The 360

The readers post their own reviews.
mathematician

The 360

Postby mathematician » November 24th, 2006, 8:56 pm

Microsoft's latest system reviewed by the Mathematician.

The wireless 360 controller is the worst I have ever experienced, I cant think of anything positive to say about it. The batteries are difficult to remove, your hands start to become uncomfortable after 15 minutes, it is poorly assembled. What's more, is if a friend accidentally presses a button on another controller while your playing it pauses the game and asks if you want to load another profile, how stupid is that?

Graphics? this is what I paid $400 for. But I found some games have the same graphics quality as a PS2, no joke. $400 gets you 1 console, 1 wireless controller (junk), Live subscription, and 1 hard drive that attaches on top of the console, also an HDI cable, no games and only 1 controller. Did I mention it only comes with 1 controller? Of course an additional controller is a mere $50. Also it doesn't come with any games.

The console itself is about as noisy as a trash compactor, and to fix this Microsoft has included a set of headphones to wear. Also the load times are incredible long, I actually fell asleep waiting for PGR3 to load, But because the system is so incredibly noisy I couldn't stay asleep for very long.

After returning from the local video store with various 360 titles to get an overall feel for my new $400 purchase, I noticed that on every rental it asked to update before I could play, and said that if I didn't update I couldn't play the game. Some games like FIFA 07 and Table Tennis had respectable graphics. And other titles made me want to throw it out the window. One thing every game had in common was the text was so small It was nearly impossible to make it out from the sofa. I ended up having to rearrange my living room just to play the 360.

Test Drive is what made my final decision. Simply the poorest game I have ever encountered. From the Title and the picture on the front of the case It was obvious this was a driving/racing game, clearly, however this is not the case. I found myself living the life of a call girl that moves to Hawaii. First I rented a car, then I had to go buy a car with a limited budget, then for some reason after I purchased a car on such a tight budget I had to buy a house. I could sit on the couch and watch TV or go out and drive my Audi TT. Whenever I was out driving I had to put up with an annoying SATNAV voice telling me where to go and what to do if I run off the road. The game became very annoying in a matter of minutes. One reason I was interested in the game was the cover showed motorbikes. But to drive a motorbike I had to visit every local dealer and test drive there cars. After about 25 minutes my hands were starting to become uncomfortable again and I found the only thing that was slightly entertaining was to outrun the police. But once your within 50' of a police car the chase is over and your sent to jail to serve a 30 second sentence. I only served 10 seconds of my 30 second sentence before I turned the system off.

Ok now for the good things about the 360. The console can be stored vertically to save horizontal space. The color is nice, white, and also the integrated wireless system was a nice feature. The box it came in was nice looking, white also, and it was easy to open.

Out of all the games I have played on the 360, none have been worthwhile. Overall I am very disappointed. I still have my receipt, can this be returned once opened? Id rather buy $400 worth of styrofoam cups to spit in.

snakeboy1

The 360

Postby snakeboy1 » November 24th, 2006, 9:44 pm

For the first few paragraphs, you got me a little down about the 360.  But then after reading about the good things, I'm sold!  I think I'll get one for that beautiful box!

By the way, Mathematician, didn't you at one time say you were getting a PS3?  Still planning on doing that?

m0zart1

The 360

Postby m0zart1 » November 24th, 2006, 9:53 pm

[QUOTE=mathematician]

The wireless 360 controller is the worst I have ever experienced, I cant think of anything positive to say about it. The batteries are difficult to remove, your hands start to become uncomfortable after 15 minutes, it is poorly assembled. What's more, is if a friend accidentally presses a button on another controller while your playing it pauses the game and asks if you want to load another profile, how stupid is that?

Graphics? this is what I paid $400 for. But I found some games have the same graphics quality as a PS2, no joke. $400 gets you 1 console, 1 wireless controller (junk), Live subscription, and 1 hard drive that attaches on top of the console, also an HDI cable, no games and only 1 controller. Did I mention it only comes with 1 controller? Of course an additional controller is a mere $50. Also it doesn't come with any games.

[/QUOTE]

Wait... does the hard drive really attach to the top of the console?  I have a 360 premium and I don't remember ever attaching anything to it, other than a fan on the back of it to keep it cooler.  If there is a hard drive attached to it, it came that way out of the box.

Also, it does come with one XBOX Live Arcade game, "Hexic", right?

I agree with the complaints about changing batteries in the controller -- it's quite the test.  I also think it wears batteries down too quickly.  Still, I think how the controller works with the system is excellent.  It is very responsive.

a1

The 360

Postby a1 » November 25th, 2006, 12:06 am

I found the 360 controller to be rather comfortable, not as good as the Wii controller, but I'll rave about that elsewhere. Overall, I think you're judging it a little too quickly; it sounds as though you were playing bad games. All systems have those. Try looking at reviews to find better games, and pick up Gears of War.

Crevalle

The 360

Postby Crevalle » November 25th, 2006, 2:14 am

Wow, after perusing your thoughts on the 360's wireless controllers, I had to stop reading your review. The wireless controllers are brilliant and work flawlessly, contrary to your "review." They are the envy of Sony. In fact, just a few hours ago my cousin and I were talking about how Microsoft really did itself proud with the 360, and especially the wireless controllers.

360's Wireless Controllers:
Comfortable design
Flawless operation
Long-lasting lithium ion battery

What in the world more could a gamer ask for?

feilong801

The 360

Postby feilong801 » November 25th, 2006, 10:48 am

Holy Early Adopter Batman! What have we here?

Seriously though, what other games besides the ones mentioned in your review did you play? Other than Test Drive, I'm not sure those are fair representatives of the system.

-Rob

www.therobzone.com

sega saturn x

The 360

Postby sega saturn x » November 25th, 2006, 12:27 pm

That whole thing reads like a joke review.  And since you're wrong on just about every count I suspect it is one.  Aside from the controller which is just you're opinion.

Shawn

The 360

Postby Shawn » November 25th, 2006, 5:38 pm

The 360? I thought you were reviewing the Wii! Anyway, I love the 360. I would give it an "A"!

voor

The 360

Postby voor » November 25th, 2006, 10:47 pm

To each his own I guess, but I don't even own a 360, but I can change the batteries in like 5 seconds...it's really not difficult.  I took yall for some pretty smart fellows, but i dunno about that.

"what happens if a friend accidently hits a button"...well, that's their own fault...put the thing down if you can't handle it.  Who are you playing with?

blluemonkey

The 360

Postby blluemonkey » November 26th, 2006, 9:24 am

I have never seen a post more full of fanboyish overexaggerations and inaccuracies.  You are completly wrong about so much.  But then you have always hated the 360 so big surprise.

Return to “Reader Reviews”