1/2/2007: PSP: LocoRoco, Mortal Kombat Unchained, Tekken: Dark Resurrection

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Michael D

Postby Michael D » January 3rd, 2007, 1:08 am

[QUOTE=m0zart]

I am willing to bet that "Silent Hill 0rigins" will eventually go to home console, for instance.

[/QUOTE]

That's one of the big problems right there. It's pretty obvious that many third party companies seem to have little faith in the system, espeically when you consider how many games on the system are either direct ports of console games (like MK: Unchained, Midnight Club 3, and Rush, to name a few) or that many of the original titles are being released on more popular home consoles (GTA Liberty City Stories, Tokobot, and Lumines, for example).  

The companies must think that saleswise, the odds are against them with PSP exclusive titles and that the risk may not be worth it.  If things keep going this way, the third parties may just give up on the console.  And we all know what that did to the Saturn and Dreamcast...

Oh, and another thing.  Need I remind you that UMD, a format Sony was once touting as the next big thing, is now, for all intents and purposes, dead? The idea of using it for selling movies and music obviously failed, so that's another problem.  

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » January 3rd, 2007, 8:35 am

One of my friends wants a new system, but figures he can't really afford a 360, PS3, or even a Wii at the moment.  Given the types of games he likes (which aside from Stubbs and Halo, don't seem to have a lot in common with my tastes), I said "why not get a PSP; you can afford that, and it's basically a console."  He said "Nah, but I'm thinking I might buy a DS Lite."  I asked him what DS games appealed to him and he couldn't name any.  That's one indication to me that the PSP is in trouble.  A guy who should love it wants a DS instead without even knowing what games are on it.  The PSP's name is still on the decline marketing-wise. 

The sad part is that, like the N-Gage, it's best software might prove to have been too late in arriving. 

Quill

Postby Quill » January 3rd, 2007, 10:17 am

I think the Loco Roco review is pretty spot on. My girlfriend really enjoyed the game but after the first couple of levels, I lost interest. I have to say that the art direction and presentation is pretty top notch for a video game. Just because of that I'd bump it up to a C+ or B- personally.

Hey if a game can get a better score just because of its graphics the same should be true of its art direction. (Not saying that the critic does this but more in general.) In fact I'd say that art direction is way more important than graphics.

Oh yeah... I think there may be an inaccuracy in the review. I don't believe that the characters are singing in Japanese. I was told that it was a total gibberish language. I'm not sure if anyone can confirm this but if you really listen to the songs it doesn't quite sound like Japanese. I could be wrong about this of course.

gleebergloben1

Postby gleebergloben1 » January 3rd, 2007, 11:24 am

While I don't think the PSP will "die" within the next year or so, I think Sony is living off of its name and past, and had better be careful of not going the way of the dodo bird.  The PSP is not nearly as popular as Sony had predicted, and the PS3 is becoming a study on how not to launch a game system.  Sony is an organizational mess right now, and the PSP and PS3 are somewhat indicative of that.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » January 3rd, 2007, 5:43 pm

I thought Loco Roco was a decent game.  It's no Katamari Damacy, but it's fun in its own way.

I am pretty much with you on wishing the game had a tilt sensor.  That would have made it a much better experience.

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » January 3rd, 2007, 7:21 pm

I think the PSP is priced a bit too high for a portable system. I just don't think people are willing to pay (well, some are, but not in the huge numbers that the DS attracts) $200 for a handheld system, especially with the Wii priced at $250.

-Rob

Return to “Review Feedback”