The worst games you have played on each system

General and high profile video game topics.
Alucard1191

Re: The worst games you have played on each system

Postby Alucard1191 » February 8th, 2018, 8:39 pm

Alright... so my list won't have as many systems as some of you more hardcore collectors out there.

NES: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. This might be the worst game I've ever owned/played.

SNES: Batman Forever, for a time this and Super Mario World were the only games I owned on this system, (before I mowed lawns for extra money as a child.) and this did unfortunately get way too much time from me as a child. This is definitely the worst game that has gotten the most time from me.

PS1: Blaster Master, This came into the store awhile ago and I thought, "it couldn't possibly be as bad as the VGC says it is..." so take it home and play it... and it is. It is that bad. Horrible game.

PS2: Hmm.... I'm going to get some flack for this, but FFX and FFX-2. I really, really didn't like these games and they made me stop following Final Fantasy as a franchise. (That and either 11 or 12 was an MMO, which made me even less interested.)

Xbox 360: I don't own this system, so my experience is limited but: Ninja Gaiden 2. I loved the first one so much, consider it an A+ game, and the sequel felt so... shallow and disappointing.

Gamecube: F Zero GX, I really, really, really wish this game was easier. I want to like it so much. I love the SNES Zero and F Zero 64, this one is such a let down though.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » February 8th, 2018, 9:33 pm

Oh, and my Genesis nomination just hit me.

Taz Mania, talk about a game that literally all the creative energy went into the graphics. The mine cart levels are insanely difficult, and the controls are awful all around. As a young person the graphics drew me in... but the interest was thankfully not kept.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » February 9th, 2018, 12:10 am

DaHeckIzDat wrote:Wii U: Mario 3D World (Slower paced than a 2D Mario game but lacking the freedom of a true 3D one, what's left to enjoy? Nothing)

I actually felt the same way for the first two levels, but (at least for me) the game ramps up substantially after that.

Alucard1191 wrote:Oh, and my Genesis nomination just hit me.
Taz Mania, talk about a game that literally all the creative energy went into the graphics. The mine cart levels are insanely difficult, and the controls are awful all around. As a young person the graphics drew me in... but the interest was thankfully not kept.

Agreed - I received it the same Christmas as my Genesis and I think I put in Sonic the Hedgehog after about 10 minutes of frustration. I did eventually beat the game on Easy (the only mode where you can survive a fall into a bottomless pit - which is crazy, since the game asks you to make leaps of blind faith to progress) because:
1. I never owned more than 10-15 games for the Genesis, so they all received plenty of attention, and
2. I was young enough to not understand the concept of a bad game - if I wasn't enjoying myself, I always assumed that it was my own fault.

Sut

Postby Sut » February 9th, 2018, 2:27 am

ptdebate wrote:Genesis: Sub Terrania

Interesting. I found this an interesting well programmed game, but admittedly very difficult. It’s one I’ve always felt if I sank enough time into would ‘click’. Although I haven’t gone back to it yet. It’s got sort of an ST-Amiga game style vibe.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » February 9th, 2018, 10:02 am

velcrozombie wrote:
DaHeckIzDat wrote:Wii U: Mario 3D World (Slower paced than a 2D Mario game but lacking the freedom of a true 3D one, what's left to enjoy? Nothing)

I actually felt the same way for the first two levels, but (at least for me) the game ramps up substantially after that.

I had more fun watching PB&Jeff play it on YouTube than playing it myself. Maybe it's one of those games you need to play with a friend to really get.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » February 9th, 2018, 10:47 am

I like mario 3d world alone or with friends but the fun factors shoots way up of you have 3 people to play with.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » February 12th, 2018, 4:07 am

Some really good bad titles came up Master blaster. I seem to remember being stoked to play it and then it was what?

I love the Jag. It was the system of the 90s. Even the duffers were entertaining and I loved Cybermorph.

After reading about Busby 3d. I am tempted to play it to see if it is as bad as people say it is.

