Best Christmas Game?

General and high profile video game topics.
matmico399

Best Christmas Game?

Postby matmico399 » December 7th, 2017, 7:47 pm

Without a doubt for me it is Christmas Nights Into Dreams on the Saturn. And this was only a promo disc. It’s not expensive but not cheap either. This is a game You can actually set your month and date at. So You can be whirling through the springtime wilderness. But when December 1st hits it becomes a winter wonderland. Christmas tunes play throughout and if You play on Christmas Day Santa Clause even makes an appearance. Way before it’s Time, Christmas Nights in mho is the best Holiday game ever!

Retro STrife

Re: Best Christmas Game?

Postby Retro STrife » December 7th, 2017, 9:00 pm

It's funny you say that because I was thinking the same exact thing when I saw the title of this topic. Christmas NiGHTs. I used to play it every December, but I've forgotten the past few years. I'll have to do that this year. While it's just a promo game, I feel like it's the best combination of great gameplay and Christmas spirit.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 8th, 2017, 10:02 pm

You guys are getting me really psyched up to play this!
Funny how a throw-away promo title has managed to pass the test of time and become an all-time favorite!

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » December 9th, 2017, 11:24 am

I posted this in the Critic's winter game's list, but I'll put it here too. I haven't played it, but I hear that We Wish You A Merry Christmas on the Wii is a fun collection of Christmas themed mini games that parents can sit down and play with their kids.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » December 9th, 2017, 11:49 am

I'm not a fan of Christmas Night (I got it free with Saturn Magazine back in the days). I hate the every repeating jingle bell tunes, even with Christmas... I prefer to play James Pond 2 with Christmas... (doesn't that tunes bother me??)

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » December 9th, 2017, 4:20 pm

Selling my Christmas Nights was one of my most hated mistakes. We were raising money for a house at the time and it was genuinely valuable back then, (I think we got close to or maybe a little over 100 for it.) but damn... I miss that game.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 11th, 2017, 10:55 am

Alucard1191 wrote:Selling my Christmas Nights was one of my most hated mistakes. We were raising money for a house at the time and it was genuinely valuable back then, (I think we got close to or maybe a little over 100 for it.) but damn... I miss that game.

Just a side note that popped in my head from this... Surprisingly (and amazingly), while Saturn games have skyrocketed in price over the years, I've noticed that Christmas NiGHTS hasn't flinched. I bought my copy for around $30 in the mid-2000s, and it still sells for around $30 today. I have no idea why, considering that even the worst Saturn sports titles have doubled or tripled in value during that time. Just a thought that popped in my head, since I'm always trying to keep an eye on market trends and game values.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » December 11th, 2017, 2:29 pm

Retro STrife wrote:
Alucard1191 wrote:Selling my Christmas Nights was one of my most hated mistakes. We were raising money for a house at the time and it was genuinely valuable back then, (I think we got close to or maybe a little over 100 for it.) but damn... I miss that game.

Just a side note that popped in my head from this... Surprisingly (and amazingly), while Saturn games have skyrocketed in price over the years, I've noticed that Christmas NiGHTS hasn't flinched. I bought my copy for around $30 in the mid-2000s, and it still sells for around $30 today. I have no idea why, considering that even the worst Saturn sports titles have doubled or tripled in value during that time. Just a thought that popped in my head, since I'm always trying to keep an eye on market trends and game values.

If it does stay that cheap, I will definitely be purchasing it when I am able. I did absolutely love that game. I would ALWAYS fire it up around christmas. Once it actually sold I made it a point to play it again one last time before packaging it. I even own the original nights and the '3d' saturn controller that came with it... but there is something about Christmas nights. Thanks for the heads up!

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 23rd, 2017, 7:59 pm

Since we were talking about Christmas NiGHTS in this topic, it inspired me to pop it in my Saturn today. Still a great game.. always fun to play through the two levels again around Christmas.

For anyone who has never played Christmas NiGHTS, the easiest way is actually on the PS3 and Xbox 360. A remake of the original NiGHTS into Dreams was released as a downloadable title on those systems several years ago. If you've never played NiGHTS before and don't have a Saturn, then that's definitely the easiest and cheapest way to play it. NiGHTS is a classic, so well worth trying. The PS3/360 version includes the original Saturn version, plus an HD remaster, plus Christmas NiGHTS (HD version). The remake is very well done and definitely worth the price (which is probably like $10 or $15).

Return to “Video Games General”