12/30/2006: Nintendo 64: Fighter Destiny 2, Road Rash 64, Star Fox 64

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
milky

Postby milky » December 31st, 2006, 8:58 pm

Uh, could you fill me in a bit? What exactly caused this change of heart for Starfox 64? Is it because initially, you haven't played the game thoroughly enough?

voor

Postby voor » January 1st, 2007, 7:36 am

RR64 has a special place in video games to me.  It's the only game I've seen my father play (they say he would occassionally play space invaders and stuff like that, but I don't remember). 

Anyway, he played for 5 minutes, with one hand, kept crashing, and laughed himself to tears.  Then he put it down and never played again.  I've never understood that.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 1st, 2007, 9:20 am

[QUOTE=milky]Uh, could you fill me in a bit? What exactly caused this change of heart for Starfox 64? Is it because initially, you haven't played the game thoroughly enough?
[/QUOTE]

I can't remember exactly what I was thinking when I wrote the original review, but I think my perspective changed.  I didn't purchase my first N64 until mid 1999, and back then I hadn't played enough N64 games to determine what a really 'good' N64 game was.  Now that I've built up a significant collection, it's clear that Star Fox 64 is the cream of the crop.

andrew

Postby andrew » January 1st, 2007, 12:04 pm

[QUOTE=a][QUOTE=gleebergloben]

As with the SNES Star Fox, I think the 64 Star Fox is way overrated.  The camera angles are frustrating, the game can be completed in about 4 hours, and the other 3 pilots are there for semi-comic relief, because they don't help you in the fight at all.  I was extremely disappointed when I first bought Star Fox, and after playing it again, my feelings haven't changed.  A cute game, yes, but a good game, no.

[/QUOTE]

There are 3 different paths to take which extends the replay value a whole lot. The game can be completed in 4 hours on easy, but I'd like to see you go through medium, hard and easy in 4 hours.

[/QUOTE]

Not to mention obtaining medals in every stage to unlock expert difficulty mode  followed by obtaining all medals in that difficulty. There is tons of replay value.

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » January 1st, 2007, 1:16 pm

Starfox64 was the last game I played and liked on the N64 before I gave up on it. I remember it being tremendously fun (and as Dave points out, the rumble pack thing was incredible back then, standard now).

I felt it was way too short, but my perspective on that has changed. As a workin' man, most games are so long that I build up these backlogs of games I haven't finished, and I sometimes have to give up on a game before I want to.

A great example is Fire Emblem for the 'cube. Awesome game. But man, 40 hours is ENOUGH. E N O U G H.

E      N      O      U      G      H    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And, of course, when I sold my 'cube on eBay before getting a Wii, I forgot to remove my memory card, and the !@#$@%@#$@# did not respond to my requests to get it back (even offering some dough), meaning my Fire Emblem saves were gone. sux0rs!

Sorry to go emo on you all. It's just a frustration for me.

(-;

-Rob

hi there

Postby hi there » January 1st, 2007, 3:05 pm

[QUOTE=feilong80]

And, of course, when I sold my 'cube on eBay before getting a Wii, I forgot to remove my memory card, and the !@#$@%@#$@# did not respond to my requests to get it back (even offering some dough), meaning my Fire Emblem saves were gone. sux0rs!

[/QUOTE]

Just another reason why people need to bring back cartridges.

milky

Postby milky » January 1st, 2007, 7:48 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic][QUOTE=milky]Uh, could you fill me in a bit? What exactly caused this change of heart for Starfox 64? Is it because initially, you haven't played the game thoroughly enough?
[/QUOTE]

I can't remember exactly what I was thinking when I wrote the original review, but I think my perspective changed.  I didn't purchase my first N64 until mid 1999, and back then I hadn't played enough N64 games to determine what a really 'good' N64 game was.  Now that I've built up a significant collection, it's clear that Star Fox 64 is the cream of the crop.
[/QUOTE]
Wait a second. You mean you grade games in comparison to the other games on the same platform? Wouldn't that be futile or have you merely lowered your expectations since you're now intent on believing that the N64 is incapable of churning out good games?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 1st, 2007, 10:20 pm

The top of every review page states:

NOTE: These games are rated in comparison to other [insert system name] games. The main criteria is based on how fun the game is to play, although control, graphics, and sound also play a role.

I've always reviewed games like this.

gleebergloben1

Postby gleebergloben1 » January 2nd, 2007, 11:01 am

Star Fox does have 3 difficulty settings and several medal challanges, and my reply is...so what?  I don't want to collect every single token on a platformer to extend the play-life.  As I've stated before, Star Fox is a cute but extremely average game that can be completed in a very short time.  The other three characters on your squad do absolutely nothing for the gameplay, and in the end, it's all about gameplay, which Star Fox has in short supply.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » January 2nd, 2007, 3:41 pm

[QUOTE=gleebergloben]

Star Fox does have 3 difficulty settings and several medal challanges, and my reply is...so what?  I don't want to collect every single token on a platformer to extend the play-life.  As I've stated before, Star Fox is a cute but extremely average game that can be completed in a very short time.  The other three characters on your squad do absolutely nothing for the gameplay, and in the end, it's all about gameplay, which Star Fox has in short supply.

[/QUOTE]

After reading that statement I'm sorry you never got a chance to play the multiplayer with 4 friends battling it out in an awesome, chaotic rock (tank), paper (little guy), scissor (Ar-Wing) battle. 

Star Fox 64 ranks third for multiplayer gold on the N64 behind Golden Eye and Mario Kart 64.

Return to “Review Feedback”