Call of Duty: WWII needs day 1 update to play campaign WTH!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sonicx9

Call of Duty: WWII needs day 1 update to play campaign WTH!

Postby Sonicx9 » October 29th, 2017, 10:40 pm

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/201 ... -campaign/

This is something that will make the critic do the infamous Darth Vader's Noooooooooooo!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

It is getting so bad to the point that even major games need day 1 updates when they should have it inside at day 1!

Crummylion

Re: Call of Duty: WWII needs day 1 update to play campaign WTH!

Postby Crummylion » October 30th, 2017, 7:02 pm

Good, all the more reason to not buy the game.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 30th, 2017, 9:28 pm

Crummylion wrote:Good, all the more reason to not buy the game.

We need to spread the word and tell people to protest games that need day 1 updates just to play major content that should have been in the game at day 1!

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 30th, 2017, 10:24 pm

Update: It turns out that this game only works if you have the internet to get the day 1 update because the disc will not work ever!: https://www.dexerto.com/news/sledgehamm ... arly/37720, so more good reasons not to get this game!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 30th, 2017, 10:48 pm

Thanks for the heads up - I just tweeted about this.
The disc version is a total scam. I think I'll save my money.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » October 31st, 2017, 5:28 am

If the point is to keep anyone from playing leaked copies before the official launch, then I guess I have more respect than if it's just the usual post-hoc fixes for rushed development. Of course, that still isn't a whole lot of respect.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » October 31st, 2017, 7:02 am

This is news? Sorry this is every game.

I will not be getting this game as I am sick to death of COD. The last one IW just left me cold.

I am playing Killing Floor 2. It is download only. So I do not expect to see the critic playing it but it is great. It was all a download.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 31st, 2017, 3:33 pm

GameOfThrones wrote:This is news? Sorry this is every game.

I will not be getting this game as I am sick to death of COD. The last one IW just left me cold.

I am playing Killing Floor 2. It is download only. So I do not expect to see the critic playing it but it is great. It was all a download.

But most games will work without the need for the internet if they are single player, but this is inexcusable because never a Call of Duty campaign in the series long history needed a day 1 update to be played as it is a scam!

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 31st, 2017, 5:26 pm

Stalvern wrote:If the point is to keep anyone from playing leaked copies before the official launch, then I guess I have more respect than if it's just the usual post-hoc fixes for rushed development. Of course, that still isn't a whole lot of respect.

It could be either or because they may not want people playing the game to be leaked before the official launch, or to post-hoc fixes because the Call of Duty games come out before Veterans Day deadlines.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 31st, 2017, 5:42 pm

All games are NOT like this, but an increasing number of big-named titles are, particularly on the PS4 and Xbox One. The reason is pretty obvious. They need to get the game out in time for the holidays, but it's not ready when they manufacture the game. So they slap on the disc whatever they have and finish the testing in those extra few weeks. Then they put the onus on the player to update and repair their half-ass product.

For download-only games this is to be expected. Those games are designed to be played online. But when people buy a disc version of a game they are expecting it to work out of the box. Not only that, but they expect the game to be playable at any time in the future. To make a game like this dependent on a server, you are basically selling the customer a long-term rental at full price.

The publishers are getting the best of both worlds and it's the customer who suffers. Instead of going along with it I think it's time we called them out on this.

Return to “Modern Gaming”