A good video to watch on the PS2 about it graphics and why it is more CRT focused/has more jaggies then rivals.

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Sonicx9

A good video to watch on the PS2 about it graphics and why it is more CRT focused/has more jaggies then rivals.

Postby Sonicx9 » January 27th, 2018, 4:22 pm

This almost hour long video is a must watch as it does explain about the PS2 graphics more.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brMW6KFue-I

Also critic/others, is it me, or do PS2 versions always looked worse and had more jaggies then the Dreamcast, GameCube and original Xbox versions of multi console games from that era and this may explain why. Also PS2 versions often had worse frame rate and load times compared to the Dreamcast, GameCube and original Xbox versions as well. Thoughts?

Stalvern

Re: A good video to watch on the PS2 about it graphics and why it is more CRT focused/has more jaggies then rivals.

Postby Stalvern » January 28th, 2018, 3:19 am

Yeah, the PS2 had infamously coarse graphics compared to its competition. I played enough on both systems to be well-acquainted with this - I even remember seeing some SpongeBob game as a store demo for the GameCube and knowing that even this dumb little licensed thing would look about half as clean on the PS2. The PS2 was successful because it could play DVDs and PS1 games and stayed successful because it accumulated a massive library; visual quality was beside the point.

Sonicx9

Re: A good video to watch on the PS2 about it graphics and why it is more CRT focused/has more jaggies then rivals.

Postby Sonicx9 » January 28th, 2018, 11:57 am

Stalvern wrote:Yeah, the PS2 had infamously coarse graphics compared to its competition. I played enough on both systems to be well-acquainted with this - I even remember seeing some SpongeBob game as a store demo for the GameCube and knowing that even this dumb little licensed thing would look about half as clean on the PS2. The PS2 was successful because it could play DVDs and PS1 games and stayed successful because it accumulated a massive library; visual quality was beside the point.

So odd that the PS2 was newer and more powerful then the Sega Dreamcast, but its games often had more jaggies/worser framerate and longer load times and less 480P support compared to it versions.

I mostly use my PS2 for exclusives from that gen and onward, if the games have other versions like Dreamcast, GameCube, Wii, PS3 remaster or PS2 classic, etc. I normally go for those versions as I can not stand the coarse graphics compared to its competition for multi-platform games. But I do not own any Xbox systems as I do not like the brand, or do PC gaming as it gives me a headache so I will make exceptions.

scotland

Postby scotland » January 28th, 2018, 2:47 pm

I've tried to understand the details of the specs of the DC and the PS2, and it makes my head hurt. In the end, I think the DC is may share the graphical burden better, while the PS2 pushes a lot of the load onto the CPU.

Probably like many of us, I have a large PS2 library, but its not my favorite console of the generation. Which leads to the slight paradox that, on paper, the PS2 was lord and master of the generation for sales and attach rate, but may have failed to have built that strong emotional connection like some other very dominant consoles, like the NES, did. PS2 gamers may not have had the emotional bonds to both hold off buying the cheaper Xbox360 in 2005-2006 and to make that jump into the very pricey PS3 when it launched for the holidays of 2006.

Its probably not fair to say that a console's successor has any effect on how the legacy of the previous console, but I'll throw it out there for debate. (and yes, the PS3 did make a solid comeback, but it had a bumpy start)

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » January 28th, 2018, 2:53 pm

scotland wrote:I've tried to understand the details of the specs of the DC and the PS2, and it makes my head hurt. In the end, I think the DC is may share the graphical burden better, while the PS2 pushes a lot of the load onto the CPU.

Probably like many of us, I have a large PS2 library, but its not my favorite console of the generation. Which leads to the slight paradox that, on paper, the PS2 was lord and master of the generation for sales and attach rate, but may have failed to have built that strong emotional connection like some other very dominant consoles, like the NES, did. PS2 gamers may not have had the emotional bonds to both hold off buying the cheaper Xbox360 in 2005-2006 and to make that jump into the very pricey PS3 when it launched for the holidays of 2006.

