Got a Super Nintendo Classic

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Got a Super Nintendo Classic

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 21st, 2018, 11:08 am

Once it dawned on me Nintendo would not meet demand and SNES Classics would not be filling the shelves, I broke down and bought one. It was over $100 but not by much. I'm glad I picked it up. I'll post a full review but here's my initial impressions.

Pros:
- Emulation spot on - no detectable control lag!
- Console tiny but controllers just like the original ones!
- Scan line mode takes edge off pixels, and makes the games look amazing
- Awesome selection of games with emphasis on RPGs.
- 2 controllers with reasonably long cords

Cons:
- Need to press reset on controller to return to menu (unless you're using Wii classic controller)
- Manuals only available online? Lame!

I also ordered an NES Classic off ebay. The price was pretty exorbitant but since I'm enjoying the SNES version I figured it was a necessary expense.

Retro STrife

Re: Got a Super Nintendo Classic

Postby Retro STrife » March 21st, 2018, 12:22 pm

Nice. I haven't gotten to play mine much, but I definitely think it's a quality product and worth the expense. I don't think it's just for retro gamers either-- with a reasonable price tag ($80) and a good selection of kid-friendly games, I feel like these things make a nice gift for kids to introduce them to some quality 2D games. If only they were easy to find...

I don't agree about the controller length though.. I find them too short, since they don't reach to my couch. I highly recommend these 10' extensions from Amazon, which are only $4 and work perfectly for me (someone here recommended them a few months back, but I forget who):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XCT2M5V

I don't have the NES Classic, but look forward to what you think.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » March 21st, 2018, 3:41 pm

Oops. They were in stock on GameStop.com yesterday. You can set up a deal alert on slickdeals.net for it and you’ll be notified. They’ve been going in and out of stock on GameStop.com. I haven’t bought one because I own all the games except Secret of Mana, FF III and Star Fox 2 (obviously) on either Wii U or my original SNES and it just doesn’t seem like it would be an improvement over the way I play them now, especially since I have the Retron 5.

Also Nintendo did say they’d be restocking the NES classic this year.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 21st, 2018, 4:10 pm

That's what they said last year. And if they wait till the holidays, it'll be just as hard to get.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » March 21st, 2018, 5:21 pm

Critic which has better emulation the SNES Classic or the Retro-Bit Super Retro-Cade and why?

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » March 21st, 2018, 5:27 pm

Nice. It's a great little system to have. I almost went for one but the cartridge/SD slot of the Analogue Nt nudged me in its direction.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » March 21st, 2018, 6:39 pm

Nice pickup! I have seen a lot of the SNES classic out in the wild. I picked one up and love it. I hacked it so I can use the controller in order to reset the system. I also have the NES classic which is great. Thus far on the SNES my favorite game is Super Metroid....good times indeed. Between those systems and the Switch I am becoming quite the Nintendo Fanboy! Oh No! Enjoy and looking forward to your review.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » March 21st, 2018, 6:49 pm

I really fancy one of these and will be waiting for your views on it.

Though it is like one of my neighbours. I really fancy her but the time never seems right to ask her out. Though buying a SNES mini is easier.

Return to “Video Games General”