Why does EA hate Nintendo Switch so much?

General and high profile video game topics.
GTS
Posts: 65
Joined: January 29th, 2017, 2:43 pm

Re: Why does EA hate Nintendo Switch so much?

Postby GTS » October 3rd, 2017, 8:54 pm

Protesting EA is like a mosquito biting a dinosaur. It won't have any effect. If the Switch ends up have a good Christmas, I think we'll see more 3rd party support. However, I would think that sports fans would rather play on a PS4 or Xbox One.

Sonicx9
Posts: 494
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Re: Why does EA hate Nintendo Switch so much?

Postby Sonicx9 » October 3rd, 2017, 10:21 pm

Here is my late response to the post.

Sut wrote:Probably doesn’t help that Nintendo hasn’t traditionally performed well in the UK.
So small install base in a big soccer enthusiastic market with the same game available on multi platforms is the perfect storm for low sales.


That is somewhat understandable considering that Nintendo stuff does very poorly in the UK/PAL region compared to America/Japan where it their main market for the products they make.

Stalvern wrote:The only actual substance here is "protest against evil EA" - I suppose I'll just join all the anti-EA picketers in the streets? And EA is an awful company, but not supporting a weaker system like the Switch when that takes significantly more time and money isn't so much evil as it is laziness. Compare that to, say, the absolute crime of their exclusive NFL license.


My reason to protest this port is because I think the Nintendo Switch audience needs to be treated better then this, as I am tired of incompetent publishers/developers like EA giving us half-ass ports like this. I mean we are past the Game Boy era of Mortal Kombat ports in today's video game market. As the Nintendo Switch is in raw power above the PS3/Xbox 360/Wii U/PS Vita/3DS. Yes it is not as powerful as the base PS4/Xbox One. And mind you before the Nintendo Switch came out, the PS3/Xbox 360/PS Vita/3DS where all get down ports of PS4/Xbox One and or Wii U in mind games from that time frame that where much closer to the big brothers in most cases save for a few exceptions her and their. But when full fat but slightly compromised ports of games from PS4/Xbox One like Disgaea 5, Snake Pass (powered by the all mighty Unreal Engine 4 which is way more demanding then EA Frostbite 3 engine which works on PS3/Xbox 360, but Unreal Engine 4 only works on PC/PS4/Xbox One/Nintendo Switch not counting the water down mobile variant of the engine), Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, Sonic Forces, Doom 2016, WWE 2K18, NBA 2K18, Lego Worlds/The LEGO NINJAGO Movie Video Game and the upcoming Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2, Rocket League, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (based on the Special Edition version FYI), Rime, MXGP3, etc. Makes EA FIFA 18 port look very Half-hearted by comparison to the other 3rd party offerings from the Nintendo Switch! I mean, I do not even like either EA because I have never been a fan of their library of games, or FIFA soccer, but I think the fans of the two on the Nintendo Switch should deserve better then this half-ass port job!

pacman000 wrote:I'm assuming EA has had a poor relationship with Nintendo since the NES. Trip Hawkins once called Nintendo an evil monopolist, or something to that effect. Here's an older article, from when Atari and Atari Games were suing Nintendo. Includes quotes from game company presidents calling Nintendo a monopoly: http://articles.latimes.com/1989-03-19/business/fi-223_1_video-game-market Doesn't have the Trip Hawkins quote I mentioned, but it does have this:

The notion (that competition should be minimized,) accepted in Japan, where the economy is tightly monitored by the government, flies in the face of the free market system, argues Trip Hawkins, founder of Electronic Arts, a San Mateo personal computer game publisher.


Even if he's not part of EA anymore there are still folks in the company who resent Nintendo, who'd rather deal with other companies.

And it's not just EA; that resentment has hurt Nintendo's 3rd party support for the past 10 years. 3rd parties in general no longer need Nintendo; 3rd parties are still mad at/afraid of Nintendo for trying to control the market, so 3rd parties don't support Nintendo systems. :cry:


I do agree about EA having a poor relationship with Nintendo since the NES days. As EA was at the time more supportive to Sega and later the 3DO, PlayStation, Xbox, PC as those platformers for them do make more money, and FIFA is popular in the PAL region where Sega, and later PlayStation are huge along with FIFA so this makes sense. Also EA did give the worser versions of their sports games along with the infamous Shaq Fu game on the SNES compared to the Sega Genesis does show the two never got along even at the time frame.

