NBA 2K6 (Xbox)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Herschie

NBA 2K6 (Xbox)

Postby Herschie » May 14th, 2018, 1:41 pm

You know this game brings back memories. At the time I played it, I had no job, smoked weed every day, lived at home, basically had no life. And you know what? I miss those days! Especially in the morning when I'm in the rat-race, trying to get onto the expressway going to work. Having a life really is overrated.

What's not overrated is NBA 2K6, not by a long shot. I remember my friend would come over every day to play this, he would be the Bulls, and I would be the Knicks. And we got on each other's nerves with all the trash talking. After a particularly good play, we'd do the Thundercats "HOOO!", which was far more amusing for the person yelling it than it was for the person hearing it. Just ask my poker buddies when I'd catch my flush on the river.

Anyway, I love how the gameplay isn't much different today than it was twelve years ago. That's because they had it right back then. And the graphics look stellar as well. The presentation is a hoot, and he who would skip through the halftime show could expect a Charlie horse from his opponent, it was that good.

Life changes, nobody can control that. Used to be able to sit back and smell the roses, now I'm trying to sneak in a game with 2 minute quarters before work. At least the 2K series has evolved, and we can enjoy 2K18 just as much as 2K6.

Can't say the same about Madden and The Show.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: NBA 2K6 (Xbox)

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 17th, 2018, 9:25 pm

Haven't played this in a while, but I would imagine this has aged pretty well - gameplay wise at least. This was made before the sports companies changed their focus to DLC and online play.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » May 20th, 2018, 11:11 pm

The NBA 2K series has always been so finely-tuned that I bet these old editions still hold up very well. I remember playing it back on the Dreamcast and realizing that basketball video games would never be the same. I never played NBA 2K6, but I probably poured over 100 hours into NBA 2K9, which was another great version of the game. The next one I owned after that was 2K11 (which had all the MJ modes), and that was another good one. I took a long break from the series after that, before finally jumping back in with NBA 2K17. I wish the online modes weren't so dependent on predatory microtransactions, but, other than that, it's still the same great series that it's always been.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » March 13th, 2021, 5:42 pm

Now that I work from home I have a little more time to play, especially with breaks and lunch I can get into these games a little more. But I'm not the biggest basketball fan like I was in the 90s, and can't see myself getting $70 worth of enjoyment out if NBA 2K21 on the PS5. So this really is not a bad alternative at all.

Return to “Now Playing”