1/14/2007: Nintendo 64: International Track & Field 2000, Rush 2: Extreme Racing USA, San Francisco Rush: Extreme Racing

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

1/14/2007: Nintendo 64: International Track & Field 2000, Rush 2: Extreme Racing USA, San Francisco Rush: Extreme Racing

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 14th, 2007, 1:07 pm

This is the next step in my attempt to spruce up the Nintendo 64 section.  More to come.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » January 14th, 2007, 1:38 pm

I'm not surprised at the average-poor scores for N64 racing games. I love PS2 racers, and simply cannot go back to the 32/64 bit era! Sparse blocky scenery, fog, and lack of variety just kill this genre. As I said before NO genre has evolved more than car racing games- look at the steady progression from Night driver (just white blocks swirling around to indicate a "Road"- the coin-op just had the CAR decaled on the screen!)... then Turbo, pole position, Pitsop, Daytona, Ridge Racer, Crazy Taxi, all the way up to TOCA3, the best PS2 racer...and even better racers exist for mega-meg PCS!

welcometoyourdoom

Postby welcometoyourdoom » January 14th, 2007, 2:44 pm

Finally, the long-awaited Rush reviews. I think you graded Rush 1 far too harshly, though. Yes, the cars turn like pigs, but that's what the powerslide is for. You also totally neglected to mention the cool exploration aspects of the game. I think it should have gotten a B- or maybe a C. That aside, you should really be reviewing Rush 2049. Its easily the best Rush on N64, and even holds up well against the awesome Dreamcast version.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » January 14th, 2007, 9:03 pm

Never played any of these games, so I'll move on:

I remember the Top Gear series being pretty good. Granted, I haven't played them in a long long time (racing games really don't age that well either), but why not give them a go?

And of course, there's the excellent Beetle Adventure Racing, sneaking in right under Mario Kart 64 for best racer on the system.

Gunstarhero

Postby Gunstarhero » January 14th, 2007, 9:18 pm

Wow Rush 1 an F?

Word of advice, if you're going to complain, and complain about Fog in this game, supply a screenshot that proves your case. The screenshot provided doesn't even have a single speck of fog in it. I think you are way overexaggerating. Besides, I thought the fog levels were adjustable in the options menu for this version? I think you should check that.

Great game anyway despite the heinous review, I'd give it a solid B, based on replay value, controls and physics that are faithful to the arcade original (have you played that?), unique opportunities for big air to seasoned veterans, and exclusivity to the N64 console.

Benjamin

Postby Benjamin » January 14th, 2007, 11:21 pm

Well the have to agree with an above comment on Rush the exploring aspect of the game is crazy.  There are locations that lead to huge places with ramps and such and getting there is a challenge. And alot of fun the gravity cheat is great for one of the city tracks....sure the "racing" isnt that good but me and my friends ten years ago used to have so much fun getting big insane air and trying not top explode the car and if you did you'd pass the controller...I'm sure if you'd have been in our old group during those days you'd give it a B.....I'd try to find maps and explore a couple of secret places before you put it in the closet!

Chris Marsh

Postby Chris Marsh » January 15th, 2007, 9:52 am

The original San Fransisco Rush did have a PS1 release, but was panned upon release.

welcometoyourdoom

Postby welcometoyourdoom » January 15th, 2007, 10:00 am

[QUOTE=Gunstarhero]The screenshot provided doesn't even have a single speck of fog in it.[/QUOTE]

Well, it wouldn't, since its pointing at the ground. There is fog in the game, sure, but its not that bad and never hindered my enjoyment of the game.

[QUOTE=Gunstarhero]I'd give it a solid B, based on replay value, controls and physics that are faithful to the arcade original (have you played that?), unique opportunities for big air to seasoned veterans, and exclusivity to the N64 console.[/QUOTE]

Well said, especially the "have you played that?" part. The only reason I'd maybe give it a B- is the horrible music (never a high point for the series, but at its worst here). I just play with sound effects only. About that exclusivity part, there was a Playstation port of the first Rush, but its pretty horrible. Now THAT game deserves an F!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 15th, 2007, 11:02 am

I will go back and give it another look.  Maybe I wasn't power-sliding correctly.  Stay tuned.

Return to “Review Feedback”