Horizon Zero Dawn's Stealth SUCKS!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
DaHeckIzDat

Horizon Zero Dawn's Stealth SUCKS!

Postby DaHeckIzDat » July 30th, 2017, 2:09 pm

I normally love stealth games. There's something incredibly satisfying about sneaking up on your enemies one by one and killing them without them even knowing you're there. When I play the Arkham games, I enjoy the stealth sections even more than I do the brawling ones. And yet, that's exactly what I hate about Horizon Zero Dawn. The whole system feels broken to me. I'm on the part where you clear out the cultist camps in Revenge of the Nora. There are so many enemies in one place that staying out of sight is practically impossible! The only place you can hide is in the red grass (I even think they can see you through the walls sometimes), and the minute you step out of it, "THERE SHE IS! GET HER!" I've probably done this stupid mission twenty times, and no matter what I try nothing works. The minute you come out of cover, they're all over you. And since this seems to be a stealth-centric game, I'm not sure if I've got it in my to play much more of it. Am I missing something here? What is everybody praising this game for?

DaHeckIzDat

Re: Horizon Zero Dawn's Stealth SUCKS!

Postby DaHeckIzDat » August 10th, 2017, 4:14 pm

All right, so I've figured out the trick. You find a spot of tall grass, never leave it, and whistle all your enemies over and stealth kill them. The whistle only ever attracts one person at a time, and they'll keep coming over no matter how many of their buddies' corpses are piled up at the edge of the grass. I didn't want to do this at first because it feels like cheating, but this seems like it's the only way to do the stealth segments. Not sure how I feel about this. At least I beat the mission, I guess...

Sut

Postby Sut » February 6th, 2018, 6:21 am

I’m about 10% through this game. And whilst I appreciate the quality, scope and somewhat original setting. I’d have a tough time saying I’m enjoying it.
The bow seems a primary weapon but seems to barely do any damage and I’m fighting the fighting sections frustrating. The stealth whilst fun is nowhere near MGS levels of competence.

What I would say I felt this way about Fallout 3 and 4 initially and they gradually won me over. I’m hoping the same thing happens here.

rahimtx

Postby rahimtx » February 6th, 2018, 5:22 pm

Sut wrote:I’m about 10% through this game. And whilst I appreciate the quality, scope and somewhat original setting. I’d have a tough time saying I’m enjoying it.
The bow seems a primary weapon but seems to barely do any damage and I’m fighting the fighting sections frustrating. The stealth whilst fun is nowhere near MGS levels of competence.

What I would say I felt this way about Fallout 3 and 4 initially and they gradually won me over. I’m hoping the same thing happens here.

I felt the bow was real valuable. There are stronger bows and they are upgradable. The most important factor in dealing damage to me is scaning each machine. This will tell you the most vulnerable spots, plus which arrows are the best to use. Some are weak against fire arrows for example. I hope this helps.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » February 6th, 2018, 9:06 pm

I loved this game! I enjoyed he combat and the mission variety. I didn't have a problem at all with the stealth missions which is odd because I usually do!

Sut

Postby Sut » February 7th, 2018, 2:52 pm

Played on this for a couple of hours last night and I think I’m finally grasping the games mechanics.

What I really enjoyed is how the game kinda teaches you without tutorials. I completed my first cauldron stage and was getting incredibly frustrated with the final fire breathing enemy. But the game forced me to alter my strategy, this time setting a number of traps and tripwires giving me time to attack the beast.
It gave me the kind of satisfaction I used to get from beating bosses in 16-bit games after you’ve figured out the best strategy.

Think I’m going to get really into this, hopefully should get some more game time tonight.

Sut

Postby Sut » March 15th, 2018, 2:06 pm

Complete u-turn on this game. Completely agree with newmodelarmy I love this game !
I tend to be this way with big open world action RPG’s once I’ve put a few hours into it and understand what the game is asking of me and developing different strategies.

Love the over ride mechanic and pitting machines against each other. Got my head around the stealth (you need the whistle) and enjoyed the combat.

Brilliant game score bumped up to an A.

Return to “Modern Gaming”