Console Holiday 2017 Shopping Guide

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Console Holiday 2017 Shopping Guide

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 12th, 2017, 12:20 pm

It's a little late, but I figured it might be worth it to update the holiday guide I posted two years ago.

http://videogamecritic.com/extras/info/holiday2017.htm

Let me know about typos, mistakes, etc. I put it together in a bit of a hurry.

scotland

Re: Console Holiday 2017 Shopping Guide

Postby scotland » November 12th, 2017, 2:06 pm

For a buyers guide, it would be nice to parse the difference for someone looking between a PS4 slim and Pro, or Xbox One S and Xbox One X.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 12th, 2017, 2:33 pm

Good idea Scotland. I am updating the guide right now.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » November 12th, 2017, 5:05 pm

Great shopping guides however, I would not agree that the Switch is hard to find. Will you be reviewing the new Atari and Genesis AtGames retro consoles?

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » November 12th, 2017, 8:55 pm

Good stuff; always good to hear your thoughts on the consoles. I only have the PS4 now, but I could see myself getting a Switch within the next year. While the 360 was a great console, I have no interest in the Xbox One at the moment.

While on the topic of Christmas... Tonight I just read a review of Dead Rising 4, and sounds like it's very heavy on the Christmas theme, as it's set during Christmas season. Might be worth picking up for the Christmas special. (I know you'll ask for recommendations eventually, but wanted to mention that one before it slips my memory.) Also hoping that you had luck finding Christmas Country for CD-i this year.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » November 12th, 2017, 11:48 pm

Does anyone have any advice on whether to get a Switch or a New 3DS?

For the Switch there's Mario.
For the New 3DS there's Zelda A Link Between Worlds and Sega's 3D Classics Collection.

I've already played Zelda on the Wii U so that's not a major reason for me to pick up a Switch for Christmas. I haven't bought a 3DS yet and am thinking now is as good a time as any to get one. But then am thinking for not much more I can get a Switch. I'm sure there are quite a few 3DS games to pick up. If you have a New 3DS can you recommend it or is the Switch the way to go. I do have a SNES Classic which is getting most of my playtime in between Cuphead (Xbox One) sessions and also a PS4.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » November 13th, 2017, 1:21 am

PS4 was released in November 2013, not February 2013: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_4

And I agree that the PS4 is not spectacular!

The Nintendo Switch puts both the PS4/Xbox One to shame in terms of exclusives/fun!

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » November 13th, 2017, 8:59 am

You need to update the Switch one to show that Nintendo are still acting like Scrooge with the SSD. I mean 32Gb? It needs at least 64 and for that price should be minimum of 128Gb.
So your review needs to reflect that for big games like Doom it is going to fill 2 thirds of it up. Or if you have Zelda that it might take up the whole thing.

On Playstation, the exclusives include Killzone which is not at all good. Plus the incredibly ropey Bloodborne series. Surely it would be better to say it has the new Nier game? It is not an exclusive as it is on PC but it is exclusive to consoles. Though you have to say that the controller is only for small people. Plus it does not last long with that stupid battery draining blue light on it.

For xbox there also needs to be two price points. It is the cheapest console at 250 dollars but that is the one with the miserly 500 Gb hard drive. Though even with the biggest games that gets at least 5 or 6 of them on your hard drive. Plus in major cities it works fine.
Also with gears of war 4 you could say that it nicely comes with loads of additional content for free.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » November 14th, 2017, 3:24 am

You could include a section for the PC. Nowaday's most AAA multiplatform titles end up on the PC, even if many end up poorly optimized requiring numerous patches and updates. However, there is a price factor with PC gaming. While a Gaming PC is a considerable investment consider this: I bought Rise of the Tomb Raider off Steam for $17 during a sale. Dying Light for $5. Mortal Kombat XL for $5. You just cannot get these prices on a console. Companies like GOG, Origin, and Steam have a lot of content (1000's of games, a lot of rubbish, a lot of good as well). When they have their sales you can pick up numerous games for a song. Recent Steam sale, spend $220 and picked up 30 very good games. Cannot beat that! Got Mad Max for 3bucks!

ActRaiser wrote:Does anyone have any advice on whether to get a Switch or a New 3DS?

For the New 3DS there's Zelda A Link Between Worlds and Sega's 3D Classics Collection.

I've already played Zelda on the Wii U so that's not a major reason for me to pick up a Switch for Christmas. I haven't bought a 3DS yet and am thinking now is as good a time as any to get one. But then am thinking for not much more I can get a Switch. I'm sure there are quite a few 3DS games to pick up. If you have a New 3DS can you recommend it or is the Switch the way to go. I do have a SNES Classic which is getting most of my playtime in between Cuphead (Xbox One) sessions and also a PS4.

Get the Switch - while your PS4 will be a preferred medium for multiplatform titles, there is enough coming out on the Switch to keep you occupied. While the 3DS is a fun little gaming device the Switch definitely has a huge advantage in that it can be played like a regular console. Mario Odyssey and upcoming Xenoblade Chronicles 2 will keep you occupied for a long while.
I have been enjoying Mario Vs Rabbids quite a bit lately albeit it may not be everyone's cup of tea. Not sure if Doom or Skyrim on the system would peak your interest.

Sonicx9 wrote:PS4 was released in November 2013, not February 2013: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_4

And I agree that the PS4 is not spectacular!

The Nintendo Switch puts both the PS4/Xbox One to shame in terms of exclusives/fun!

This year belongs to Nintendo. Next year is shaping up to be a a very good one for Sony - they will run away with 2018. Then there is Red Dead Redemption 2 coming out on PS4 and Xbox - a likely contender for Game of Year 2018 along with God of War. The Switch does not appear to be getting any content next year of this caliber.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » November 14th, 2017, 8:57 am

ActRaiser wrote:Does anyone have any advice on whether to get a Switch or a New 3DS?

I feel like it really depends. If you might only ever get one of them, then I'd always choose a console over a handheld. But if you plan to get both eventually, then I'd go with the 3DS first. Especially since you already played the new Zelda. After all, Mario Odyssey is the only other must-play title on the Switch right now. Beyond that, there aren't even many decent games worth playing. So you could pick up the 3DS now and catch up on the many good games for it, and then wait for more content to come to the Switch. Also, you could always hope for a Switch price drop in late 2018, although I don't think we'll see one until 2019.

Return to “Review Feedback”