SNES Classic

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
BanjoPickles

SNES Classic

Postby BanjoPickles » October 4th, 2017, 12:06 am

I was lucky enough to land my preorder, which I picked up first thing last Friday. After spending a considerable amount of time on it (Yoshi's Island and Final Fantasy III have taken most of my time), here are a few thoughts:

-it reminded me of how much I miss the simplicity of turning on a console, and being one click away from playing a game. When you turn on the Classic, it goes straight to the menu, which takes you straight to the game. No load times, logos, etc. Very refreshing!

-the lineup, once again, is fantastic! I knew that the lineup was great, but I came to really appreciate the variety/quality as I was sifting through the selection. It's strangely comforting to have so many durable memories in one tiny box!

-the controllers are high-quality and astonishingly pitch perfect replicas of the original controls, in look and feel!

-the save state is used, but the rewind feature seems sort of pointless to me.

-the different filters are nice, as are the unobtrusive borders.

-for some reason, Donkey Kong Country looks very pixelated, regardless of the filter I use. This wasn't a problem on the 3DS's VC release. Has anybody else noticed this?

-I now know why Starfox 2 was cancelled. The game was too ambitious for its own good and, once the thrill of finally being able to play it wears off, you're left with a game that was fundamentally so-so.

All in all, I'm loving everything about the Classic!

ActRaiser

Re: SNES Classic

Postby ActRaiser » October 4th, 2017, 7:46 am

Yeah, same here! The only thing that I wish it had was a controller way to reset the device. Such as hold SELECT, START and DOWN at the same time. That way I can be lazy and not get up off the couch to reset it to save or select a different game. Loving it though.

BanjoPickles

Re: SNES Classic

Postby BanjoPickles » October 7th, 2017, 3:03 pm

I know that I'm probably in the minority, but I am so glad that they stuck to authenticity and didn't include a reset button on the controller. I have naturally fidgety hands and I know that, had they included one, I would accidentally bumped it more than once. Another reason why I like having to actually get up to change games is because it prevents me from sampling games. I did it with my Wii, my 3DS, my Vita, etc. If I get frustrated, I'll hit the home button, out of frustration. With the SNES Classic, I push through because....that reset button is so far away! Haha!

Return to “Now Playing”