Stalvern wrote:Nintendo's last system to be technically on par with its competition, the GameCube, had plenty of EA titles.


The original Wii also had many EA game release, but many of them sold poorly compared to the rivals/the exclusives they put out bomed on the Wii which may have hurt the Wii U support later on with only 4 releases and then giving up not long after!

GTS wrote:Protesting EA is like a mosquito biting a dinosaur. It won't have any effect. If the Switch ends up have a good Christmas, I think we'll see more 3rd party support. However, I would think that sports fans would rather play on a PS4 or Xbox One.


We will see, but I hope that EA learns from Sega, Atlus, Arc System Works, Bandai Namco, Inti Creates, TT Games, Capcom, Grasshopper Manufacture, Hamster, Nippon Ichi Software/NIS America, Square Enix, Take-Two Interactive, Telltale Games, THQ Nordic, Ubisoft, Marvelous/Xseed, Konami, Koei Tecmo, and Bethesda so they can stop giving us incompetent products and start giving the Nintendo audience competent products instead.

Sonicx9
Posts: 494
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Re: Why does EA hate Nintendo Switch so much?

Postby Sonicx9 » October 5th, 2017, 2:01 pm

FIFA 18 sales update: In Japan http://gematsu.com/2017/10/media-create ... 2517-10117 The Nintendo Switch version outsold all but the PS4 version. Man things are not looking to good for FIFA 18 on Nintendo Switch based on the week 1 sales in both the UK and Japan respectively. Lets hope the NPD launch month sales are better for the game in the Nintendo Switch top 10 best sellers for September. Because it looks like EA may drop the Nintendo Switch support next year after they release Fe on the console, or in worse cases may even drop the port because the FIFA 18 sales where so terrible for them in the long run!

TheBlondeGamePunk3
Posts: 42
Joined: March 1st, 2017, 10:39 am

Re: Why does EA hate Nintendo Switch so much?

Postby TheBlondeGamePunk3 » October 6th, 2017, 11:42 am

Having read through this entire topic up to the latest post, I can say honestly that Nintendo's third party support has dropped quite a bit in the last few years, I remember that EA themselves said a Crysis 3 port for the Wii U wouldn't be probable and would likely be a watered down port.

On the topic of the Switch, EA is like Activision, Sega, and all the big third party companies, They only will do work with people like Nintendo if they can see that they'll make money and that they will get a share of the profit as well as making a "jointed" effort on the game they want to port.

Don't fall to the level of EA Fanboys, Those people are the worst who will play battlefield and other games like Command & Conquer without question and become enraged when you refuse to listen to them, I've dealt with them in the past and they aren't quite frankly worth my time. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Sonicx9
Posts: 494
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Re: Why does EA hate Nintendo Switch so much?

Postby Sonicx9 » October 6th, 2017, 5:52 pm

TheBlondeGamePunk3 wrote:Having read through this entire topic up to the latest post, I can say honestly that Nintendo's third party support has dropped quite a bit in the last few years, I remember that EA themselves said a Crysis 3 port for the Wii U wouldn't be probable and would likely be a watered down port.

On the topic of the Switch, EA is like Activision, Sega, and all the big third party companies, They only will do work with people like Nintendo if they can see that they'll make money and that they will get a share of the profit as well as making a "jointed" effort on the game they want to port.

Don't fall to the level of EA Fanboys, Those people are the worst who will play battlefield and other games like Command & Conquer without question and become enraged when you refuse to listen to them, I've dealt with them in the past and they aren't quite frankly worth my time. :evil: :evil: :evil:


It is true that Nintendo's third party support has dropped quite a bit in the last few years thanks to the bad rep of the Wii U itself, especially after EA gave up on the Wii U only releasing 4 games and calling it quits for the system.

