BOTW Ending...are you kidding me? (Spoilers)*

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
newmodelarmy

BOTW Ending...are you kidding me? (Spoilers)*

Postby newmodelarmy » January 24th, 2018, 5:50 am

So I just "finished" BOTW. I enjoyed the game a ton but what is with this ending???? So I beat Ganon only to be able to continue the game right before I fought Ganon? This makes no sense. It is like the final battle never took place. Is there a way to get a different ending? I will do some research I guess.

While I enjoyed this game I think people need to calm down with labeling this as one of the greatest games of all time. The side missions stink, the towns are lifeless and the combat is pretty boring. On the plus side I did enjoy the Divine Beast "missions", sense of exploration and the general Nintendo "charm" of the game. I would put Skyrim above this game any day of the week. A solid "A" for sure.

Anyway...rant over! Peace!

ActRaiser

Re: BOTW Ending...are you kidding me? (Spoilers)*

Postby ActRaiser » January 24th, 2018, 9:30 am

Returning you back to where you start allows you to continue exploring the game if you wish. Did you find all of the pictures and do all of the divine beasts? If you do that and then beat Ganon you'll get an extra scene.

The game is more about the journey than the story telling aspects. It's a bit light on the story aspect but more than makes up for it with the exploration and journey. Even with a so-so ending it's still a top 10-20 game for me.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » January 24th, 2018, 8:48 pm

ActRaiser wrote:Returning you back to where you start allows you to continue exploring the game if you wish. Did you find all of the pictures and do all of the divine beasts? If you do that and then beat Ganon you'll get an extra scene.

The game is more about the journey than the story telling aspects. It's a bit light on the story aspect but more than makes up for it with the exploration and journey. Even with a so-so ending it's still a top 10-20 game for me.

I hear what you are saying but what is the point? I can spend more hours getting spirit orbs for heart and stamina containers I don't need, side quests that have no bearing on the game whatsoever or just roam around the countryside? I like this game a lot but for me it might land in my top 100 of all time.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » January 24th, 2018, 9:50 pm

newmodelarmy wrote:
ActRaiser wrote:Returning you back to where you start allows you to continue exploring the game if you wish. Did you find all of the pictures and do all of the divine beasts? If you do that and then beat Ganon you'll get an extra scene.

I hear what you are saying but what is the point? I can spend more hours getting spirit orbs for heart and stamina containers I don't need, side quests that have no bearing on the game whatsoever or just roam around the countryside? I like this game a lot but for me it might land in my top 100 of all time.

I can understand the complaint that open world games feel kind of empty once you've fully explored them and that the story is generally very far in the background - but I'd be hard pressed to point out anything that Skyrim does better than BOTW.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » January 25th, 2018, 3:51 am

:D Yup, Zelda BOTW sure is not flawless, with boring side quests (and pretty derivative main quest as well), 2nd rate story, unlikable characters integral to the game/story, lifeless NPC's, crummy voice acting, elementary school level dialogue, and a musical score that offers forgettable dulcet tones. But this sums up pretty much all open world games. Breath of the Wild could be the worst game in the Zelda series if one examines it too closely. Conversely, Zelda Breath of the Wild may be the best Zelda game ever made. It is free from the shackles that force a player to play according to a structure or narrative. No other Zelda game can be played like Fallout 4. Pick a direction, go in direction, come across something, scope place out, loot it, get rid of bad guys, then move on in another random direction. Play until you get tired/bored, pop the game back in next day, rinse and repeat. Breath of the Wild is not a flawless masterpiece of video game design, but for what it is, it could be the best Open World Action RPG I have ever played (RPG used tentatively since Zelda has very few traditional role playing elements in it). I liked Breath of the Wild and appreciate it's deepest flaws as being integral to it's gaming experience. A solid B+/A- for me, but we all know it is C/C+ material if we really scrutinize purposefully. A similar critique also applies to Skyrim. Considering the foundations laid out in ES3 Morrowind and ES4 Oblivion, Skyrim is considered sacrilege by some purists yet somehow it wiggled it's way to the forefront of Open World Action RPG's. It is widely considered the best of the Elder Scroll's series. The best games need not be the most well scripted or structured, or be the best within a given constraint of features. Video games are like art, some people consider random scribbles on canvas to be an artistic masterpiece, other folk's see scribbles and prefer a painting to resemble a photograph of a horse - it is what it is :D

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » January 25th, 2018, 4:52 am

ptdebate wrote:
newmodelarmy wrote:

I can understand the complaint that open world games feel kind of empty once you've fully explored them and that the story is generally very far in the background - but I'd be hard pressed to point out anything that Skyrim does better than BOTW.

