11/21/2006: PSP: Family Guy, Lumines, Twisted Metal Head-On

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » November 26th, 2006, 2:03 pm

No one is disputing the natural changes in earth climate.  That is not the discussion.

The US is the only western country to dispute this (how surprising given the US policies on emissions).  I think of it in the same view that the US is the only western country not to teach genetic evolution as a fact and many schools consider it no more valid than creationism.  I mean come on.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » November 26th, 2006, 2:37 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]

No one is disputing the natural changes in earth climate.  That is not the discussion.

The US is the only western country to dispute this (how surprising given the US policies on emissions).  I think of it in the same view that the US is the only western country not to teach genetic evolution as a fact and many schools consider it no more valid than creationism.  I mean come on.

[/QUOTE]

What in the world are you talking about?  Genetic evolution is taught as science in every public school classroom I've ever seen, and certainly the ones I attended in the deep Bible Belt.  It is taught with the same level of respect as fact as any other science in any other science class in any other public school.  The fact that there is debate on what should be taught doesn't equate to what is being taught.  For that matter, I welcome the debate on the subject -- who wants a society where everything is just accepted verbatim from the mouths of even scientists?  (By the way, that point was actually the whole purpose of the Wii episode of South Park).

In any case, your analogy to global warming does not corrolate -- because there is more than mere religious doubt placed behind the causes of upward trend.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » November 26th, 2006, 6:30 pm

Like Einstein, I believe in "a greater power' (i.e. "God") and still beileve in Genetic evolution. The fossil record has now proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that BIRDS evolved from Dinosaurs (and are in fact a SPECIES of Dinosaur!) .... other missing links have also been found. Religion , however, is intentionally vauge and based on FAITH not fact. I have FAITH.
(Well, I did but she dumped me for another guy...)

BACK to videogames.....!
Anyone played those "religious" videogames on the NES?

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » November 26th, 2006, 6:44 pm

[QUOTE=Alienblue]Anyone played those "religious" videogames on the NES?[/QUOTE]

You mean that one where Moses parted the Red Sea?

Bah!  Scientifically impossible!!!

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » November 27th, 2006, 12:33 am

"..where moses parted the red sea? Bah! Scientificly impossible!"

Nooo.... he didn't like it so he turned around and dePARTED.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » November 28th, 2006, 6:16 am

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]

I recently had a conversation about this with a respected Baltimore weatherman.  He explained that the earth goes through temperature cycles since it was formed.  These cycles would occur even if we were not here.  Correlation does not equal causation.

[/QUOTE]
That's not entirely true.  The first day of my first Masters level stats course the prof came in and said "correlation equals causation. That's all you need to know to pass this class". The actual warning is "some correlational methods do not provide results that equal causation".  It is entirely possible these days to use correlational methods robust enough to very, very, srongly imply causation.  That warning made a lot more sense back in the 50s than it does today.  The number of factors "controlled for" in studies on global warming today make it highly unlikely that in this case the correlation isn't due to causation.

Besides, that argument is too simple.  Tobacco companies use it all the time, as if it means correlation does not ever equal causation.

Return to “Review Feedback”