On the part that you say about EA is like Activision,, Sega, and all the big third party companies, etc. I can say that both EA and Activision have not been very supportive at all on the Nintendo Switch with Activision only giving an unnecessary port of Skylanders Imaginators that did not sell very well to the point that they refuse to give any Call of Duty game ports to the Nintendo Switch that Nintendo systems have missed out on in past years or even this year WW2 game. And even fail to port over either Destiny 1, or even Destiny 2 for that matter. And EA support has been terrible with many of this years games saying no to the system save for FIFA 18 and Fe for the system. But for Sega, I think they will support the Nintendo Switch far better then both EA and Activision because Sega is in much better terms with Nintendo then either EA and Activision. With Sega giving both Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces and Puyo Puyo Tetris port along with a cloud powered free to play version of Phantasy Star Online 2 in Japan. And maybe down the line more Sega classic games for the console thanks to eShop, or Virtual Console emulation. That company I trust far more and prefer Sega over EA and Activision any day of the week!

And for EA Fanboys, I can not stand them as they are some of the worst out their. I am no fan of either EA because I have never been a fan of their library of games, or FIFA soccer. It just that I am calling out EA so they can treat Nintendo fans better like how Sega is much more respectful to Nintendo by comparison!

Sut
Posts: 607
Joined: April 8th, 2015, 4:23 pm

Re: Why does EA hate Nintendo Switch so much?

Postby Sut » October 7th, 2017, 3:09 am

Sonicx9 wrote:It just that I am calling out EA so they can treat Nintendo fans better like how Sega is much more respectful to Nintendo by comparison!


I don’t understand this, should they be more respectful and put resources into ports even if they make low or no profit ? Just because it’s Nintendo ?

Third party games generally don’t sell well on Nintendo consoles anymore hence the lack of support it’s a vicious circle Nintendo have gotten into.

I know it’s a hobby and passion to us and Nintendo seems (to some) to be the last bastion of traditional gaming (a view I don’t share). But EA, Activision, et al are publishers who need to make profits. And Nintendo consoles obviously no longer provide a sufficient income stream to make the ports worthwhile.

User avatar
scotland
Posts: 1938
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 7:33 pm

Re: Why does EA hate Nintendo Switch so much?

Postby scotland » October 7th, 2017, 6:55 am

Sut wrote:Third party games generally don’t sell well on Nintendo consoles anymore hence the lack of support it’s a vicious circle Nintendo have gotten into. .


Suts right, and the picture may be even worse than he paints it.

Witness Bayonetta 2. Nintendo invests in a sequel to a popular Platinum Games Xbox360/PS3 game published by Sega. Nintendo publishes Bayonetta 2 themselves, a WiiU exclusive, and it is very well received by critics. Result - disappointing sales. Eventually, it would go on to sell about 2/5ths of what the original sold. Yes, it was on a smaller install base, but it also had greater brand awareness, lots of marketing, and the lack of competition from other titles in the same genre.

So, its not only that 3rd parties would be daft to market their product on the very different Switch architecture, but even when Nintendo brings a different kind of game themselves to the platform it may not be well received by the Nintendo fanbase. People buy Nintendo consoles with the expectation of what games go on it. Anything Mario, Yoshi, DK, Zelda et al is fine, and Nintendo can experiment in that circle like the most recent Zelda title, but the neighborhood is not welcoming to new residents.

Sonicx9
Posts: 494
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Re: Why does EA hate Nintendo Switch so much?

Postby Sonicx9 » October 7th, 2017, 12:52 pm

Sut wrote:
I don’t understand this, should they be more respectful and put resources into ports even if they make low or no profit ? Just because it’s Nintendo ?

Third party games generally don’t sell well on Nintendo consoles anymore hence the lack of support it’s a vicious circle Nintendo have gotten into.

I know it’s a hobby and passion to us and Nintendo seems (to some) to be the last bastion of traditional gaming (a view I don’t share). But EA, Activision, et al are publishers who need to make profits. And Nintendo consoles obviously no longer provide a sufficient income stream to make the ports worthwhile.


I did noticed that AAA publishers do not get along with the Nintendo Switch currently, go figure?

scotland wrote:
Suts right, and the picture may be even worse than he paints it.

