Early to Mid 1995

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
pacman000

Re: Early to Mid 1995

Postby pacman000 » February 23rd, 2018, 9:44 am

Even bad graphics are art; they're still "the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination."

Source: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/art

They're even in a visual form. ;)

I suppose we could go with a more critical definition of art; art must express a viewpoint; art most uplift the viewer, etc. But I'd doubt any game graphics of the time could meet such criteria. And we'd get into the whole art/craft debate, which is beyond the scope of this forum/topic.

I do think the Naughty Dog Crash Bandicoot games had great graphics; nearly on par with the PS2 in places.

jon

Postby jon » February 27th, 2018, 12:48 am

The Model 2 was very popular and had great graphics. Another thing that made the time period interesting was the thought that Sega's new system would have all of the Model 2's kickass games. On another topic, Some PS1 games are better than others in the "art" department. Trust me, its still nothing you'd draw up in art class. For every Crash Bandicoot there's a Die Hard Trilogy. No further comment needed.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » February 27th, 2018, 9:07 am

jon wrote:there were some popular RPG's (of course the sales figures are minimal compared to platformers, sports games, and action games)

With nearly 10 million copies sold, Final Fantasy VII was the second best selling PS1 game after Gran Turismo (and really, it's probably #1, since Gran Turismo got some of its "sales" as a pack-in game). It outsold every N64 game (including Goldeneye and Zelda), except Super Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64. It outsold every SNES and Genesis game, not counting pack-in titles. Final Fantasy VIII also was near the top of PS1 sales charts, with 7 million sold.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » February 27th, 2018, 11:28 am

Die Hard Trilogy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmGDz0F8e94

I dunno; to me it looks like a slightly more advanced version of what Atari was trying to do with Black Ice/White Noise. (Visually; they're different game-play styles. And Black Ice/White Noise was never finished, so it's not really a fair comparison for Atari.)

Google Books results for Video Games, from 1994 to 1996: https://www.google.com/search?q=video+g ... 96&tbm=bks

jon

Postby jon » February 27th, 2018, 11:34 am

RPG's lol. Leave it to certain members (just admit it, you guys are the majority) of this forum to turn a nostalgic pre PS1 thread into a one about RPG's on a system with GARBAGE graphics. By the way, the game you're talking about crossed over. My friend Rob liked FF7 and he was into sports and action games like me. I was perfectly fine with this site not having a FF7 review.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » February 27th, 2018, 1:59 pm

jon wrote:RPG's lol. Leave it to certain members (just admit it, you guys are the majority) of this forum to turn a nostalgic pre PS1 thread into a one about RPG's on a system with GARBAGE graphics.

Right jon... There was only two posts about RPGs in this entire thread, and both were by you. The original post, where you referenced FF7. And your more recent post stating: "I'll sum up my response in three words: PS1 RPG fanboyism."

My last post had nothing to do with RPGs themselves. It's sole purpose was to clear up your complete misstatement that the sales figures for popular PS1 RPGs (i.e.., Final Fantasy games) were "minimal compared to platformers, sports games, and action games."

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » February 27th, 2018, 2:41 pm

jon wrote:RPG's lol. Leave it to certain members (just admit it, you guys are the majority) of this forum to turn a nostalgic pre PS1 thread into a one about RPG's on a system with GARBAGE graphics. By the way, the game you're talking about crossed over. My friend Rob liked FF7 and he was into sports and action games like me. I was perfectly fine with this site not having a FF7 review.
I thought the topic was early to mid-'95, with an emphasis on magazines. The PS1 was already in magazines, and it was already released in Japan.

Now, who wants to talk about the NEC PC-FX: http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com/pg90-pcfx.htm

It really looks cool. I wonder, if NEC had created a 3D expansion card, could it've lasted longer?

Sut

Postby Sut » February 27th, 2018, 3:36 pm

PC-FX is an interesting beast like many other consoles it went down the wrong path and focused on FMV games, apparently the switch times between scenes is almost instantaneous.
Like the Saturn and Jaguar this machine had some serious 2D prowess, unfortunately the library seems full of FMV and dating sims.

Game Sack did a cool video on it:
https://youtu.be/t7qGy1jxsM0

Another console I would like to own from this period is the Amiga CD32. It’s library has a unique ‘euro’ feel to it and is probably the swansong of unique European games.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » February 27th, 2018, 3:53 pm

pacman000 wrote:I thought the topic was early to mid-'95, with an emphasis on magazines. The PS1 was already in magazines, and it was already released in Japan.

This thread is about jon's specific, exact experiences and preferences over the course of six months two decades ago, and if you deviate from them at all by virtue of not literally being him, you're a stupid PS1 RPG fanboy troll. Why anybody has bothered to respond is beyond me.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » February 27th, 2018, 4:33 pm

Stalvern wrote:This thread is about jon's specific, exact experiences and preferences over the course of six months two decades ago, and if you deviate from them at all by virtue of not literally being him, you're a stupid PS1 RPG fanboy troll. Why anybody has bothered to respond is beyond me.
Actually, I was worried that I might be trolling. I don't think I am; I'm not responding just to get a rise out of jon, I am legitimately interested in the topic. And this is a current topic; I'm not bring up something from the past to see who's new and who still wants to fight about it.

I'll admit to being a PlayStation fan, but I'm by no means an all-in Sony fanboy. I like the N64, Jag, and Saturn too. Shoot, I even like the 32x. The PS1 had some flaws; even some good games had clipping problems & jittery textures, but other systems of the era also had flaws. (Lower frame rate for the Jag and Saturn; low-resolution textures on the N64.) It's a pick-your-poison era, but any system from it can still be fun. :)

Sut wrote:PC-FX is an interesting beast like many other consoles it went down the wrong path and focused on FMV games, apparently the switch times between scenes is almost instantaneous.
Like the Saturn and Jaguar this machine had some serious 2D prowess, unfortunately the library seems full of FMV and dating sims.

Game Sack did a cool video on it:
https://youtu.be/t7qGy1jxsM0

Another console I would like to own from this period is the Amiga CD32. It’s library has a unique ‘euro’ feel to it and is probably the swansong of unique European games.
Thank you for that video; I'll have to watch it later. I wish the CD32 had a longer life; if only Commodore had been able to work out some sort of deal to get the system released stateside... Then again, the Jaguar sold more units than the CD32, and it still failed. Of course the Jaguar was released in the U.S. first.

Return to “Classic Gaming”