Fortnite: Battle Royale

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
DaHeckIzDat

Fortnite: Battle Royale

Postby DaHeckIzDat » October 3rd, 2017, 9:32 pm

I've said before that I'm interested in Player Unknown: Battleground, and I'm interested in Fortnite. Well, since PUBG isn't coming to PS4 anytime soon, Fortnite took it upon themselves to do it for them. Fortnite's Battle Royale mode is essentially PUBG in Fortnite form. And since they decided to let people play that for free without purchasing the entire game.
For those who don't know, PUBG and Battle Royale is essentially a last man standing, king of the hill deathmatch on a really big map. Your plane (or in this case, hot air balloon bus) flies across the map, and you get to choose when to jump out and parachute to the ground. You scavenge for weapons and armor, and fight anybody who crosses paths with you. Every few minutes a "storm will converge on the map, shrinking the area you can be in without taking damage and simultaneously forcing everyone closer together. Last player alive wins.
I'm pretty since the map is smaller, and they trade being able to drive for the ability to collect materials and build whatever you want. I don't expect many people to be building in this mode because if you're somewhere you're able to build, nobody will ever find it. If you're somewhere that it'll be useful, someone will probably put a bullet in your head before you can finish. Even So, for what it is I'm having fun. The highest I've gotten is 27th place.

DaHeckIzDat

Re: Fortnite: Battle Royale

Postby DaHeckIzDat » October 5th, 2017, 4:19 pm

Here's a funny story I got from playing this morning. It was one of my better matches (mostly because I went nearly ten minutes without seeing anybody), and made it to the last 20 survivors. Then I saw somebody in the distance thinking he was gonna be smart and make himself a little sniper's nest. He made a big wooden platform floating in midair, destroyed the ramp leading up to it, and then built a brick wall around the perimeter to protect himself. He had no idea I was there, so I just went up and shot the floor out from under him.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 21st, 2018, 5:29 am

I'm late to the party, but this game is pretty great, and -- considering that it's a FREE download, with no catches -- I think it's a must-get game.

Personally, I'm totally out of the loop about these types of games. I used to like competitive shooters, but I got burnt out on them years ago and stopped paying attention. So, like a person living under a rock, PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds flew completely under my radar, despite the fact that it's the 2nd best selling PC game of all-time (and will be #1 in short order). I only learned of it when I saw it popping up on "Best of 2017" lists. It's also the first time I've heard of the battle royale genre.. but I've hoped for this type of game for years.. It's like Call of Duty meets the Hunger Games, with 100 people and last one alive wins. But, with just a PS4 for my modern gaming, I had to opt for the PS4's battle royale game - Fortnite: Battle Royale. (Reviews indicate that most people prefer PU's Battlegrounds, although there seems to be a decent contingent that prefers Fortnite.)

Anyway, I think it's a very good game, even if it wasn't free. I am terrible at killing people in this game... I seem to lose every gunfight I get into. Instead, my enjoyment of the game comes from avoiding people.. seeing how long I can survive by sneaking around the map. And when it comes to that, I'm excellent. I have played the game for about 7 hours (two or three dozen matches at least), and I honestly have killed under 10 players in that entire time (no joke). Yet, I consistently finish in the top 10 or 20, just by sneaking around. I know that sounds boring to most people.. but for them, charging around with guns blazing is an option too, if they're good at it. The biggest downside to sucking and having only 1 life, though, is that it's hard to improve on your combat.

Even my wife has enjoyed watching and playing this game (and she's a non-gamer, and definitely not into shooters). Again, being free, there's nothing to lose with downloading this one. I give it an A-, and just wish the gunfights felt a little fairer.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » January 21st, 2018, 10:29 pm

Retro STrife wrote:I am terrible at killing people in this game... I seem to lose every gunfight I get into. Instead, my enjoyment of the game comes from avoiding people.. seeing how long I can survive by sneaking around the map. And when it comes to that, I'm excellent. I have played the game for about 7 hours (two or three dozen matches at least), and I honestly have killed under 10 players in that entire time (no joke). Yet, I consistently finish in the top 10 or 20, just by sneaking around.

Haha, same! If I ever go in guns blazing, I'm out of the match in, like, 97th place. But when I sneak around I can make it into the final 10 pretty consistently. Assuming nobody else landed anywhere near me, of course. One time I even managed to make it to third place, but the other two guys had both built themselves little forts and so I got picked off pretty easily.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 24th, 2018, 10:51 am

Yeah, my survival strategy is good, but my combat strategy is terrible in this game.