Witness Bayonetta 2. Nintendo invests in a sequel to a popular Platinum Games Xbox360/PS3 game published by Sega. Nintendo publishes Bayonetta 2 themselves, a WiiU exclusive, and it is very well received by critics. Result - disappointing sales. Eventually, it would go on to sell about 2/5ths of what the original sold. Yes, it was on a smaller install base, but it also had greater brand awareness, lots of marketing, and the lack of competition from other titles in the same genre.

So, its not only that 3rd parties would be daft to market their product on the very different Switch architecture, but even when Nintendo brings a different kind of game themselves to the platform it may not be well received by the Nintendo fanbase. People buy Nintendo consoles with the expectation of what games go on it. Anything Mario, Yoshi, DK, Zelda et al is fine, and Nintendo can experiment in that circle like the most recent Zelda title, but the neighborhood is not welcoming to new residents.


To be frank, the Bayonetta series is not a big named as other franchises so it not the best thing to measure for 3rd party sales. I mean big named 3rd party games like Batman, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, all under performed on the console likely because the audience was established on the PS3/Xbox 360 at that time frame. And mind you 1st party exclusives from Nintendo such as Xenoblade Chronicles X and Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE got great reviews from critics and players, but bombed in sales, especially in the home land japan that did worse then the western releases.: http://www.vgchartz.com/game/85905/shin ... re-emblem/ and http://www.vgchartz.com/game/71409/xeno ... onicles-x/ and the ironic part is both the English versions where censored, but their are more copies of the English versions then the uncensored original, showing that bad word of mouth of something does not affect sales!

User avatar
Stalvern
Posts: 434
Joined: June 18th, 2016, 7:15 pm

Re: Why does EA hate Nintendo Switch so much?

Postby Stalvern » October 7th, 2017, 6:04 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:I did noticed that AAA publishers do not get along with the Nintendo Switch currently, go figure?

Sut's point was that your assumptions are fundamentally misguided. Developers do not support systems because it's a nice thing to do. They do it because it keeps them in business. Video games are an industry, not some circle of friends. If EA don't have a strong profit incentive to support Nintendo's system, they aren't going to do it anyway just to make you, a poster on an Internet forum, happy.

Sonicx9 wrote:To be frank, the Bayonetta series is not a big named as other franchises so it not the best thing to measure for 3rd party sales. I mean big named 3rd party games like Batman, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, all under performed on the console likely because the audience was established on the PS3/Xbox 360 at that time frame. And mind you 1st party exclusives from Nintendo such as Xenoblade Chronicles X and Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE got great reviews from critics and players, but bombed in sales, especially in the home land japan that did worse then the western releases.: http://www.vgchartz.com/game/85905/shin ... re-emblem/ and http://www.vgchartz.com/game/71409/xeno ... onicles-x/ and the ironic part is both the English versions where censored, but their are more copies of the English versions then the uncensored original, showing that bad word of mouth of something does not affect sales!

This is sheer word salad.

Sonicx9
Posts: 494
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Re: Why does EA hate Nintendo Switch so much?

Postby Sonicx9 » October 7th, 2017, 9:21 pm

Stalvern wrote:Sut's point was that your assumptions are fundamentally misguided. Developers do not support systems because it's a nice thing to do. They do it because it keeps them in business. Video games are an industry, not some circle of friends. If EA don't have a strong profit incentive to support Nintendo's system, they aren't going to do it anyway just to make you, a poster on an Internet forum, happy.


I am doing this protest to help EA change in the future, because I have learned that when you speak out against something that is not very good quality, the companies will try to improve if enough backslash is happening. People where not happy with the infamous Mass Effect 3 ending (also by EA) and they gave free DLC to help improve it. And when the Xbox One had the infamous DRM, people also spoke out against it and Microsoft removed it. People where not happy with Mafia 3 having a 30FPS cap on PC at launch, but because people where not happy, they patched higher frame rate options to make the people happy. It is always a good idea to speak out against companies when they do things wrong. And I will also praise companies when they do things right like Bethesda is going all out with the Nintendo Switch with its support and give them thumbs up for doing the right thing. And this is something that EA can learn from.


Return to “Video Games General”