Why does EA hate Nintendo Switch so much?

General and high profile video game topics.
OzGamer

Re: Why does EA hate Nintendo Switch so much?

Postby OzGamer » October 7th, 2017, 9:28 pm

Stalvern wrote:This is sheer word salad.

I think you are being harsh, Stalvern. Sure, the post has words spelled incorrectly and it could do with some punctuation marks, but I still understood the point Sonicx9 was trying to make.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 23rd, 2017, 9:16 pm

It is 100% official, the Nintendo Switch port of FIFA 18 is a flop in the US when it got outsold by a 1 year old port of Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2 of all games!: http://nintendoeverything.com/september ... ve-months/ looks like EA is going to drop out of the Nintendo Switch support just like the Wii U all over again!

Dr. EA Robotnik never ceases to amaze with its evilness as the company that many people love to hate on the internet!

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » October 23rd, 2017, 9:37 pm

I've pointed out before that I think EA likes to play "King maker" more than any other publisher (wouldn't put their stuff on Dreamcast, publicly discuss "power concerns" on Nintendo systems shooting their own possible future marketing in the foot, trash-talking ports of other games, etc.). Meanwhile, companies like Ubisoft and Activision make games for everything, and usually see themselves with new franchises or customers (Activision sold more copies of some Guitar Hero games on Wii than anywhere, sold most copies of the first batch of Skylanders on Wii, and sold over a million copies each of three Wii COD games for example, while Ubi is STILL selling new Just Dance games on Wii). Even outside of Nintendo systems, EA plays king maker poorly, with their stupid Xbox exclusivity play with TitanFall forever hurting sales of that franchise (otherwise set to be huge) and their attempt to push their EA Vault thing onto consoles being totally ignored by 2/3 of the console makers. I think this sort of silly control posturing has never really worked for EA, and they have succeeded despite it, and not because of it.

However, I don't think this is that. Look at Capcom. They put a port of SF2 on the Switch. SF2! And it sold gangbusters. Switch fans don't "need" the best version, and publishers don't have to try that hard. I think this is just an example of casual fans buying soccer games, and not a ton of casual soccer fans having a Switch yet. Your own examples show some of the games selling better on old systems, which are often owned and still played by casual game fans who focus mainly on yearly sports releases. I don't think EA did anything here a ton of other developers have not or will not do with their Switch releases. I just think the people who own a Switch right now are more likely to buy, say, SF2 than a sports game. EA now knows that too, and luckily for them, they didn't have to spend too much to figure it out.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 23rd, 2017, 10:07 pm

Atarifever wrote:I've pointed out before that I think EA likes to play "King maker" more than any other publisher (wouldn't put their stuff on Dreamcast, publicly discuss "power concerns" on Nintendo systems shooting their own possible future marketing in the foot, trash-talking ports of other games, etc.). Meanwhile, companies like Ubisoft and Activision make games for everything, and usually see themselves with new franchises or customers (Activision sold more copies of some Guitar Hero games on Wii than anywhere, sold most copies of the first batch of Skylanders on Wii, and sold over a million copies each of three Wii COD games for example, while Ubi is STILL selling new Just Dance games on Wii). Even outside of Nintendo systems, EA plays king maker poorly, with their stupid Xbox exclusivity play with TitanFall forever hurting sales of that franchise (otherwise set to be huge) and their attempt to push their EA Vault thing onto consoles being totally ignored by 2/3 of the console makers. I think this sort of silly control posturing has never really worked for EA, and they have succeeded despite it, and not because of it.

However, I don't think this is that. Look at Capcom. They put a port of SF2 on the Switch. SF2! And it sold gangbusters. Switch fans don't "need" the best version, and publishers don't have to try that hard. I think this is just an example of casual fans buying soccer games, and not a ton of casual soccer fans having a Switch yet. Your own examples show some of the games selling better on old systems, which are often owned and still played by casual game fans who focus mainly on yearly sports releases. I don't think EA did anything here a ton of other developers have not or will not do with their Switch releases. I just think the people who own a Switch right now are more likely to buy, say, SF2 than a sports game. EA now knows that too, and luckily for them, they didn't have to spend too much to figure it out.

Looks like the Nintendo Switch audience is more likely to buy fighting games then sports games because between Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers selling above Capcom expectations, ARMS being a successful unproven new IP for the console, Pokkén Tournament DX outselling Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite in the UK and Japan, and recently Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2 outselling FIFA 18. You do have a good point Atarifever?

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » October 24th, 2017, 5:52 am

It is worth noting that most people hate football in the US. They prefer grid iron. I have read the reviews of Fifa Football on Amazon and most say it is a great game without all of the rpg stuff on the ps4 and xbone. As such it has sold really well in the UK. I would assume this means that next year there will be another one. Sonicx I think that post is too America centric.

I think EA know they are on to a winner with the switch and you will get to see a lot more quality titles on it. Though since the majority of the line up ea have is terrible do not expect much of anything in the way of good software to come from them. UFC snore.. John madden snore, dragon age snore as I played the last one, golf snore.. etc.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » October 24th, 2017, 7:48 am

Part of the problem is that third parties tend to get a bit obnoxious when it comes to the ports that they release. In the case of EA, they release a gimped soccer game on Switch for the same price as the more fully-featured title on PS4/Xbox. Also, even though I'm personally excited for it, was LA Noire as good a pick as, say, GTA 5? Why would you port a game that willl be lucky to crack 250k in sales when you have the golden goose that is guaranteed to sell at least a million? LA Noir is a good game, but it doesn't have the name/reputation of GTA 5. Sad as it may be, because some of the games are stellar, niche games typically pull niche sales numbers.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 24th, 2017, 11:45 am

BanjoPickles wrote:Part of the problem is that third parties tend to get a bit obnoxious when it comes to the ports that they release. In the case of EA, they release a gimped soccer game on Switch for the same price as the more fully-featured title on PS4/Xbox. Also, even though I'm personally excited for it, was LA Noire as good a pick as, say, GTA 5? Why would you port a game that willl be lucky to crack 250k in sales when you have the golden goose that is guaranteed to sell at least a million? LA Noir is a good game, but it doesn't have the name/reputation of GTA 5. Sad as it may be, because some of the games are stellar, niche games typically pull niche sales numbers.

I agree that third parties on the Nintendo Switch can be obnoxious when it comes to the ports that they release. It just shows that Nintendo gamers are treated like second class citizen these days!

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » January 11th, 2018, 4:25 pm

Update: This is surprising, FIFA 18 is a success according to EA: https://mynintendonews.com/2018/01/11/f ... satisfied/ I thought this port would flop because it is based on the PS3/Xbox 360 versions and not the superior PC, PS4 and pro, and Xbox One and X versions. It is so odd that a gimped port with less content did ok in the end which is surprising! Thoughts?

Return to “Video Games General”