I was looking at my comments and there are so awful xbox 1 games in my list and I wondered why. Then I remembered game with gold. Every month you get a chance to play some really duffers. My theory is they know they are duffers but think that someone might like them and buy the paid dlc for each title. DLC as the game is released is like say, look we only wanted to give you half the game. Now you have to pay to play the rest of the game. Where as before if a game was successful then it would be released to give the game greater longevity.

TheBlondeGamePunk3

Postby TheBlondeGamePunk3 » February 12th, 2018, 1:15 pm

Eh.. I can't remember the last time I considered a game worst except back in 2015 when I got my PS4 and got 2014's Godzilla. But now that the memories and bitter tears are here..I'll start there at the most recent systems and go back from there to about the Gameboy since I don't own any consoles from the 1980's:Like the Critic explained in his review a $50 game with very little content much like most cash grabs is not what I'd call enjoyable.

Playstation 3:Having played about 250 ps3 games, Three come to mind in terms of worst ever:The Wheelman because although it was a nice idea at the time featuring an open world and an impressive story the game's controls and it's poor collision detection were hell and I gave up on it after three tries.

Sorcery:Though the PlayStation Move camera was a unique addon for the Ps3, Sorcery's movement and gesture controls for the controllers was pathetic and I never could get very far in the game.

Fairytale Fights:I did like this game when I first got it because it was a crazy twist on classic tales, It's poor controls and somewhat lacking story didn't win me over as I played and while it has some options for customization it still is not a good game.

Nintendo Wii:Just one:Manhunt 2. While the Ps2 version had reasonable graphics and an impressive storyline and the classic gore the series is famous for, The Wii version's graphics were rough to put it lightly and the wii remote's swinging and gesturing to do the executions was painful.

Playstation 2:Turok Evoltuion: I enjoy the turok series like others when it was on the Nintendo 64, That's what introduced me to the dinosaur hunter but Evolution for the PS2 is as bad as bad FPS games can get due to poor controls and dreadful enemy A.I.

Gamecube:True Crime:New York City, This is a given, Sure the game was rushed for christmas and it isn't great but playable on PlayStation 2, This gamecube port has the cookie cutter look and feel with very few songs, and extremely pathetic Enemy A.I., Mission layout, and game breaking bugs.

Sega Dreamcast:Mortal Kombat Gold, Jesus.. I remember when this expanded version of Mortal Kombat 4 came out, I thought it would be better but it wasn't because there was literally nothing new aside from better graphics, and a few new characters. I'd expect an "polished" version of the game to have more than this..

Super Nintendo:Beethoven's 2nd, If it was made to show that any movie could be made into a game, Then this game showed this was a bad idea. Controls in this game are a complete afterthought and only serve to make it hard to get through this side scroller.

Gameboy:Mickey's Dangerous Chase, While I know the gameboy had many side scrollers this one is the worst out of all of them, The game's big problem? Not being able to attack enemies so you have to run through each level without dying and while this is challenging to some, I find it unforgivable due to how long the levels are.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » February 12th, 2018, 4:34 pm

Oh, sega saturn. I have a Saturn collection! And I have some horrible games in there. Ouch.

Robotica is mentioned upthread, but giving that game a shout out. I actually beat that atrocity as a child, and nothing ever happens. There isn't any increase in difficulty or story scenes or anything... such a pathetically lazy game.

But the winner for me here is Battle Monsters. My cousin gave this to me and as it was one of about 6 games I owned at the time, it got more play time that it even remotely justified. Horrible, ugly, pathetic fighting game.

Honorable mention for Criticom on the Saturn as well. While the "upgrading" of the characters was somewhat innovative at the time, the controls suck, the graphics are abysmal, and the overall experience was almost as bad as battle monsters. (Also "beat" this fighter as well... level 3 lizard spear dude... forget his name. I want to say Gorn but I think that's the lizard people on the old star trek.)

goldenband

Postby goldenband » February 13th, 2018, 12:50 pm

For many consoles, I think the real answer is likely to be buried in the sports library. In my case I'm into tennis games, so a lot of those will be my chosen examples -- and boy, are there some bad ones out there.

Odyssey²: Hockey/Soccer, easily. i don't lightly use the word "unplayable", but this is a game where, though it's meant to be competitive, you often have to collaborate with your opponent to get your players untangled from each other.