Its probably not fair to say that a console's successor has any effect on how the legacy of the previous console, but I'll throw it out there for debate. (and yes, the PS3 did make a solid comeback, but it had a bumpy start)

PS2 had a more powerful CPU, more main RAM, bigger disc storage, and more graphical features on thr GPU, but the bottlenwck was lower VRAM and jaggy softining.

Sut

Postby Sut » January 28th, 2018, 2:56 pm

The PS2 has definitely aged the worse of the 6th gen systems graphically. But boy does that game library rock.
None of the other 3 come close in variety, quality or quantity.

But paradoxically I agree the PS2 doesn’t have that nostalgic, emotional pull, but then neither does the PS1. Perhaps because the PlayStation brand is still alive and pretty much dominant and we only have that longing for something that has passed ?

scotland

Postby scotland » January 28th, 2018, 3:39 pm

Sut wrote:The PS2 has definitely aged the worse of the 6th gen systems graphically. But boy does that game library rock.
None of the other 3 come close in variety, quality or quantity.

But paradoxically I agree the PS2 doesn’t have that nostalgic, emotional pull, but then neither does the PS1. Perhaps because the PlayStation brand is still alive and pretty much dominant and we only have that longing for something that has passed ?

That's a neat question, my friend.

We see in both Sony (PlayStation) and Microsoft (Xbox and Windows) that huge desire to build a brand, an ecosystem, and never let you go. We see it all over the marketplace, from Apple iPhone to Ford F150s. Yet we also see them struggle when they want to say "Hey, kids - this is new and better". Windows had to skip Windows 9 to be WIndows 10, and Xbox had to label itself Xbox One, trying to have their brands history and eat it too.

These companies want you to thing high tech, but nostalgia can come into play when its time for that next big purchase. I think we have seen a bit of that with the Xbox 360 fandom not necessarily translating into an Xbox One fandom. Of course, the Xbox One had all those PR issues in the months before its launch.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » January 28th, 2018, 4:32 pm

scotland wrote:Probably like many of us, I have a large PS2 library, but its not my favorite console of the generation. Which leads to the slight paradox that, on paper, the PS2 was lord and master of the generation for sales and attach rate, but may have failed to have built that strong emotional connection like some other very dominant consoles, like the NES, did.

I agree there isn't a great deal of PS2 nostalgia as far as I can tell. I seem to feel about it exactly like you do (big, interesting library I rarely think fondly about). However, I think part of this may be the age of the audience it sold to more than anything about the system.

The PS2 was very much a tween to early 20s system. That's cool and all, but your real nostalgia systems were the ones people had when they were 6 - 12 or so. I personally think the Wii will eventually have a large nostalgia following, as a lot of kids played Mario Party, Wii Sports, NSMB, etc. with their family and friends while also watching their cartoons on it on Netflix when that was brand new. I think bowling against your parents and having your older brother lead your bubbled-up character through Bowsers castle after eating cereal watching Power Rangers on the same system will be very strong memories indeed.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » January 28th, 2018, 5:37 pm

I think the main reason is that the system just didn't have a lot of character. It was the functional but basic console that everyone had, essentially an appliance. It even looked like an appliance; entirely regardless of its playing DVDs, you could confuse the thing for a low-end DVD player. People remember the GameCube and Dreamcast fondly because they were distinctive, memorable systems; even the Xbox had a more definite image (big, powerful, serious) than the PS2. You could play a lot of cool games on the PS2 in the same way that you could watch a lot of cool movies on it - great content, but the system was just a box that let you get to it. Jack of all trades, master of none. Lowest common denominator. Other clichés - you get the idea.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » January 28th, 2018, 6:57 pm

The fat PS2 is pretty indistinct, but I think it bears mentioning that the slim PS2 is an engineering marvel and quite a sleek piece of hardware - especially the silver and white models.

Return to “Classic Gaming”