Recommend some anime!

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
ptdebate

Re: Recommend some anime!

Postby ptdebate » January 21st, 2018, 10:45 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:
ptdebate wrote:My second favorite is .Hack//Sign. It's the concept that Sword Art is based on, but does the same thing way, way better. The music is incredible. The English version is okay from what I remember.

I tried watching that last night, and was immediately put off by the main character's voice. He sounds like he's six years old. Does it get better? Also, what is the story about, besides the kid being stuck in a video game?

I’d probably spoil something if I told you any more than you already know. The plot unfolds pretty slowly. There are multiple layers going on, but the frame of it all is a genius computer programmer who creates an immersive MMO in order to collect data from people to create the ultimate AI as a replacement for the child he was unable to have due to the death of his lover.
Try the dub if you find the English off-putting. This is early 2000s anime after all.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » January 22nd, 2018, 9:02 am

Sonicx9 wrote:
pacman000 wrote:
Super Mario Bros. has two Anime only available in Japan and can be watched online via fan-subs or bootleg dvds.

Three:

-Super Mario Bros: The Great Mission to Rescue Princess Peach - A loose adaption of Super Mario Bros' story as a feature length film. http://themushroomkingdom.net/mania/smbtgmtrpp.shtml

-Amada Anime Series: Super Mario Bros. - A collection of fairy tales, with Mario characters playing the fairy tale characters. http://themushroomkingdom.net/mania/anime_amada.shtml

-Mario Kirby Masterpiece- An edutainment video. Mario and Kirby star in shorts intended to teach Japaneses writing to youngsters. http://kirby.wikia.com/wiki/Mario_Kirby_Masterpiece

And now there's a fourth: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/0 ... f_in_japan Apparently it's a traffic safety film.

My bad, I only listed the 2 more well known ones.

I also forgot to mention about Azure Striker Gunvolt Anime but the critic needs to review the Nintendo Switch Collectiin first before watching it on YouTube dub and sub languages, Fire Emblem was released here with both dub and sub, and Salamander Anime OVA based on Konami's.Gradius and Salamander games sub only via online.

Don't feel bad; I didn't know of the Kirby thing till a few years ago. And that last article I linked to lists two anime, so there are at least five, not four, Mario-based Japanese cartoons.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » January 22nd, 2018, 12:22 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:Bayonetta: Bloody Fate based on the first Bayonetta game.

Apart from one very cringe-y bit of fan-service, the Bayonetta movie was solid enough. It reminded me a bit of the work of Yoshiaki Kawajiri (Demon City Shinjuku, Wicked City, Ninja Scroll).

I watched a lot of anime in high school and college but I lost interest in it for the most part in the mid-2000s. Over the last couple of years I've been trying to get back into it, but the length of many of the series is off-putting - if it's more than around 50 episodes I have no idea if I'll ever get through it. I do really want to watch Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, so I guess I'm going to have to get over it.

Of the stuff that I didn't see mentioned I really enjoyed FLCL and Azumanga Daioh - there are more but I can't think of them at the moment. Recent stuff I liked (all shorter series) would be Ms. Kobayshi's Dragon Maid (don't let the name scare you off), Space Patrol Luluco, Little Witch Academia and Saga of Tanya the Evil. What I watched of One Punch Man was also great, but I don't know how long you can sustain that premise.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » January 22nd, 2018, 2:21 pm

I have no idea why Japanese anime attracts me more than most stuff made in the west. I honestly don't. Sometimes I think it's because they tell a single coherent narrative, with every episode acting as a chapter in a larger story, rather than a bunch of mini-adventures featuring the same characters. For some reason, I feel more connection to anime characters than other ones. It's weird, because like I said I have no idea why this is. Something about the way they're written just gets to me more.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » January 22nd, 2018, 4:41 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:I have no idea why Japanese anime attracts me more than most stuff made in the west. I honestly don't. Sometimes I think it's because they tell a single coherent narrative, with every episode acting as a chapter in a larger story, rather than a bunch of mini-adventures featuring the same characters. For some reason, I feel more connection to anime characters than other ones. It's weird, because like I said I have no idea why this is. Something about the way they're written just gets to me more.

I think you’re onto something, because I feel this way as well. I think it is also significant that traditional, hand-drawn animation is just as prominent as ever in Japan, whereas here it has all but been replaced by computer animation.

Animation is a bigger industry in Japan than in the US, where satire and children’s fare still seem to represent the majority of what airs on television. Although not a mainstream form of entertainment, Japanese animation does offer a much wider variety of genres to choose from.

scotland

Postby scotland » January 22nd, 2018, 5:23 pm

I did not know hand drawn animation cells were still viable in Japanese animation. That is interesting.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » January 22nd, 2018, 6:00 pm

scotland wrote:I did not know hand drawn animation cells were still viable in Japanese animation. That is interesting.

They aren't. Cels have been essentially dead in anime for the past 15 years or so. I don't think that ptdebate meant that anime doesn't use computers, just that the frames are drawn by hand in 2D instead of being rendered from 3D models.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » January 22nd, 2018, 6:18 pm

scotland wrote:I did not know hand drawn ani.ation cells were still viable in Japanese animation. That is interesting.

What?

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » January 22nd, 2018, 6:19 pm

scotland wrote:I did not know hand drawn animation cells were still viable in Japanese animation. That is interesting.

The animation's drawn by hand, but it's usually scanned into a computer; no major production uses cells anymore.

The last show to use cells was the long-running family series Sazae-San, which started using computers in 2013. Source: http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... to-digital

scotland

Postby scotland » January 22nd, 2018, 6:42 pm

I guess I misunderstood. When I read "traditional hand-drawn animation" I was thinking classic animation cells. I was wondering how in the world that would be viable today. Companies like Filmation always found ways to do it cheaply, and I'm sure computers could help by producing the intermediate cells or partial cells.

It seems like its not cell animation at all - its scanned drawings, that are then animated through the computer.

I also cleaned up my typo. Sorry for that.

Return to “Other Media”