Buy, borrow, or rent the games you review?

General and high profile video game topics.
ZetaX1

Postby ZetaX1 » November 2nd, 2006, 9:48 pm

VGC,

For the games you review, do you generally buy the games, or rent/borrow the games?  Just curious.

Also, at one point, didn't you have some sort of  'about the VGC' section on this site?  If you're an old fart like me (late 30's, been playing since the late 70's) it's nice to see someone of similar background playing/reviewing games.

Keep up the good work, I enjoy the site.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 2nd, 2006, 10:16 pm

With a few exceptions, I buy all of the games I review.  Sometimes publishers send me their games (now more than ever), but I still buy most of them myself.  Yeah, I'm in my late 30's and I've been playing games since the late 70's.  Good guess!  Thanks for the kind words.

andrew

Postby andrew » November 5th, 2006, 2:48 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]With a few exceptions, I buy all of the games I review.  Sometimes publishers send me their games (now more than ever), but I still buy most of them myself.  Yeah, I'm in my late 30's and I've been playing games since the late 70's.  Good guess!  Thanks for the kind words.
[/QUOTE]

How do you find room for all those systems and games?

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » November 5th, 2006, 11:55 pm

....I don't know about the critic, but I have hundreds of carts and discs, not to mention computer games....boxes, manuals and about two dozen systems and 8-bit computers. The loose carts are stacked up in bookcases, I only have two TVs and two monitors so most systems are kept packed away till I want them (I rotate). I keep 65% of my collection on and under an old kiosk stand, the rest in my closet. I only have a small effeciency apartment and it houses around 1,000 books too!- plus magazines, other collectibles...barely room for my DVD/CD collections!

We have met they who amass and it be us!

a1

Postby a1 » November 6th, 2006, 2:58 am

My brother and I had 10 systems hooked up on 3 tvs at one point. The games we kept either in cabinets, on dvd shelves, or in bins. We realized that was insane, so we began to store systems in the garage, and swap them periodically. Not only does that save space, but it makes you enjoy games more often. Over the last couple years we sold 5 of those systems, and then had 5 hooked up on 2 tvs. Recently, my brother took 2 more systems to college, and at this point I have a PS2 hooked up in the living room, and an NES and Genesis in a box in the attic. If I feel like pulling them out it only takes about 10 minutes to hook them up.

I know that was a long rant, but the point I'm trying to make is that it's possible to own a whole lot of systems and not worry to much about space. I know not everyone has 3 tvs, but a closet and one tv will do just fine. I've sold a few systems, but it was fun having them for a while, so if you have the cash you should go ebay shopping and experiment with new systems; you'll figure out storage issues after you but them.

andrew

Postby andrew » November 10th, 2006, 4:26 pm

[QUOTE=a]

My brother and I had 10 systems hooked up on 3 tvs at one point. The games we kept either in cabinets, on dvd shelves, or in bins. We realized that was insane, so we began to store systems in the garage, and swap them periodically. Not only does that save space, but it makes you enjoy games more often. Over the last couple years we sold 5 of those systems, and then had 5 hooked up on 2 tvs. Recently, my brother took 2 more systems to college, and at this point I have a PS2 hooked up in the living room, and an NES and Genesis in a box in the attic. If I feel like pulling them out it only takes about 10 minutes to hook them up.

I know that was a long rant, but the point I'm trying to make is that it's possible to own a whole lot of systems and not worry to much about space. I know not everyone has 3 tvs, but a closet and one tv will do just fine. I've sold a few systems, but it was fun having them for a while, so if you have the cash you should go ebay shopping and experiment with new systems; you'll figure out storage issues after you but them.

[/QUOTE]

I have five systems but a he has 23 systems and some of the older ones are huge not to mention 1000's of games are listed and counting. He's going to have to add a PS3 and a Wii soon enough  so make that 25 systems and hundreds more reviews to come in the future. Add in a bunch of handhelds, their games and the 23 systems  peripherals(controllers, steering wheels, memory cards) and that is a monstrous collection that requires some serious room..

a1

Postby a1 » November 12th, 2006, 3:23 am

Old game cartridges are pretty easy to store. The Critic definitely has way more games than I have ever had, or will ever have, but I think I could find the space for them if I had as many. If you have a garage or an attic you probably have enough room.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » November 12th, 2006, 12:06 pm

[QUOTE=a]

[/QUOTE]

That's exactly how i do it.  Sometimes a system will get an extended stay because I will find new joy in a game.  Lately I have had the Dreamcast out, but it's about done for now.  I, believe it or not, am thinking about getting out my Jag for a while.  I really miss my morning dose of Ruiner Pinball and Tempest 2000.

RRJ

Postby RRJ » November 12th, 2006, 3:40 pm

As far as game disc's go, how many of you use game/CD cases with sleeves for storage purposes? I keep a case with about 75 game discs on a bottom shelf of my entertainment system for easy and efficient access.

Return to “Video Games General”