But it's interesting to watch how stupid other gamers are... especially with how they act at the very beginning of the game... tells you a lot about human nature. For anyone reading who hasn't played this game, the map is HUGE and you decide where to start. At the very start, you start in a flying school bus far far above the map, and the bus scrolls across the screen for 30 seconds. You decide when to jump out, and then you sky dive down to the spot you want.

Without fail, like 50% of the people jump out instantly, at the first second they can. Is everyone really that impatient??? Of course, they're all complete morons, because you inevitably land in an area with a bunch of other people, which means that most of them are going to get killed off pretty quickly. It makes no sense to me. This isn't Call of Duty..there's no respawns, so early aggression is a huge mistake IMO.

My strategy so far has been to always wait within the last 10 seconds, or last 5 seconds preferably. By then, only like 10-15 people (intelligent people) are still on the bus. Once I jump out, I skydive as far away as I possibly can. My goal is to land in an area as far away as I can reach, so that I can avoid other people and have a chance to stock up on gear uninterrupted, and then hide. To me, the best feeling is landing in an area and realizing you're the only one there, and then having full access to run around and explore and collect gear. Even worst case scenario, there will be only 1 or 2 other guys in the area with me.. no biggie, and I just try to avoid them. After that, as the storm shrinks, I just move to the new area, staying near the edge of the storm, usually hiding in bushes and camping there. Inevitably, I have to fight someone eventually, and die basically 90% of the time... I suck at that for sure.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » January 24th, 2018, 11:44 am

Retro STrife wrote:My strategy so far has been to always wait within the last 10 seconds, or last 5 seconds preferably.

Not to mention that the storm's "eye" is usually on the opposite end of the map from where the bus started, so you'll have less running to do.

Personally, I don't like the storm. I get that they have to shrink the arena to move people closer together, but it's literally the exact same thing as what PUBG does. Since the core game is a zombie survival game, why not have the storm cause zombies to spring up in the effected areas? That way anyone caught in it can still fight their way inwards, but there's not much chance of survival out there.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 24th, 2018, 2:02 pm

I'm ok with the storm, but I can see what you mean. As we know, something has to happen to force players to reduce the map size, in order to keep the action flowing once the number of players shrinks down. (Within 5 minutes, there's only like 30 or so people left, thanks to all the idiots playing too aggressively, so you'd never find anyone on the big map.) So in terms of how to shrink the map area, I think it comes down to perspective... I know most people treat this game as a shooter, like "I want to kill people and be the last man standing of my 99 opponents." But for me, the fun comes from treating it like a stealth/survival game, like "I want to see how long I can hide and survive, while there are 99 people out there trying to kill me." Confrontation is a last resort for me, once my survival is threatened. So for my approach, the storm idea works better, because it would force me to treat it like a shooter if zombies converged on my area.

Part of my survival approach is probably because of sucking so much at the shooter aspect of the game. But, considering that Metal Gear Solid is my favorite gaming series, it probably also has a lot to do with my general gaming preferences.

Voor

Postby Voor » January 29th, 2018, 6:51 pm

Don’t know about this game, but my brother said PUBG is the most intense game he’s ever played, despite the limited graphics and gameplay. It has a way of forcing you to be strategic and is full of surprises.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 30th, 2018, 9:57 am

Voor wrote:Don’t know about this game, but my brother said PUBG is the most intense game he’s ever played, despite the limited graphics and gameplay. It has a way of forcing you to be strategic and is full of surprises.

Yeah, I think a big part of the intensity is that you only have 1 life, against 99 other people. In a lot of other competitive shooters, you can run head-first into danger, and you're a "good player" as long as you get a few kills before someone kills you. Then you respawn and repeat. I like that games like PUBG and FBR force you to play more realistically. Yes, there are still plenty of idiots that run head-first into danger, but the winning player will always be someone who values the 1 life they have and plays strategically to protect it.

By the way... are DaHeckIzDat and I really the only 2 here that have tried this? Guys.. it's FREE. Like legit free to download.. no catches.. no loot boxes needed to gain an advantage (any purchases are cosmetic only).. literally no downside to trying it. And it's not a "free trial", but free for the full game. It's on PC, Xbox One, and PS4. Give it a shot if you haven't! You could hate it, but..it's free.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » January 30th, 2018, 11:29 am

Retro STrife wrote:Like legit free to download.. no catches.

Well, besides the fact that it's online only, so you have to pay for a PS+ account to play it. People like the Critic probably wouldn't be interested in it because of that.

Return to “Modern Gaming”