1982: A Christmas to Remember

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

1982: A Christmas to Remember

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 10th, 2017, 11:56 am

I originally posted this article on another site many years ago. Decided it was too good to go to waste, so created a new page dedicated to it. Hope you enjoy and it helps you get into the spirits. Comments welcome!

http://videogamecritic.com//extras/fun/xmas1982.htm

LuckyMan

Re: 1982: A Christmas to Remember

Postby LuckyMan » December 10th, 2017, 12:33 pm

Very enjoyable article, Dave! I think my favorite Atari Christmas was probably 1981. My brother and I had gotten our Sears VCS the previous year along with quite a few games including Tank-Plus (Combat), Basketball, Maze Mania, Dodger Cars and Space Invaders, but at Christmas 1981 we received Asteroids, Pac-Man, Breakout, Circus Atari and Yars' Revenge. So we had quite a fun collection to play.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » December 10th, 2017, 5:58 pm

Thanks for sharing. Absolutely terrific story. My best "video game" Christmas was when I got the C-64 disk drive (the year before I got the counsel) which of course increased my C-64 game library exponentially. The game I got on that Christmas was F-15 Strike Eagle and I played it for hours on end. Loved your article Dave. Merry Christmas and I hope Santa is good to you this year! Keep up the great work.

scotland

Postby scotland » December 10th, 2017, 8:04 pm

newmodelarmy wrote:Thanks for sharing. Absolutely terrific story. My best "video game" Christmas was when I got the C-64 disk drive (the year before I got the counsel) which of course increased my C-64 game library exponentially. The game I got on that Christmas was F-15 Strike Eagle and I played it for hours on end. Loved your article Dave. Merry Christmas and I hope Santa is good to you this year! Keep up the great work.

First, my Christmas history parallels Newmodelarmy's. I too got the C64, weathered through tape cassettes for a time, but finally got the 1541 disk drive (which was often more expensive than the computer) for Christmas. I didn't get F-15 Strike Eagle, but I'm sure i had something.

For Dave, awesome story. In those days, buyjng a game for me too was rate. Like Indiana Jones, one had to pick wisely. While I missed Star Raiders, I played Activisions Star Master instead. While nowadays people may not care much, these games turn an earlier game called Super Star Trek into an actual action game. Super Star Trek was a staple of type it yourself BASIC games, with ASCII graphics and turn based gameplay. These games are essentially the same thing, but now its a FPS action game. It really was neat at the time.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 11th, 2017, 10:47 am

Great article. I always like reading about what it was like to experience games before my time, whether in the context of Christmas or otherwise. Even though I wasn't born yet, I can visualize that Christmas morning of 1982 by your writing.

Growing up, Christmas was about the only way that I could get new games. So I'd see a game I wanted, and then I'd wait until Christmas to hope to get it. Christmas '98 was the biggest video game Christmas for me, since that's when I got my Playstation. I had wanted one during the whole year, and with the price dropping to $130, it was a possibility...so I waited until Christmas, reminding my parents as often as I could along the way. Without that Christmas, who knows if I'd still be gaming or if I'd be typing this sentence right now. While my family had a 7800, NES, and SNES before that, the PS1 was the first system that was mine and went in my bedroom- it's the one that took me from just a kid playing video games here and there, to a serious gamer.

Bamakdx

Postby Bamakdx » December 12th, 2017, 12:44 am

Great article. I remember the Christmas of 1982. I got Wizard of Wor and Mousetrap for the 2600. I still have the console and cartridges. It's funny to come home from work and have my 13yo son playing Super Breakout when he has a PS4 attached to the same tv. You had to have an imagination to play video games in the early 80's. The game manuals were as good as the game. I would read them cover to cover many times.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » December 12th, 2017, 10:29 am

Great article! My favourite christmas was when my older brother bought me a Sega Master System in 1987. I still have it and play it to this day.

One of my favourite xmas memories was actually from a few years ago. At the time I was 39 and my brother 47. Our city was hit by a big ice storm and my brother and parents both lost power so they stayed with me for a few days over xmas. It was the first time in almost 20 years that I woke up on xmas morning with my parents and brother.

Anyway, my wife bought me a Wii U that xmas, and my daughter, brother and I quickly went to the basement and hooked it up and played Super Mario U for a good part of the day. My dad would come down and watch us taking turns and playing this game, just like my brother and I would do when we were kids. It was just like old times!

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » December 21st, 2022, 11:14 am

I just read through this and thought it was wonderful. Most of us look back at past Christmases with a fond Nostalgic memory and it was really nice enjoying a slice of your own. You set the scene well.
Merry Christmas everyone! :D :D :D

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 21st, 2022, 4:08 pm

Bamakdx wrote:You had to have an imagination to play video games in the early 80's. The game manuals were as good as the game. I would read them cover to cover many times.

This is a great point. Not only were the manuals well written and nicely-illustrated, but they really got you psyched up to play the actual game!

I remember having to visit my aunt on Christmas so I took the manuals in the car with me to read.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » December 21st, 2022, 9:09 pm

I read it every year on Christmas Eve evening. Looking forward to it again.

Return to “Review Feedback”