CreatiVision

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
pacman000

CreatiVision

Postby pacman000 » October 25th, 2017, 4:14 pm

http://www.madrigaldesign.it/creativemu/

Never heard much about this system other than the name, and the fact that the two controllers could be placed next to each other to make a keyboard. While browsing AtariAge I stumbled on a link to a site with more CreatiVision info than I ever thought I'd see!

Has a history of the system, game downloads, emulators, and contemporary articles about the system. There's even a forum! (Are there that many CreatiVision fans?)

Sut

Re: CreatiVision

Postby Sut » October 26th, 2017, 1:38 pm

Never heard of the thing. Strange how the 2nd gen (and to a lesser extent the 5th gen) seem to be graveyards for a lot of ‘minority’ systems especially compared to other generations.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » October 26th, 2017, 4:24 pm

Sut wrote:Strange how the 2nd gen (and to a lesser extent the 5th gen) seem to be graveyards for a lot of ‘minority’ systems especially compared to other generations.
We're seeing it again today with the micro consoles.

scotland

Postby scotland » October 26th, 2017, 4:56 pm

Don't forget all the Pong systems from Gen 1. You bought the chip from GI, made your own console and controllers, and off you went. While the games were obviously the same using the same chip, its kinda neat to see all the controller designs.

As for microconsoles, how many have their been? We have lots of flashback/retro consoles, and lots of Android based things that play games, but how many micro consoles have their been that don't use the Google Play store (and aren't just kiddie things, since those are a different market).

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » October 26th, 2017, 11:17 pm

scotland wrote:Don't forget all the Pong systems from Gen 1. You bought the chip from GI, made your own console and controllers, and off you went. While the games were obviously the same using the same chip, its kinda neat to see all the controller designs.

It's the same here. This console uses the same Texas Instruments graphics chip that was in the TI-99, the ColecoVision, the SG-1000, the original MSX computers (and their Spectravideo predecessors), and probably a dozen more systems out there that nobody remembers. That thing sure got around.

Sut

Postby Sut » October 27th, 2017, 3:45 am

Just a glance through the games list seems to represent what I dislike most about the 2nd generation.

Clone games and variants
Air Sea Battle
Space Invaders rip off
Pac-man rip off
All the usual suspects

Although to be fair I haven’t physically played any yet so I shall reserve judgement.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » October 27th, 2017, 11:08 am

They do look like fairly high quality clones. And if 90% of games today are some sort of DOOM clone, can we really get up in arms about a few Pac-Man and Space Invaders inspired games. ;)

Return to “Classic Gaming”