A game I can "sink my teeth into"

General and high profile video game topics.
AtariToday

Re: A game I can "sink my teeth into"

Postby AtariToday » November 30th, 2017, 9:53 am

I'm going to second the suggestion of Red Dead Redemption. I sank so much time into this game and there was so much there to come back to. Absolutely fantastic choice

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » December 3rd, 2017, 7:07 pm

I always look for games like this too. I get jealous of players who seem to be deeply involved in games for dozens or hundreds of hours, never getting bored of the same game, playing through multiple times, upgrading and re-reolling characters, etc. Then I buy a game I think I'll be like that with, I drop 15+ hours on it (like a month of playtime to me), enjoying it the whole time, then a new (to me) shiny game comes along and I forget all about it. It's why I can't finish RPGs anymore, no matter how much I like them.

It's kind of implied in the original post, but I guess you've played Call Of Duty. It's the closest thing I have had to a gaming obsession in years. I literally never get tired of it since finally giving it a try earlier this year. I've got no less than 9 games from the Modern Warfare and later series, with in progress campaigns or online in multiple games at once (some on Wii some on PS3). I can't remember the last time I dug in to a series for so long, without getting tired. I think I'll finish the 3 Wii games in 2018 (max levels online and all campaigns), and will keep playing Black Ops 3 on PS3 the whole year. I don't really know if anything is going to move those games out of the systems all year (except occasional hockey games maybe).

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » January 23rd, 2018, 2:04 pm

I've found a specific example of a game like this, and its Team Kirby Clash Deluxe for 3ds. This was apparently a minigame in Kirby Planet Robobot, and now it's a full game.

The game is one of those free-to-play games, although to me that feels like more of an afterthought, thankfully. You need vigor to fight in battles, and you can only do so many battles at a time, unless you refill your vigor with gem apples, which you have to buy. This doesn't affect gameplay too much. I've played around 7 hours, and haven't spent a penny.

It's an RPG-type game, but I'd say it's light on the RPG elements. You fight bosses as one of four Kirbys, you can be a sword hero, hammer, healer, or beam mage. You can also buy weapons, armor, and healing items. As someone who likes RPG elements but not typical RPG games, this is an enjoyable game for me. Any other games like this?

Return to “Video Games General”