Super Retro-Cade (Retrobit)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Robotrek

Super Retro-Cade (Retrobit)

Postby Robotrek » December 31st, 2017, 3:33 pm

I've been playing around with this thing for a couple of hours, and I'm pleased to say that Retrobit learned their lesson. The Retrobit Generations was hot GARBAGE that none of you should ever waste your money on. EVER. This time however, the emulation is actually very very nice. While the video quality can be a bit soft at times, the games are running well for the most part, and aren't suffering the plethora of issues they were on last years Retrobit console. That's not to say it doesn't have problems however. I don't understand why so many games have both their home console and arcade counterparts. If one is vastly superior to the other, what is the point of having both? I guess you could say it's for preference and comparison, but I think it's a cheap way of padding the number of games. Also, the controller this time around isn't quite as nice. It's shaped more like a SNES controller, and honestly, I prefer the round d-pad of the Genesis style controller to the cross D-pad that this controller utilizes. But I can just use the old controller if I really want to. You can also adjust screen settings better this time allowing you to correct aspect ratios that you may feel are off.

So far I've only been through about 18 games, but the impressions this thing is leaving already is great. Now if it only had an S-video or component option for my old CRT's, then I'd be super happy! But for the convenience of hooking this up to your bedroom TV to play a game before bed, or your living room TV to waste time before guests show up for an occasion, this is certainly a great little system. Even if you haven't heard of most of the games on the system, there are just so many to choose from that you're bound to find at least a handful you like very much. And with the emulation not being trash this time, you can actually enjoy the ones you like!

Overall, so far, my impressions are solid. The Generations was GARBAGE and had no business ever being released, but the Super Retro-Cade is rockin' my world. I think that for 60 bucks, this can't be beat. It costs the same as a new game, and has dozens of wonderful games you can waste hours on. And that's what these plug n' plays are good at. I will probably write a full review when I get the time to finish the games list. So far however, I'm leaning towards a solid B+ grade.

Robotrek

Re: Super Retro-Cade (Retrobit)

Postby Robotrek » January 7th, 2018, 7:11 pm

I finished the whole library. The emulation has been very satisfactory the whole way through. I suggest everybody buy this. Review forthcoming.

Spoiler alert, it's getting a Solid A.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 7th, 2018, 9:15 pm

Wow! Thanks for the heads up! Didn't see this one coming.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » January 8th, 2018, 1:57 am

They sadly got the 3:4 arcade ratio messed up for the vertical games.

Going to "original size" in the screen settings for Air Duel for example, yields a very thin picture that's not nearly wide enough when it's supposed to look like a 90 degree rotated 4:3 display. It should look like this Satan's Hollow screenshot from the excellent last-gen compilation Midway Arcade Origins.

The correct ratio of a vertically oriented arcade game is .75:1, yet these come out at approximately .56:1 instead. So instead of the correct 3:4 aspect ratio, we're looking at 2.24:4.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 25th, 2018, 7:59 pm

Got this today and I'm pleased with it. Extremely easy to set up, and the 90 games (mostly arcade) will take me a good while to work through! I don't think I've ever played a lot of these classics like Double Dragon and Commando in their original arcade form!

Options are limited but being able to set the screen to the original dimensions is a must. The controls have a very slight lag, but no different from any other emulated console. This is a really good buy.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 27th, 2018, 3:33 pm

Just got through playing all the games. Putting together a system review, which should be posted new week.
I can't believe just how good this thing is.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » January 27th, 2018, 7:46 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Just got through playing all the games. Putting together a system review, which should be posted new week.
I can't believe just how good this thing is.

I think now that you've seen how something like this SHOULD be done, you can see why I was so [mod edit: profanity] harsh on the Retrobit Generations.

scotland

Postby scotland » February 1st, 2018, 6:50 pm

Hurrah!

Count me among the Retro Cade owners. All I have done is unboxed it. I was happy to see it came with an HDMI cable, and it has AV output. The AV out was unexpected, and nice for me as I often game on a CRT.

Its about the size and weight I expect of these units. I think AT Games intentionally makes their units at least twice this size is just playing psychology. The first NES on a chip unit I bought years ago made me double take. Somehow I like the heft of the original beasts. Even that NES toaster..

Looking forward to playing. I guess if I don't like the controllers I can replace easy enough, so thats a plus too.

scotland

Postby scotland » February 2nd, 2018, 6:39 pm

I am enjoying this. From what I've played, it looks sharp. The long cables on the controllers are appreciated, although I wish there were a reset button. Reminds me that arcade games are hard. Many are not ones I experienced in the arcades, but I stopped going to arcades, by and large, by about 1989.

Return to “Now Playing”