1/17/2007: Xbox: Castlevania: Curse of Darkness, Family Guy, NHL 2K7

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 17th, 2007, 10:06 pm

Yeah, I know, only one of these reviews is really new (Castlevania). The other two are games I already reviewed for other systems.  Instead of reposting the same basic reviews, I just mention the differences.  I'll have "fresher" reviews next time.

Superjay

Postby Superjay » January 17th, 2007, 10:51 pm

I'm sorry I totally disagree with your review grade for Castlevania. I got so addicted o that game. The 2 towers that you fight through should have given it a B at least. The best part of the game was making the different animals. Then on top of that make evolution after evolution of beast to make the perfect beast was awsome. I actually beat Dracula in the end with my beast. I never attacked once. Now that's awsome. No matter where they make the next Castlevania I will buy it no matter what system. That is if they don't mess around with the beast making.

hi there

Postby hi there » January 18th, 2007, 1:08 am

So Castlevania 64 sucks just as much?

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » January 18th, 2007, 1:20 am

I really liked Castlevania CoD too. Unlike the previous PS2 Castlvania, the enviroments are varied and fresh, you aren't cooped-up in the same boring castle for the whole game. I think anyone whom likes the DMC series will find something to like in CoD. More then anything, it's a good 3D action game with some nice exploration on the side.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » January 18th, 2007, 9:54 am

Put me in the list of people who really enjoyed Castlevania CoD.  I really think you are off base with this one Critic.  Its an above average action adventure that is basically a grand mix of DMC and Castlevania...I thought it was great.

Plus it took my favorite part of Symphony of the Night (the familiars) and brought them back.  In SotN I loved being able to make my little devil a powerhouse of magical destruction.  Curse of Darkness has brought this back and I couldn't be happier. 

I think the two 3D Castlevania games were a nice step in the right direction.  I can't wait to see what they do with the series in 3D next.  The best part is that they still make the 2D games on the DS, so you can now get the best of both worlds.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » January 18th, 2007, 10:05 am

I honestly disagree with the idea that Castlevania can't work well in 3D.  I think the original Castlevania platformer-style works very well in 3D.  I was a fan of the N64 Castlevania games for that very reason.  I think they are remarkable games.  A lot of fans rejected them partially because they didn't see them as comparable to 2D games like Symphony of the Night.  But I find that kind of comparison to be banal.  Castlevania didn't take on the Metroid-style gameplay until later in its life.  Castlevania is thus a whole lot more than its lately Metroidvania mask would imply.

I tend to agree that Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness are crap, but that's partially because they try to make their games look somewhat like Metroidvania games, with a huge portion of the mechanics for such games taken out.  As long as a 3D game attempts to be a platforming-style Castlevania game, I think it has a possible future in 3D.

And here's hoping those 3D Castlevania games for the N64 get released on the Virtual Console.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » January 18th, 2007, 1:46 pm

Well, Mozart, I agree to disagree with your agree...agreed?

I'm with the Critic and this is what I said in the Console thread. SOME GAMES ARE BETTER IN 3-D, SOME ARE BETTER IN 2-D!

I would not want to play a 2-D TOCA3 Racing or PUNCH-OUT!

By the same TOKEN, (ha ha?) I would not want to play Galaga,
Super Mario Bros. OR CASTLEVANIA in 3-D! These games belong to the 2-D world. Theres room in every consoles library for BOTH 2-D and 3-D. I just wish companies would acknowladge this.

LONG LIVE FLATLAND!

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » January 18th, 2007, 6:25 pm

[QUOTE=Alienblue]Well, Mozart, I agree to disagree with your agree...agreed?

I'm with the Critic and this is what I said in the Console thread. SOME GAMES ARE BETTER IN 3-D, SOME ARE BETTER IN 2-D![/QUOTE]

And some games have potential in both -- Castlevania is one of those.  Since I have Castlevania 64 as proof, I will never be convinced that the Castlevania series is one of those which can never work in 3D.  And after all, the Critic himself points out how well that game works (in spite of its critics) in his review of that game.

So yes, we'll have to agree to disagree!

a1

Postby a1 » January 18th, 2007, 8:59 pm

[QUOTE=Alienblue]

By the same TOKEN, (ha ha?) I would not want to play Galaga,
Super Mario Bros. OR CASTLEVANIA in 3-D! These games belong to the 2-D world. Theres room in every consoles library for BOTH 2-D and 3-D. I just wish companies would acknowladge this.

LONG LIVE FLATLAND![/QUOTE]

Didn't you say you had fun with Super Mario 64? Galaga definitely doesn't belong in 3d, but Mario is great in 3d, and I think Castlevania could be, too. 

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » January 19th, 2007, 5:45 am

If they come out with Kid Icarus 3-D , the scream you hear will be me, dying inside....

a: I liked SuperMario DS (same as SM64 , with a few changes) FOR A WHILE. I enentually got tired of playing yoshi and the weird camera angles though, so I gave it away with my first DS when I sold it. Like taste in music-I grew up in the 80's and love 80's stuff, while most people on here don't seem to like it... it may just be that I played 2-D so long- from pong to pitfall to super mario to sonic and even Raiden, In the hunt and much PSone stuff. 3-D is more "the younger generations" game. I didn't grow up with 3-D and except for PS2 I own no other mordern console (I should mention I only have 6 PS2 games I actually play too!)... let Great granpa have his steam toys and let granpa(me) have my 2-D!
And have fun with your 3-D until 6-D comes out!

Return to “Review Feedback”