Question on the Wii U if it was powerful enough to handle PS4/Xbox One in mind games, or would have it been impossible?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sonicx9

Question on the Wii U if it was powerful enough to handle PS4/Xbox One in mind games, or would have it been impossible?

Postby Sonicx9 » October 1st, 2017, 1:49 pm

I ask because I have seen the Nintendo Switch getting full fat PS4/Xbox One in mind games that would have been impossible on PS3/Xbox 360/PS Vita/3DS (both regular and new respectively) examples included Snake Pass (Unreal Engine 4), Sonic Forces, Doom 2016, Disgaea 5, etc. But some have sad it could have ran some of the less demanding games from the system such as Yooka-Laylee which was once planed, but got cancelled because of tech issues/the Wii U dying out by the time it was launched. And demanding games from Wii U like Xenoblade Chronicles X, and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild would have been impossible to run on stock PS3/Xbox 360 even with downgrades, so the 1 million dolor question, could have the Wii U handled full fat PS4/Xbox One in mind games, or would have it been impossible? Because even the Wii U system did struggle with PS3/Xbox 360 ports even in 2012 early in its lifespan? Because even the original Wii did get a most full fat, but slightly compromised port of Rayman Origins that was developed with the PS3/Xbox 360 in mind even though it was a simpler 2D game which is not as taxing on hardware, thoughts?

Sonicx9

Re: Question on the Wii U if it was powerful enough to handle PS4/Xbox One in mind games, or would have it been impossib

Postby Sonicx9 » October 1st, 2017, 3:11 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:I ask because I have seen the Nintendo Switch getting full fat PS4/Xbox One in mind games that would have been impossible on PS3/Xbox 360/PS Vita/3DS (both regular and new respectively) examples included Snake Pass (Unreal Engine 4), Sonic Forces, Doom 2016, Disgaea 5, etc. But some have sad it could have ran some of the less demanding games from the system such as Yooka-Laylee which was once planed, but got cancelled because of tech issues/the Wii U dying out by the time it was launched. And demanding games from Wii U like Xenoblade Chronicles X, and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild would have been impossible to run on stock PS3/Xbox 360 even with downgrades, so the 1 million dolor question, could have the Wii U handled full fat PS4/Xbox One in mind games, or would have it been impossible? Because even the Wii U system did struggle with PS3/Xbox 360 ports even in 2012 early in its lifespan? Because even the original Wii did get a most full fat, but slightly compromised port of Rayman Origins that was developed with the PS3/Xbox 360 in mind even though it was a simpler 2D game which is not as taxing on hardware, thoughts?

Turns out the Nintendo Wii U would have been impossible to run Doom 2016 according to John Linneman of Digital Foundry: https://twitter.com/dark1x/status/914558099121459200, which I would not be surprised as that is an extremely demanding game, but lets see if less demanding PS4/Xbox One in mind multi-platform games could have ran on the Nintendo Wii U?

JWK

Re: Question on the Wii U if it was powerful enough to handle PS4/Xbox One in mind games, or would have it been impossib

Postby JWK » October 1st, 2017, 6:01 pm

The more important thing, imo, is that even when Nintendo *can* run a console technical benchmark like Doom 2016, it does so at half the framerate of the competition. In general, Nintendo consoles will never be the best place to play multiplats because Nintendo slumps on power to save during development and cost per unit.

I understand that Nintendo offers something different from Sony and Microsoft, and for many what they offer may be enough, but for those of us who want the latest and greatest (and most technically demanding) games, Nintendo alone won't cut it. It will have to be a secondary console to something else.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » October 2nd, 2017, 2:57 am

Ehh... count me in the 'gameplay over graphics' camp.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » October 15th, 2017, 4:28 pm

In the realm of porting, anything is possible. For the PC market, a game can be released and be playable on a variety of settings. For a high end rig, 4K with all settings maxed out possible. For a low end rig, low settings, sub 1080p may make a demanding game playable (checkout many videos on Youtube showing games like Fallout 4 running on low spec hardware). The Wii U is comparable in terms of hardware specs to the PS3/Xbox 360 (a little apples to oranges given the unique hardware of the Wii U). Consider this, until recently, many PS4/Xbox One titles were ported to the previous gen consoles.

If a developer were willing to do a ground up redevelopment of a game, the Wii U/Switch could see ports of just about anything. Heck, the 3DS got a port of Resident Evil Revelations. If a developer would take the challenge, they could port just about anything. The question will be how much of the original game will be in the port. Doom is possible on the WiiU, but given the time and resources required for development, as well as technical compromises, a developer would unlikely bother, particularly regarding a console with small install base. If a scaled down version of Doom were available for the Wii U, who would buy it?

The Switch, unlike the Wii U, is a console and a handheld. The install base for the Switch is growing quite rapidly. Where there is money, effort and innovation inevitably follow.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » October 15th, 2017, 9:46 pm

I think the Wii U could have handled it. Developers and Ninny needs to give the system more good games. Also they needed to upgrade the screen to a 720. I was underwhelmed when I played it but I thought they had the genesis of a good machine but they never upgraded it which was a shame.

Return to “Modern Gaming”