Doing it wrong?

General and high profile video game topics.
DaHeckIzDat

Doing it wrong?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » December 26th, 2017, 9:22 am

Have you ever done something in a video game, thought to yourself "Wow, this is way too hard/taking way too long!" and then later found out there was a very simple solution right there in plain sight, and you just did things the hard way?

This happened to me last night when I was playing Bloodborne. I was fighting Micolash, Host of the Nightmare. A big part of that fight is chasing him around until you corner him somewhere you can't get out of and then wailing on him. I got to the second part of the fight, and chased him into a room where he jumped off the balcony to the room below. People had left notes on the floor (In FromSoftware Games' fashion) basically saying it's a trap and not to follow him. So I would take the long way around, down the stairs, and start chasing him around again. The wimp is so fast and so slippery that it's very hard to hit him while he's running (hence the cornering him) so what should have been a five minute boss actually took me over half an hour. Turns out, I *WAS* supposed to jump off the balcony after him, because that would lead into the next room where I could corner him.

Stalvern

Re: Doing it wrong?

Postby Stalvern » December 27th, 2017, 3:23 pm

I've done a fair amount of blind sequence-breaking in Metroid-like games because of my willingness to keep cracking away at obstacles I know I can just barely surmount.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » December 29th, 2017, 10:36 am

There were quite a few Shrines in Breath of the Wild that I’m sure I did in a wacky, more difficult way than was intended

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » December 29th, 2017, 11:26 am

ESauce wrote:There were quite a few Shrines in Breath of the Wild that I’m sure I did in a wacky, more difficult way than was intended

I got so excited when I got Revali's Gale, because I thought I could use it to fly right over all the puzzles in the shrines. Unfortunately, Nintendo was smarter than that :P

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » December 29th, 2017, 3:01 pm

Kind of feel that way playing "Breath of the Wild". I love the game but don't feel like the side quests add all that much to the game. I am overcome with the "what the heck am I supposed to do next" feeling constantly. I must be doing something wrong!

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » December 30th, 2017, 11:17 am

newmodelarmy wrote:Kind of feel that way playing "Breath of the Wild". I love the game but don't feel like the side quests add all that much to the game. I am overcome with the "what the heck am I supposed to do next" feeling constantly. I must be doing something wrong!

I certainly felt the same way. I started looking for tips and decided my best course of action was to seek out the shrines and anything with an orange color was my beacon. I started avoiding pretty much all enemies as either I was terrible or those guys could kill me in a single hit. I also skipped most story or side story driven aspects until I had a good number of hearts. One thing I would recommend doing is to buff up your stamina after getting a few extra hearts. The other thing that's going to help is finding pieces of the climbing gear. Once you get a couple of extra stamina sections it makes climbing way easier. Once you can climb, you can then glide to whereever you want to go and by pass the enemies that normally kill you, at least for me that was a good way to advance without constantly dying.

Lastly, always gather whatever ingredients you can and then when you hit a settlement of sorts with a pot, stock up on cooking stuff. There are a few things that can make you super strong if you cook five of them (bananas, if I recall correctly).

Oh, seek out towers as much as possible! I'm sure these tips are completely obvious but it's how I slowly worked my way through the game over several months.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » December 30th, 2017, 12:11 pm

The biggest one I remember is a room in Landstalker (on the Genesis) where I painstakingly worked out a strategy to make it through with damage-boosting and other trickery, and thought to myself "Huh, that was brutal" -- only to discover after the fact that a much more straightforward route was possible.

Like Stalvern, I've also spent inordinate amounts of time trying to sequence-break without meaning to, because I see some item or door that I'm convinced I can reach with just a bit of clever enemy or wall manipulation. I recently had that experience on a small scale when I beat Porky Pig's Haunted Holiday: see something, fruitlessly try to reach it for 5-10 minutes, then go further in the stage and discover that it's an easy backtrack.

This also happens a lot when you don't realize that you can jump/stand on an enemy without taking damage (in games that aren't hop-'n'-bop platformers). I think that may have been the issue with Landstalker.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » December 30th, 2017, 1:12 pm

ActRaiser wrote:
newmodelarmy wrote:Kind of feel that way playing "Breath of the Wild". I love the game but don't feel like the side quests add all that much to the game. I am overcome with the "what the heck am I supposed to do next" feeling constantly. I must be doing something wrong!

I certainly felt the same way. I started looking for tips and decided my best course of action was to seek out the temples and anything with an orange color was my beacon. I started avoiding pretty much all enemies as either I was terrible or those guys could kill me in a single hit. I also skipped most story or side story driven aspects until I had a good number of hearts. One thing I would recommend doing is to buff up your stamina after getting a few extra hearts. The other thing that's going to help is finding pieces of the climbing gear. Once you get a couple of extra stamina sections it makes climbing way easier. Once you can climb, you can then glide to whereever you want to go and by pass the enemies that normally kill you, at least for me that was a good way to advance without constantly dying.

Lastly, always gather whatever ingredients you can and then when you hit a settlement of sorts with a pot, stock up on cooking stuff. There are a few things that can make you super strong if you cook five of them (bananas, if I recall correctly).

Oh, seek out towers as much as possible! I'm sure these tips are completely obvious but it's how I slowly worked my way through the game over several months.

These tips are great so thank you for taking the time to write them. I have been focusing on the shrines and getting the towers. Like you mentioned I am going to focus on cooking some better items and getting the climbing gear (I have the hat!). Anyway, thanks. Incredible game, so much to discover.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » January 1st, 2018, 7:00 am

This part in Super Mario World.

https://youtu.be/htFJTiVH5Ao?t=1h2m55s

I always used to do it the hard way. I'd fly with the cape and stay above the screen safe from enemies, drop down at the last second before the main exit to fly under it, and then quickly try to regain some altitude so I could get back on land behind the main exit to get to the secret exit.

And this was despite knowing that I could jump off Yoshi. I just never thought to put it to advantage to reach the secret exit there...

Return to “Video Games General”