You are kidding me right? What does Skyrim do better then BOTW...just about EVERYTHING! Clearly you didn't even play Skyrim. Here is a list of things better in Skyrim in case you missed it:'

1)Towns and cities....practically empty in BOTW are bustling and full of activity in Skyrim
2)Combat....BOTW's combat is very basic. Skyrim? Cast magic? Craft weapons? Basically take on any type of combat style you like.
3)Side missions....in BOTW they should have called them "fetch missions" because that is basically all you do. In Skyrim the side missions are much better...join guilds, save people, steal things, become a vampire, etc, etc.
4)Graphics....what is up with the poor draw distance in BOTW?

I could go on but I want to point out that I liked BOTW very much. The sense of exploring the barren land was pretty cool and liked the shrines a lot. However, for ME, this game is not even close when compared to other open world games like Skyrim or Fallout.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » January 25th, 2018, 12:38 pm

You think combat is better in Skyrim? Skyrim’s combat nearly makes the game unplayable for me. It is one of the clunkiest combat systems I have encountered in a modern action game. Sure it has more options but if the basic mechanics are awful what does that matter?

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » January 25th, 2018, 1:40 pm

newmodelarmy wrote:1)Towns and cities....practically empty in BOTW are bustling and full of activity in Skyrim
2)Combat....BOTW's combat is very basic. Skyrim? Cast magic? Craft weapons? Basically take on any type of combat style you like.
3)Side missions....in BOTW they should have called them "fetch missions" because that is basically all you do. In Skyrim the side missions are much better...join guilds, save people, steal things, become a vampire, etc, etc.

1. The towns are NOT empty in BOTW, what are you talking about? Any town you go to, there are plenty of people running around doing and saying things. Maybe the streets aren't packed, but that's because BOTW doesn't have any huge cities, just small-ish towns. And you said it yourself, this is a barren, war torn landscape, so it wouldn't make sense for it to have cities anyway.
2. Like ESauce already said, Elder Scrolls' combat is some of the worst I've ever found. It is the textbook definition of button mashing, and the enemies don't even react when you hit them. Not only do you have a ton of variation in weapon types in BOTW, the only game I've found that matches it in terms of weapon realism (how the weapon handles, how it effects your character, etc) is Dark Souls.
3. I won't argue that most of the sidequests in BOTW are boring, but it's not like Skyrim is any different. You just get more talking before the inevitable "Go to X and kill Y to Collect Z."

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » January 25th, 2018, 1:52 pm

newmodelarmy wrote: Here is a list of things better in Skyrim in case you missed it:'

1)Towns and cities....practically empty in BOTW are bustling and full of activity in Skyrim

I could go on but I want to point out that I liked BOTW very much. The sense of exploring the barren land was pretty cool and liked the shrines a lot. However, for ME, this game is not even close when compared to other open world games like Skyrim or Fallout.

1- Agreed, towns in BOTW are sparse and generally devoid of activity.

2- Combat in BOTW is weak compared to other action or turn based/strategic RPG's. Then again, it is better than all the other Zelda games. Zelda caters to a more general audience. I could just see a collective moan from the Zelda community had Nintendo fashioned combat in a more classic RPG/JRPG manner. A game with widespread appeal would risk becoming a niche product.

3- Side missions? Agreed, Nintendo love the fetch quests in their Zelda titles. BOTW does not break rank here but the side missions are entirely optional. A player that sticks to the main quest taking a few detours here and there will still get 40hours out of this one (par for the course for Zelda). Important to remember that Zelda is not catering to a hardcore RPG audience, it does not necessarily have to measure itself against titles in that genre.

4- Graphics? Hardware of Switch to blame. Frame rate a bigger issue than draw distance for me. On a PS4 or PC, the game would have drawn to the horizon and run at a solid 60fps true 1080p or even 2K/4K. If Nintendo do what they should, which is pull out of the hardware business and develop software for PS/XB/PC, the graphics to BOTW would have been considerably better.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » January 25th, 2018, 3:54 pm

DrLitch wrote:
If Nintendo do what they should, which is pull out of the hardware business and develop software for PS/XB/PC, the graphics to BOTW would have been considerably better.

Haha. And by this, what you must mean is, if Nintendo did what you wanted them to do. Because clearly the hardware business is working out pretty well for them right now.

Return to “Now Playing”