All these daggone wires!

General and high profile video game topics.
scotland

Re: All these daggone wires!

Postby scotland » January 14th, 2018, 3:56 pm

matmico399 wrote:That’s a heck of a console collection. Question to owners of The Master System. I make pretty decent money but a lot of financial obligations. Is the Master System worth picking up?

I think so, my friend. I give it Zillion stars. That's a bad Master System joke, but I like it.

You have a Genesis, so if its a Model 1, you could just get the Power Base Converter as a passthru to the Z80, and you have yourself a Master System. You can use the Genesis controller for most of the games, but there are a few games you might need a Master System controller.

That Power Base Converter, I think, will work on the Retron 5 too, so you could get double duty out of it. I don't have a Retron 5, but I think when I was considering it I was glad I had a Power Base Converter.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 14th, 2018, 5:48 pm

matmico399 wrote:That’s a heck of a console collection. Question to owners of The Master System. I make pretty decent money but a lot of financial obligations. Is the Master System worth picking up?

Personally it's one of my lesser played systems, but it does have a decent library and can be worth owning. Like with most systems, it comes down to: (a) what systems do you already have, and (b) what eras do you like to focus on. There are plenty of systems worth owning before the Master System, unless you already have most of the mainstream systems, or if you have a particular preference towards 8-bit gaming. At the same time, despite some good games I can't think of any "must-play" games for the system, so you're probably ok if you never get around to it. (The most interesting aspect of the Master System to me is the 3D Glasses, but I have yet to buy a pair and try it out.)

Herschie

Postby Herschie » September 27th, 2020, 1:12 am

After getting hardwood floors installed in our new house (The work was excellent, the floors look absolutely fantastic and no longer creak on certain places), I'm setting up my game room tomorrow. I did like Retro's idea of putting the consoles in an organizer, but I like to have them hooked up and ready to play on a whim. I'm thinking conduit and zipties might be the answer?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 27th, 2020, 10:38 am

I agree you need to have at least the most-used systems read to rock.

I currently have three TVs set up in my game room - one HDTV and two CRTs.

I have a switch box for each one. I divide most of the old systems between the CRTs (one S-Video and one composite) and the rest go to the HDTV. I keep a loose HDMI cord so I can plug in a classic-mini system easily.

I use Pelican switchbox (10 systems each) but I think these are hard to find now.

For the power, get a few of these and you can power any system on at the flick of a switch.

https://www.amazon.com/American-Pc-100A ... 721&sr=8-4

I use an HDMI converter to run some of my older systems (PS2, Neo Geo, GameCube) on the HDTV.

Return to “Video Games General”