Call of Duty WWII has "Requires Content Download" on front label

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Steve

Call of Duty WWII has "Requires Content Download" on front label

Postby Steve » December 5th, 2017, 12:26 pm

I picked up Call of Duty WWII via Amazon during Black Friday/Cyber weekend sales and was surprised to see a small banner on the bottom the box saying "Requires Content Download". Not meant to debate the pros or cons of mandatory downloads for physical games (or possibly single player games) but I thought it was an interesting sign of the times and the first time I've seen anything like it. At least it is an minor improvement over having to scan the back of the box.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Call of Duty WWII has "Requires Content Download" on front label

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 5th, 2017, 8:47 pm

I think this is a positive development. At least they are being straight with the customer. The worst are games that leave it ambiguous. I suspect game companies were getting a lot of returns to necessitate this. Still, I won't be buying it.

Tron

Postby Tron » December 11th, 2017, 11:15 pm

Is this always online or one time?

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » December 22nd, 2017, 8:24 pm

Unfortunate news, Call of Duty: WWII Sells an Estimated 5.24 Million Units First Week at Retail from vgchartz.com.: http://www.vgchartz.com/article/270903/ ... at-retail/

Note: vgchartz.com is not 100% accurate with this so take with a grain of salt as the sales could be more then that, but this means we might see more requires content download physical games in the near future which is not good at all!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 22nd, 2017, 9:34 pm

This is actually not so great for the series, ranking #8 in the history of Call of Duty releases. 5M is a far cry from 12M for Black Ops 2.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » December 23rd, 2017, 1:35 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:This is actually not so great for the series, ranking #8 in the history of Call of Duty releases. 5M is a far cry from 12M for Black Ops 2.

However it did better then last years Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare with 3.27m at week 1 at #9. But for the most part week 1 launches for the series have been getting less due to the milking of this franchise, but because this years game did better then last years game means more milking for next year and beyound!

Nooooooooo!!!!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 23rd, 2017, 10:15 am

I was actually planning on getting this until I heard about all the download BS. Maybe I will if they release a "Game of the Year" Edition with the complete game on the disk (what a concept).

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » December 23rd, 2017, 11:36 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I was actually planning on getting this until I heard about all the download BS. Maybe I will if they release a "Game of the Year" Edition with the complete game on the disk (what a concept).

I would not get my hope as most Game of the Year" Edition versions of Call of Duty games as most are DLC codes (joy!). Because Activision is too cheap and lazy to make new builds!

Steve

Postby Steve » December 23rd, 2017, 1:17 pm

So, I'm obviously one of those people that will continue to buy these games when they come out because I enjoy them enough to warrant a Black Friday price reduction. This game/series has seen a lot of backlash lately, perhaps some of it deservedly but certainly some of it unfair. With this game, I find myself mildly disappointed but perhaps not for the reason people would think. I've completed 9 of 11 campaign chapters and am enjoying the gameplay but the one thing Call of Duty seems to be getting worse at is the difficulty. I've complained about this before with other games. The issue is that when a game has 4 different difficulty levels, they should reflect the skill levels of ALL gamers. In other words, if I choose to play on Recruit (Easy), I don't expect to die, almost at all. To me, this game is unnecessarily difficult at the easiest level and it's starting to annoy me. It really takes away from the story to keep dying. I just tried to multiplayer and it was completely laughable for someone at my skill level. How can games in this day put you against someone who is level 50. This really isn't a call of duty problem as I've seen it in other games too. It's also the reason I don't play multiplayer games only. I haven't tried Nazi Zombies yet and am reluctant to do so unless I can get some equally skilled people to play with.

To keep on topic track, I've always had my console online and have no problem with that. I haven't experienced any updates past the initial download which compared to my Modern Warfare fiasco last year, has been fairly benign. So, no download BS - so far.

By the way, I think last years Infinite Warfare was in my top 3 of the series. Not everyone hates the futuristic games (although Black Ops 3 is my most hated of the series). I'd say this years version has been worth the $40 I spent on it and look forward to seeing what happens next year.

Return to “Modern Gaming”