NHL Legacy Edition (PS3)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Atarifever

NHL Legacy Edition (PS3)

Postby Atarifever » October 14th, 2017, 12:00 pm

Yes. Just all of yes. This is my favourite sports game since Fifa 98 on N64.

I don't know if it's standard for NHL games these days, because I haven't really played one since the PS1, but this one lets you select the 1990s mode, which makes the game play like a SNES era hockey game. Two shoulder buttons for "fancy moves", pass, shoot, and hustle are the only buttons. Pressing the pass button selects the guy closest to the puck. Passing and shooting are exactly as easy as they were in Blades of Steel for goodness sake. My 5 year old plays this one with me and has no trouble understanding it. Cannot recommend this one enough for lapsed sport videogame fans.

It's a year out of date on PS3, but you can just go here:
https://forums.operationsports.com/foru ... 018-a.html

You can download a roster update there (legitimately nothing illegal about a simple save file with an updated roster and the Golden Knights added as a custom team with the correct players). EA was even counting on people adding the Golden Knights as far as I can tell, given that "The knights" is an option for the team name the announcers use.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: NHL Legacy Edition (PS3)

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 14th, 2017, 10:31 pm

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I like to get a new NHL game each year, but EA's latest offerings haven't been very enticing.
Looks like this one is inexpensive and I'm curious about the SNES mode.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » October 15th, 2017, 6:21 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Looks like this one is inexpensive and I'm curious about the SNES mode.

As far as I can tell, it's only available for exhibition unfortunately. I want to set the old version for season mode. Oh well. The music that plays before that starts though hits every bot of nostalgia I have. It's actually called NHL '94 Anniversary, which I recall being a particularly big game around these parts.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 15th, 2017, 10:23 am

I vaguely remember playing an NHL 94 mode in one of the NHL games in year's past, but although it had the sounds and controls of the old classic, it didn't have the old-school graphics. That was disappointing.

Then again, if they went all the way, it would be glaringly clear that their latest stuff is far inferior to their latest.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » October 15th, 2017, 2:18 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I vaguely remember playing an NHL 94 mode in one of the NHL games in year's past, but although it had the sounds and controls of the old classic, it didn't have the old-school graphics. That was disappointing.

Then again, if they went all the way, it would be glaringly clear that their latest stuff is far inferior to their latest.

I believe it's the same mode then. This one is arranged so the camera angle and things mimic the SNES version, but it's not actual 16 bit graphics.

I have been wondering why they won't just let me set the game to that mode and let me play it out that way, but your hypothesis is probably right. No sense for EA to make their brand new game clearly look worse by comparison to their old one.

Return to “Now Playing”