Games the VGC Didn't Review (Yet), for Systems Nearing Completion

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Games the VGC Didn't Review (Yet), for Systems Nearing Completion

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 26th, 2018, 11:42 am

Thanks for turning me on to Moto Roader. It's a fairly inexpensive title and I love top-down racers.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » September 21st, 2019, 6:16 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Thanks for turning me on to Moto Roader. It's a fairly inexpensive title and I love top-down racers.

You're welcome! I know you didn't fall in love with the game, but I was glad to see it reviewed. :)

Meanwhile I've made a small update to the first post, as I just learned that the ROM to the ultra-mega-rare Atari 2600 game Birthday Mania was released over the summer, so it's now possible to review it.

Hey, does that mean we'll someday see a set of reviews from the VGC of the legendary rare games for the VCS, i.e.:

• Air Raid,
  • Gamma-Attack,
  • Red Sea Crossing,
  • and Birthday Mania?
All via Harmony cart, of course -- and throw Eli's Ladder in too if you want, though that's an educational game. Red Sea Crossing is by far the most playable and interesting of the four.

(No need for Pepsi Invaders/Coke Wins, it's little more than a graphical hack of Space Invaders.)

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » September 21st, 2019, 8:58 pm

NES:

Bad Dudes - Mediocre action game that reminds me of Vigilante with enemies coming at you from both sides and each taking only one or two hits to defeat except for bosses. Unfortunately the framerate is poor and the hitboxes are questionable. Karnov is the stage one boss! Also features hilariously awful digitized speech and a cheesy storyline about rescuing the president from ninjas.

Bad Street Brawler - This is a real guilty pleasure of mine. It's a comical beat em up featuring a goofball who could be a dorkier relative of Duke Nukem (his name is Duke Davis). The gimmick is that you get a different set of three moves for each stage. You'll tickle midgets and gorillas to death as well as piledrive lanky basketball players into the ground. Most people hate this, but it's actually kind of fun.

RollerGames - It's a beat em up from Konami that is one of my favorites. It's very loosely based on a short lived roller derby TV show from 1989. You're on rollerskates the entire time, so every stage feels like ice physics. You choose from three different characters; a girl who is the fastest but weakest, a guy who is the slowest but strongest, and another guy who is in between. There's a lot of platforming right from the beginning. You won't die too much from enemies, but rather from falling into pits. At least it has infinite continues.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » September 22nd, 2019, 2:46 am

I’ve been patiently waiting for years for Dave to finally review Konami’s Prince of Persia on SNES! I’m honestly surprised that it has eluded him, since it is possibly the best 2D PoP, and one of my favorite games on the system! Beautiful, amazing music, fantastic level design! It’s a game that hasn’t lost its luster, nearly thirty years on!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 22nd, 2019, 11:29 am

You last three posters are making this easy for me!

goldenband: I think I've played Air Raid before, and I'm sure I can load the others on my Harmony Cart.

mbd: You had me at mediocre! Just kidding. You know I love side-scrollers and I'm already reviewing Rollerball.

Banjo: I just put Prince of Persia on my list! You make a persuasive argument.

Stay tuned...

goldenband

Postby goldenband » September 22nd, 2019, 2:18 pm

@VGC: Awesome! An Air Raid review has definitely been one of the big missing pieces on this site for a while, though until you had a Harmony cart it was more than understandable. Looking forward to that and the others. :)

@mbd36: I came to like Bad Dudes quite a bit more once I learned the game enough to beat it. It turns out to be much more playable (and easier) than I initially thought, though the technical issues you describe are real and that voice synthesis is atrocious. The boss fights are mostly quite fair, which is a nice surprise.

@BanjoPickles: SNES Prince of Persia is beautiful. Pretty much ruined me for every other version of the game. That soundtrack is gorgeous!

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » September 22nd, 2019, 3:14 pm

goldenband wrote:@VGC: Awesome! An Air Raid review has definitely been one of the big missing pieces on this site for a while, though until you had a Harmony cart it was more than understandable. Looking forward to that and the others. :)

@mbd36: I came to like Bad Dudes quite a bit more once I learned the game enough to beat it. It turns out to be much more playable (and easier) than I initially thought, though the technical issues you describe are real and that voice synthesis is atrocious. The boss fights are mostly quite fair, which is a nice surprise.

@BanjoPickles: SNES Prince of Persia is beautiful. Pretty much ruined me for every other version of the game. That soundtrack is gorgeous!

Same here! I bought PoP for the Genesis, and I was shocked by how much of a step down it was! Then I realized that it was more in line with the other ports.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » September 22nd, 2019, 4:56 pm

My favorite Prince of Persia will always be the Apple II original, primitive as it is.

DotNetWolf

Postby DotNetWolf » October 3rd, 2019, 11:22 pm

I noticed you covered quite a few Kirby titles with one of them being the Dream Collection. I would love to read a more in depth review for some of these games, especially Kirby's Dreamland 3 and Kirby 64. I do not know if you plan on revisiting any of these games anytime soon, so I am more than happy to take what we currently have. If you are looking for a really fun 3DS game, I strongly suggest Kirby: Planet Robobot. The whole game centers around Kirby discovering a robot suit that he can use to punch and eat his way through all sorts of obstacles. It is extremely satisfying when you absorb and fire enemy with the robot suit only to transform it into a mech that has built-in flamethrowers. The same goes for earning pair of saw blades if you absorb an enemy wielding some type of blade. Similarly to Kirby Super Star Saga, there are a bunch of minigames that are there for extra entertainment value including one where you and three other Kirby's sport outfits as you do battle with big enemies in an RPG-style beat 'em up.

_craker_

Postby _craker_ » October 4th, 2019, 3:37 pm

Critic, have you not heard of / played Herzog Zwei on the MD / Genesis? Turns up in 'Best Of' charts pretty regularly. I knew several people who owned it at the time.

Think Command & Conquer where you're part of your own armed forces as a transforming robot plane. An amazing title, even has a two player split screen mode. My personal fave from back in the day anyway (well that and Populous).

Return to “Video Games General”