Atari 2600: Sssnake may not be the worst game on the system -- that's probably Bi! Bi!, which literally can't be played -- but it's the game that made me realize as a kid that some publishers were knowingly putting out garbage. Everything else until then I was willing to give the benefit of the doubt, e.g. the Swordquest "games", but not Sssnake. Funny thing is, I actually like a lot of Data Age games.

Intellivision: If we're sticking to the original 125, I suppose it has to be Donkey Kong. On the other hand, at least it's playable, whereas games like Pole Position and Turbo teeter on the edge of playability. Also I don't know why Las Vegas Roulette even exists, and I really don't like Star Strike.

Vectrex: Pole Position, maybe? Is that the one where your car goes flying all over the road at the slightest touch?

NES: Tough call; probably something by Color Dreams, or maybe the likes of Puzzle. (At least some of the games on Action 52 are kind of fun if you accept their demented logic.) If we stick to licensed games, I think the stairway level in Ghostbusters is kind of unforgivable, but at least it can be cheesed or accidentally overcome. The game I really can't stand is Athena. Every time I try to play it I wind up swearing and wanting to throw my controller.

Sega Master System: Many people would say ALF, but I don't mind that one nearly as much as Alex Kidd in High-Tech World. There are also a bunch of offensively poor action games on the system, like ESWAT and Vigilante. Some late ports from 16-bit systems were really trashy but I don't count those.

Atari 7800: I think Karateka may take it, but I haven't played enough of the full library to be sure.

Genesis: Objectively, Andre Agassi Tennis might be the worst game I've played on the system, since you really can't play it like a tennis game and have to use exploits instead. On the other hand, at least AAT does what it says it'll do, whereas Onslaught deliberately defrauds the player into expecting a big action RPG; instead, it's essentially the same level 100+ times in a row.

Special shoutout to IMG International Tour Tennis, with a completely broken 1P mode since you can just lob the CPU over and over again and it'll whiff. At least it's got 2P-4P support.

Game Boy: Who knows, there are so many half-baked titles on the system. Wayne's World is pretty bad, and Jimmy Connors Tennis is ridiculously repetitive. Fish Dude is barely a game; same with Fist of the North Star.

SNES: Race Drivin' should never have been released with that framerate. There's probably something worse out there in the Super Famicom library.

Sega CD: I'm a firm believer that a game should be evaluated on all difficulties, and so many Sega CD games are offensively unplayable on Hard mode, like Crime Patrol and Star Wars: Rebel Assault. The actual worst is probably Supreme Warrior or Slam City (take your pick between the Sega CD and 32X versions), but I'm more offended by trash like Trivial Pursuit (no 1P mode), Wild Woody (who wants to play this?!), or the Japanese-exclusive Anet Futatabi, which is a beat-'em-up with great anime cutscenes and horribly broken design.

Sega 32X: If we stick to cart games, objectively it's probably BC Racers. But I really can't stand Blackthorne and its crappy, bro-tastic aesthetic. Something about the fact that you can shoot the prisoners and suffer no consequence...it just leaves a bad taste. Also, the game is overlong and plodding.

Jaguar: I don't know yet, I haven't played enough games. Checkered Flag will be hard to beat, though -- it's just embarrassing.

3DO: Shadow: War of Succession. Outside of 1999-era Flash games (which are what it resembles most), it's probably the worst garbage claiming to be a fighting game that's ever been released. At least Plumbers Don't Wear Ties was semi-intentionally amusing. Also, Alfred Hitchcock Presents is barely a game -- just a promo disc with a Concentration game, essentially -- but manages to screw even that up by not stopping the in-game timer during disk access, which is a real cheap shot.

PlayStation: Power Serve 3D Tennis is just awful. No career mode, broken gameplay, stupid camera angles...it's just trash. I think there may be worse Euro-exclusive tennis games out there, but Power Serve is pretty wretched.

Saturn, N64, Dreamcast, GameCube, etc.: I don't know their libraries well enough to say. All-Star Tennis '99 on the N64 is pretty awful, though, and a bunch of N64 games make me physically ill like Forsaken and Monster Truck Madness.

Return to “Video Games General”