2015/9/22: Super Nintendo: California Games II, Phalanx, Tinstar

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Gleebergloben123

Re: 2015/9/22: Super Nintendo: California Games II, Phalanx, Tinstar

Postby Gleebergloben123 » September 25th, 2015, 1:49 pm

Tron wrote:I guess I still have a lot to learn about marketing.

LOL! Tron buddy, I do think you have a point about the box cover. I was just out of college when I saw Phalanx, and I thought it was quirky and goofy. But I don't how well it would fly with young kids at the time, who were probably thinking "What the heck is this?"

It was an interesting marketing choice, that's for sure. My son and I were just talking about commercials the other day, and I told him that the greatest commercial in the world isn't any good if you can't remember the product. That's why I was such a big fan of the "Got milk?" campaign. The marketing guys were brainstorming and came to the conclusion that the only time people gave a darn about milk was when they ran out of it, hence the commercials.

And it does bring up how important marketing can be to a game or console.

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » November 6th, 2017, 5:14 pm

For those of you wondering what the hell they were thinking putting a banjo playing hillbilly on the Phalanx box cover, here is your answer:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/1 ... _its_cover

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » November 6th, 2017, 10:24 pm

"Heavy huh?" is the same as "purple cow", and other marketing terms all meaning the exact same thing. In a crowded field, try to find a way to only ever be compared to yourself.

And that cover totally worked on me as a kid. The story of an epic space battle that was handed down from generation to generation in song? The game had to be legendary.

Except it's just the most generic 16bit space shooter ever made. There's just enough polished gameplay to qualify as fun while it lasts, but not a single moment of it's worth remembering.

It's all like the old 2600 art, back when Atari knew the game itself wasn't enough to set your imagination on fire...

Return to “Review Feedback”