against ads, but I enjoy this site very much. Would you get more if I whitelisted this site?

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » September 28th, 2017, 5:33 pm

I don't mind ads, running serves costs money, but most websites have taken it to a ridiculous extreme. I don't know how to solve the problem tho. Ad services don't pay much per view/click. Advertisers won't pay much for online ads; even without ad-blockers few people look at them, and it's hard to tell if the ads are really being seen by people, or if they're being "seen" by robots. Some people sell fake traffic to make a website look valuable to advertisers. See this article: https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2015-click-fraud/

I suppose a lot of traditional media companies are struggling to generate enough revenue through ads, so they add more ads to make up the difference. They know they need an online presence the same way NBC, CBS and ABC knew they needed to create TV networks back in the 50's, but they haven't figured out a successful revenue model. Ads, which paid the bills for print, radio, and TV don't work as well on the internet, unless you have a significant number of eyeballs and can run your own ad service, like Yahoo had in the late 90's (I once read they charged $1 million for a front page ad at the time, plus $500 a year for a link in their directory,) or like Google and Facebook have now.

Since we're on the topic, and since I found this funny, here's a comic criticizing the over abundance of ads on websites, from over ten years ago now, when CNET bought GameFAQs: http://www.platypuscomix.net/onlyme/cne ... intro.html

Return to “Video Games General”