12/14/2006: Playstation 2: Guitar Hero 2, Okami

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
idunnowhy

Postby idunnowhy » December 15th, 2006, 6:52 pm

Hard Mode on guitar hero 2 isn't very difficult...not if you've mastered hammer ons and pull offs and pinky stretching.

I got to freebird and lost on the solo and haven't played it since...actually, my pinky got seriously injured from playing too much (i'm not kidding).  Anyone else have this problem?  I'm afraid to pick up the controller again.

some of the songs are a real blast though...psychobilly freakout!!!

VG-Robot

Postby VG-Robot » December 15th, 2006, 7:34 pm

Okami is definately worth more than that. Hell, I coulden't rate it higher.
Your opinion, though.

The game takes some time to get going, but how can anyone complain a game is too LONG. Okami has multiple story arc's, and if you only want to play for 12 hours, you get a pretty awesome story that starts and finishes in about that amount of time.

This game was pretty amazing, and there wasn't much I DIDN'T like about it. I certainly got more enjoyment out of it than the new Zelda. Better than Wind Waker though? I think they are kind of tied, although I found Okami less repetitive in some ways.

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » December 15th, 2006, 10:14 pm

When it comes to Guitar Hero, I must be half-retarded.  I haven't played Guitar Hero 2, but in the first one I stuggled through several songs on medium and then got stuck after only a few songs on hard.  It was kind of a bummer that I was only able to finish a little over half the game.  I'm still not sure if I'm going to get Guitar Hero 2 yet.

The biggest problem I encountered was that I had a really difficult time using my middle and pinky fingers simultaneously on the fret buttons.  I never injured my pinky, but it was very uncomfortable and felt as though my hand was going to cramp up.  The worst was when I would have to hit the third and fifth fret buttons at the same time.  That's nearly impossible for me to do.  On hard mode the game just got too frustrating for me.

Anyone else as bad as me? 

Funkmaster V

Postby Funkmaster V » December 15th, 2006, 11:46 pm

I'm actually a professional musician and Guitar Hero blows my mind. I just can't do it (although I haven't played it that much). I can actually play some of those songs (most of the songs included are not my bag so I never tried to learn them) in real life and I can't handle that guitar control too well. I still think its fun and I laugh a lot watch my other band mates play the game and suck... then we can go into the next room and kick ass playing the songs in real life. It's crazy how different it is.

Anyway, Okami and Odama were the biggest busts of the year for me. I love original games, both were stylish... neither held my interest for long. I would have actually scored these games lower though I definitely wanted to love each. Oh well...

Funkmaster V

a1

Postby a1 » December 16th, 2006, 3:28 am

[QUOTE=VG-Robot]

This game was pretty amazing, and there wasn't much I DIDN'T like about it. I certainly got more enjoyment out of it than the new Zelda. Better than Wind Waker though? I think they are kind of tied, although I found Okami less repetitive in some ways.

[/QUOTE]

You liked Wind Waker more than you like Twilight Princess. What's wrong with you? I loved Wind Waker, but Twilight Princess has the whole no sailing thing going for it. Plus, you gain the ability to warp earlier, so there is no tedious traversing landscapes you've already gone across, and even before that Epona is a hell of a lot faster than the boat.

Bomb arrows are a great addition to the Zelda weapons, as are the rest (I'm not going to give any others away, bomb arrows are really early in the game though). There's also no megaton hammer bringing down your inventory with its crappiness this time around. I liked the new weapons in Wind Waker, but there were only a couple. Twilight Princess has a few new weapons, and it modifies the old ones to make them feel new again.

The one thing I'd say that Wind Waker had over the new Zelda was the graphics. People were turned off by the cel-shading but it was really beautiful. Twilight Princess is pretty, but only a couple parts look as great as Wind Waker.

Michael D

Postby Michael D » December 16th, 2006, 2:26 pm

[QUOTE=VG-Robot]

Better than Wind Waker though?

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely.  I just loved the imagination of Okami, whereas Wind Waker, as great a game as it is, is still like many of the Zelda games.  The real place that I think Okami beats Wind Waker though is in the audio category, with the use of full orchestral music and gibberish for the character voices; they really helped bring the game alive in a way that I thought Wind Waker couldn't.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » December 22nd, 2006, 7:14 pm

[QUOTE=snakeboy]

When it comes to Guitar Hero, I must be half-retarded.  I haven't played Guitar Hero 2, but in the first one I stuggled through several songs on medium and then got stuck after only a few songs on hard.  It was kind of a bummer that I was only able to finish a little over half the game.  I'm still not sure if I'm going to get Guitar Hero 2 yet.

The biggest problem I encountered was that I had a really difficult time using my middle and pinky fingers simultaneously on the fret buttons.  I never injured my pinky, but it was very uncomfortable and felt as though my hand was going to cramp up.  The worst was when I would have to hit the third and fifth fret buttons at the same time.  That's nearly impossible for me to do.  On hard mode the game just got too frustrating for me.

Anyone else as bad as me? 

[/QUOTE]

Yep, I sucked ass just as much.  It took me darn near a week to get past Bark at the Moon on Medium.  As for hard, that's not gonna happen either.  I've pretty much given up.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » December 22nd, 2006, 9:43 pm

I probably would have given Okami a B.  I thought the art style was absolutely beautiful, and I loved the sound work done.  Still, it comes down to gameplay, and I didn't find it that much fun to actually play, despite the fact that I was mesmerized by the presentation.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 23rd, 2006, 3:48 pm

[QUOTE=m0zart]

I probably would have given Okami a B.  I thought the art style was absolutely beautiful, and I loved the sound work done.  Still, it comes down to gameplay, and I didn't find it that much fun to actually play, despite the fact that I was mesmerized by the presentation.

[/QUOTE]

You are thinking of Okami the way most critics do, but I try to avoid that mindset.  I think the amount of fun you have should be the overriding consideration in any review.  As a matter of fact, I think critics fall into a trap when they are so taken by the presentation that they can't objectively judge the underlying game.

Michael D

Postby Michael D » January 2nd, 2007, 4:05 am

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]
Critics fall into a trap when they are so taken by the presentation that they can't objectively judge the underlying game.
[/QUOTE]

Hey, I objectively judged the game underneath the pretty graphics and I say it's the best game of the year.  It not only looks and sounds great, but most importantly, it plays wonderfully. And something tells me that many of the glowing reviews of Okami love it because it's a great game, a fact that you'll probably (and hopefully) come to realize somewhere down the road.    

Return to “Review Feedback”