Super Retrocade Review

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Super Retrocade Review

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 4th, 2018, 9:58 am

Let me know what you think! I expect there may be some typos reported.

http://videogamecritic.com/extras/revie ... rocade.htm

scotland

Re: Super Retrocade Review

Postby scotland » February 4th, 2018, 5:19 pm

Thanks so much for going through the game list with a one line reaction. I am looking forward to many hours of fun on this. Also thanks for suggesting changing the default screen layout.

I like the long cables, but I have to get up and walk those 9 feet to change games, so a reset and turbo button would be nice. Those long cables put Nintendo to shame. The controllers don't feel rugged, so eventually they may get replaced.

Really enjoying Cobra Command at the moment. Good arcade quarter muncher.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » February 4th, 2018, 5:43 pm

Great review! I didn't expect such a comprehensive look at the individual games. Shame that Super BurgerTime turned out to be a bust, but the rest more than make up for it. So much cool stuff that I have to check out now - thanks especially for introducing me to Varth!

What did you mean by "curious gaps" in the selection? Apart from a few really big names like Ghosts 'n Goblins and Double Dragon, the whole lineup seems like a haphazard mishmash of whatever second-tier near-classics could be thrown on.

VideoGameCritic wrote:Let me know what you think! I expect there may be some typos reported.

I might as well take the bait and just proofread it systematically.

It turns out that there really aren't that many mistakes, considering the length.

last years' Retrobit Generations should be last year's Retro-Bit Generations
(Last year was only a single year, and the company's name is Retro-Bit, not Retrobit; the same also goes for the other mention of "Retrobit" a little later.)

The first game I tried was 1942 and was surprised to see it fill up my entire screen. should say 1942, and I was surprised
(You were surprised, not the game.)

I'd advise you set all of the games to their original format should say advise you to set

The bulk of the games are arcade titles not previously available. should say not previously available in home versions

Despite being the most jaded video game player on the planet, this collection fascinated me to no end. should say either Although I'm the most jaded video game player on the planet in the first half or I was fascinated to no end by this collection in the second.
(This collection is not the most jaded video game player on the planet.)

Bump n Jump needs apostrophes around the N.

This side-scroller shooter is bizarre! should say side-scrolling shooter

Side-scrolling starring a witch reminded me of the Cotton series should say This side-scroller starring a witch

"Courtesy" is misspelled in the screenshot credit.

And a typo in the update to the Retro-Bit Generations review: "superseded" has an S in the middle, not a C.
Last edited by Stalvern on February 6th, 2018, 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 5th, 2018, 7:59 pm

Thanks for being so thorough Stavern! I applied most of these changes.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » February 5th, 2018, 8:14 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Let me know what you think! I expect there may be some typos reported.

One more small fix. Near the start of the article, in the bulk list of NES games, it reads "Might Final Fight." Should say "Mighty." I hate to nitpick, because I love the format of these quick reviews, but hey, you asked ^_^

As far as the article goes, I had no idea this thing even existed! Where did you even hear about it, Critic? You definitely did your job as a reviewer, as after I read your article, I went from having no idea that the product existed to wanting one for my very own. Badly. I felt the same way after reading your numerous Atari Flashback reviews. Whether you meant it that way or not, you're quite the salesman!

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » February 6th, 2018, 7:22 am

Btw Critic, it’s Stalvern. :D

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » February 6th, 2018, 7:22 am

This is a great review/summary. Thanks for taking the time to share. I love this compilation consoles! I would totally get this but I already have way too many games I will never get to! Can't beat the price on this one that is for sure.

zetax

Postby zetax » February 6th, 2018, 10:46 am

Dave,

Have you tried loading any ROMs onto an SD card and popping it in the back?

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » February 6th, 2018, 3:30 pm

zetax wrote:Dave,

Have you tried loading any ROMs onto an SD card and popping it in the back?

From what I understand, this will work as long as you put the ROMa in a folder titled "retrobit games".

I decided to pass on this since I ended up getting my Retropie setup up and running again.

Also, it appears very few USB controllers will work properly with it, which is a shame since this has the potential to be a really great little arcade machine. I probably would have bought it the day it was released if I was certain my USB joystick was compatible with it.

I may still pick one up in the future if I can get it really cheap.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 13th, 2018, 7:41 pm

Just made a tweak to the review. Although the load/save feature is nice, an auto-load (or at least a prompt) would be nice. Otherwise you don't even know you have a save file until you try to load.

Return to “Review Feedback”