Times the VGC steered you right... or wrong

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Times the VGC steered you right... or wrong

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 14th, 2018, 8:43 pm

Readers often thank me for bringing their attention to certain games. Then again, I'm sure people have bought games based on on my reviews that didn't pan out.

I'd like to hear any examples you have of these.

bluenote

Re: Times the VGC steered you right... or wrong

Postby bluenote » February 15th, 2018, 9:49 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Readers often thank me for bringing their attention to certain games. Then again, I'm sure people have bought games based on on my reviews that didn't pan out.

I'd like to hear any examples you have of these.

I don't have any specific examples, but when I'm looking for a new game I typically check your review first before buying. Most times your review lines up with my own feelings of the game (except Golveillius, seriously? An F??) hehe.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » February 15th, 2018, 10:05 am

You've had me curious to try some "F" games. Also, it's nice when I'm at a classic game store, and I can quickly see a grade when I check this site on my phone. Typically you've been right about if a game sucks or not.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » February 15th, 2018, 11:43 am

There's been too many to remember much specific examples, either good or bad, but here's a few:

Steered right:
- Rocket League and Night Trap (PS4) - These are two recent examples where I bought them based on your reviews, and very glad I did.
- Shmups in general - This was among my least favorite genres growing up. I've grown to appreciate it more now, probably in part due to your reviews for them.
- Qix Neo (PS1) - As a fan of the original arcade game, I was glad you brought this to my attention.
- Mutant Rampage (CD-i) - Favorite CD-i game that I've played so far. Bought based on your review.
- Twisted the Game Show (3DO) - Bought this many years ago based on your positive review. Finally played it in 2017 and thought it was a fun party-style game. Then you re-reviewed it with a F score. I think you were having a bad night when you re-reviewed it...
- Beach Spikers (GC) - Best volleyball game I've played. Bought based on your review.

Steered wrong:
- Poy Poy (PS1) - You gave this game an A in the review, and a couple years later in your Ooga Booga (DC) review, you referred back to Poy Poy and called it "one of the greatest multiplayer games ever". Pricey game, but I decided to buy it in 2017, and played it with some friends. Not a good game IMO. Either it hasn't aged well, or your A score was based more on a great night of drinking with friends... This was an early review, posted in 1999, so it'd be interesting to see your current take if you ever re-review it.
- Vandal Hearts (PS1) - Decent game, but you gave this an A+. I think that score has more to do with you unknowingly loving tactical RPGs, rather than that specific game. Try more of them if you ever get time. Final Fantasy Tactics is the best IMO.
- Earth Defense Force 2017 (X360) - This game got positive reviews everywhere, including here. I gave it a fair shot, but could never get into it.
-Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 (Wii) - I felt burned by Super Mario Sunshine and was ready to give up on 3D Mario. The rave reviews around the internet for these games got me rethinking that, and then your reviews pushed me over the fence. I played and beat both of these games, but always felt like I was forcing myself to finish them, rather than actually wanting to. Better than SMS, but still couldn't get into them. That said, I know I'm an outlier on those games, and most people probably agree with the scores.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » February 15th, 2018, 11:45 am

Herschie wrote:You've had me curious to try some "F" games. Also, it's nice when I'm at a classic game store, and I can quickly see a grade when I check this site on my phone. Typically you've been right about if a game sucks or not.

Yeah, I second this. If I see an unfamiliar game that looks interesting in a retro gaming store, I'll often pull up this site for a quick take on the game. Generally I end up agreeing with you too. I rely heavily on reviews to narrow down what games I buy-- not just from here, but I also check GameRankings often to get a game's aggregate review score, especially for post-2000 games (aggregate sites are less reliable for older games than that). Sometimes for older or more obscure games, this is the only place to go for good reviews. The end result is that some of my collections-like 3DO, Jaguar, Colecovision, Lynx, etc.- end up being heavily influenced by your recommendations, since you were the only person really reviewing those systems when I collected for them. So hopefully you're steering us right...

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » February 15th, 2018, 1:13 pm

Steered wrong:
- Earth Defense Force 2017 (X360) - This game got positive reviews everywhere, including here. I gave it a fair shot, but could never get into it.

I agree here. I decided to give it a go, also thanks to the VGC! Unfortunately, I do not really enjoy it. It's not horrible, but I don't think it's very interesting.

Some other mentions:

Steered right: The original Red Steel on Wii, not many people seemed to like it, but the VGC did and so did I. I also agree that the sequel is less interesting.

