Superhero shows on Hulu?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
DaHeckIzDat

Re: Superhero shows on Hulu?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » January 30th, 2018, 6:34 pm

I discovered My Hero Academia a while ago, and I felt like that was perfect for what I wanted. It uses the whole masked superhero trope, but fills it with new and interesting powers and cool storylines. But it's really short, and I'm definitely going to watch the entire thing before I finish my new book. Do you know of anything similar to that?

scotland

Postby scotland » January 30th, 2018, 7:10 pm

ActRaiser wrote:Awesome write up scotland!

If you want inspiration maybe consider reading some of the best? Good luck!

Thanks Actraiser. I agree, read some of the best.

I also found a book on my bookshelf - "Writing for Comics with Peter David", written in 2006. Comics has its share of both famous writers and artists, but I think its a bit harder for the writers. Stan Lee, Robert Kirkman, Alan Moore are some of the most famous writers. Peter David has written a lot, but is probably best known for runs on the Hulk and Aquaman. He gave Aquaman his hook, and was on Hulk for more than a decade, giving us things like the grey Mr. Fixit version of the Hulk.

Peter David's book covers stuff like understanding the mythic archetypes of superheroes, building conflict, character development, understanding what makes a good villain, pacing and story structure for comics (3 act play kinda stuff), long form story telling with continuity, dialogue and dialogue for combat, etc. Something to chase down.

I'd hit the library. They'll have stuff, like a copy of Watchmen, to get a good start.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » January 30th, 2018, 8:28 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:I discovered My Hero Academia a while ago, and I felt like that was perfect for what I wanted. It uses the whole masked superhero trope, but fills it with new and interesting powers and cool storylines. But it's really short, and I'm definitely going to watch the entire thing before I finish my new book. Do you know of anything similar to that?

Booooo!

You're taking the easy and most likely wrong way to learn about the best superhero stories.
;)

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » February 13th, 2018, 5:36 pm

Super Hero Name generator: http://home.hiwaay.net/~lkseitz/comics/ ... erogen.cgi

It's Fun!

Example output:

Ice Shield

Flying Rage

War Vision

Bee Woman

Gold Giant

Super Flower

Senora Kid

Dawn Alien

Bat Fly

Winged Arrow

Lieutenant Storm

Micromouse

Screaming Justice

Yellow Empress

Earth Zero

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » February 13th, 2018, 9:12 pm

I've already got quite a few names picked out, and some interesting powers to go with them.

Flashbang uses his body heat to cause explosions. If he uses it too much, he freezes to death.

Checkers can give physical mass to and control the colors red and black (imagine a giant tentacle of red coming out of a wall that was painted red, and it hits you)

Psychosaurus can turn into a raptor (sometimes when she doesn't want to) and communicate telepathically.

Zurge ("Because Surge is copyrighted!") can absorb electricity to give himself super strength, speed, etc. He carries a taser to jab himself with just for that purpose.

Roadrage can summon a firetruck. He named it Brunhilde. He can also drive it with his brain, and then he just... runs people over. He's not one for subtlety.

The [as of now unnamed] can increase her size and strength to Godzilla-ish proportions, but it takes a long time to do so.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » February 15th, 2018, 11:05 am

DaHeckIzDat wrote:I've already got quite a few names picked out, and some interesting powers to go with them.
Those are cool sounding characters. I detect a hint of camp. How serious will this be? 60's Batman? 70's Superman? 89's Batman?

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » February 15th, 2018, 11:36 am

pacman000 wrote:
DaHeckIzDat wrote:I've already got quite a few names picked out, and some interesting powers to go with them.
Those are cool sounding characters. I detect a hint of camp. How serious will this be? 60's Batman? 70's Superman? 89's Batman?

I'm going to try to give it the same feeling as modern Marvel movies, but written like a YA book series that follows a single character the whole way through. Assuming I don't decide to kill him off midway.

Return to “Other Media”