Steered wrong: Silent Hill: Shattered Memories: almost didn't buy this game, 'cause the VGC rated it D-. But it turned out to be one of the best Wii games I played.

Steered wrong: I'm a big fan of Sega (had Sega consoles since the Master System), but I had great doubts about Sega 3D Classic Collection (on Nintendo 3DS). But a positive review of the VGC got me convinced, so I got it. But I find it really disappointing. The emulation is great, but the selection of games isn't interesting at all and I was done with it quickly.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » February 15th, 2018, 1:42 pm

CaptainCruch wrote:
Steered wrong:

I agree here. I decided to give it a go, also thanks to the VGC! Unfortunately, I do not really enjoy it. It's not horrible, but I don't think it's very interesting.

Funny, but that's the only one that comes to mind for me. I bought it and enjoyed it but it grew way too repetitive. If you only played it for a single night, sure, it's great. But playing it for an extended period of time quickly shows its deficiencies.

Instead of an A game, I'd personally drop it down to a B game. Plus, if three of us are saying the same thing there's probably something to that. But, it's your site, your opinion, etc. Most of the time you don't steer me wrong. Kudos to keeping the site and reviews coming after nearly 20 years. That's crazy awesome!

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » February 15th, 2018, 7:51 pm

Great topic! I have definitely been influenced by the VGC to by this or that game over the years.

Steered Right:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for the Switch. It's a good game I may have overlooked. Like most Nintendo titles, I think the VGC over rates them a bit but it is a solid B+ title. Fun two player mode.

Steered Wrong:

Shantea Half Genie Hero-Don't get me wrong, it is a good game. But an A+?? No way. Solid B+ game.

Just Plain Wrong:

Skyrim only gets a B+ while the awfully vanilla Zelda BOTW gets an A+. Do not trust his RPG reviews.

Dead On:
Atari 2600 Frogger-great game that I play all the time on my Atair Flashback!

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » February 16th, 2018, 1:13 am

Steered Right:
Resident Evil Revelations. Would have passed this one up, but gave it a shot based on VGC's review. I ended up really liking this one.

Steered Wrong:
Bloodborne should be better than a D, but I appreciate that reviewing is subjective - different strokes for different folks. Anyway avoided playing this until more recently when I picked it up on black Friday for 10bucks. Bloodborne is a solid A for me, one of the best games I have ever played.

Anyway, appreciate the effort that goes into making reviews - hard given that gaming tastes among people are highly variable. Some folks, like me, would say Fallout 2 is the best in Fallout the series, others would say Fallout New Vegas. Some, like me, consider Elder Scrolls III Morrowind to be the masterpiece in the series, some pick Skyrim. Cannot please everyone, please continue doing what you are doing VGC :D

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » February 16th, 2018, 2:10 am

I think with EDF 2017 you were right on the money. I bought it on the strength of you review and have bought every EDF game released since. Plus I have the last one on PC. Not repetitive at all a classic.

Doom got it on the strength of your review. I did not like it at first but it was a grower. Though the MP was very weak. Xbox1

Tomb raider. xbone. I bought it on the strength of your review. You were right easily the best TR.

One of the ways you fall down is you do not play the MP and since that is half a game in this new gen you do not consistently give the right review score for modern titles unless they are mainly 1 player. Though I do respect that decision and has allowed me to see pap like Destiny in its right light.

Completely on the money for Steep. I originally thought it was a game about making a good cup of tea and then found out it was the most tedious game released for the one.

I like how you have reviewed the Ps4 by the back door and said that most of its games are average. Whilst other people have drank in that it is the most powerful game system blah you have focussed on some terrible sports games. Your pals seem to know just what makes a sports game authentic and I like that. It also allows me to talk to one of my sports mad pals about games.

Also right on the money about the xbone. It does not work offline and is a real pain because of that. I still like the console as it has better exclusives than the other consoles.

Also your reviews of the switch games lead me to thing oh yeah, that might be worth playing at some point. I have not thought that about a nintendo game system in years.

Though as someone else has said you are clueless about RPGs. Risen 2 which you gave a D and a Bplus. You incorrectly decided it was a platform game where as it is a RPG. I know you only played it because it has pirates in it. I bought it was I got a really nice pirate flag with it. I can say oooo rrrr a lot and think of parrots and the like.

Return to “Video Games General”