The printed page

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
sega saturn x

The printed page

Postby sega saturn x » January 18th, 2007, 7:06 pm

Since this site is sadly lacking in anything dealing with literature I thought I would start an on going book/comics thread.  I myself am an avid reader, I just finished up with xenocide.  Great book even if it leavs off with far more questions than answers.  I'm tired of Card though so I'm going to start up on Robot visions by Asimov.

On the comic side of things, I've had dare devil reborn sitting around for like 6 months it's pathetic I haven't finsihed reading it.  It isn't even mine, I'll try to do that this saturday.  I just finsihed volume one of Berserk, it's a lot better than the anime was that's for sure.  Great art, and the pacing is lightning fast.  I also have the first volume of death note I'll try to get to shortly.  Along with a a great looking copy of V for vendetta sadly untouched on my dining room table.

As you can tell I love literature in general, be it novel or comic.  And comics from america or japan, it doesn't matter to me one bit.  So do you all read, and if so what?  Perhaps we can get a book or comic club going as well.

Atarifever1

The printed page

Postby Atarifever1 » January 18th, 2007, 8:40 pm

Right now I'm reading the Heir to the Empire Star Wars series.  I just wrapped up "The Mismeasure of Man", which is the greatest scientific work of all time. I recently gave up on comics beause they weren't fitting into my collecting at all anymore.  I basically stick to C string hero books.  My three favorite series of all time are Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, and Blue Devil.  I like to see what the more mediocre heroes are doing while Batman and Superman save the entire Universe.

One series I did finish before giving up completely (the two things are very relatd) was the terrible Infinite Crisis series (including the lead up books).  What a horrible, pointless series that was.

Alienblue

The printed page

Postby Alienblue » January 19th, 2007, 5:26 am

Atarifever-I used to collect comics and have the first 20 or so issues of Blue Devil. I thought it was funny early on but took a turn for the worse when they changed artists/writers. He went from being a nice reluctant hero to a -well, kinda a jerk!

Anyway, I read mostly non-fiction and manga. I reccomend THE AUTHORATATIVE GUIDE TO N.A. REPTILES AND AMPHIBIANS, if anyone actually cares, and I read manga-Ranma 2 and Inuyasha were two of the best Manga series I have read-I never saw the animes sadly. Ranma 2 was hillarious! - I am currently reading two more funny mangas DR. SLUMP (by the creator of Dragonball!), wicked funny all around, and Penguin Gin, Funny but also more serious and sometimes sad. But if you like penguins!....

Steerforth

The printed page

Postby Steerforth » January 19th, 2007, 7:46 am

Last book I read was a month or so ago, "David Copperfield", by Dickens. It takes the brain a chapter or two to really begin to process that great classic language, but once it does you have some great reading ahead of you. Great characters, Uriah Heep, Micawber, Litimer, ahem, and Steerforth. I also highly recommend the Sherlock Holmes series. I love how Sherlock is such a loner, and will even decide himself if a crime should be reported, or not, if he thinks it is justified or already resolved. The story's with his brother Mycroft are priceless.

sega saturn x

The printed page

Postby sega saturn x » January 19th, 2007, 3:18 pm

Fever is the The Mismeasure of Man actually a novel or is it non fiction like I thought it was?  And way are you enjoy heir to the empire?  I liked it quite a bit, while it's not the greatest space opera ever it's a lto better than any of the other deadful star wars books I've read.  Thrawn is easily one fo my favorite star wars characters.

Anyway Robot visions has been sort of a let down.  For starters I wasn't aware it contained i, Robot in it.  That makes up half the book pretty much, and I love i, Robot of course but still I was expecting more stories I had never seen.  And three of his best were saved for the companion book, which is annoying since theys hould have been included instead of the already well know i, Robot stories.

Plus it's become clear he blew his creative robo was before he hit 30.  He even admits this in the intro (which was very good).  So far not to many of the post i, Robot stories have been very good.  Hell robot visions which was written for the compilation is down right awful.  This makes me concerned of the new foundation novels I have yet to read.  The first three are timeless classics, but soem fo these stories worry me.  The added art in robot visions IS nice whatever that's worth.

I finished the first volume of berserk as well and loved it.  I plan on picking up the next few volumes the enxt time I'm out.  What stood out to me the most was the fantastic panel layout and clearly defiend art.  Great stuff,  Now on to death note which I'm weary of.  The art is doen by a shojo artist and well...the less said about it the better.   

Atarifever1

The printed page

Postby Atarifever1 » January 19th, 2007, 5:25 pm

[QUOTE=sega saturn x]

Fever is the The Mismeasure of Man actually a novel or is it non fiction like I thought it was?  And way are you enjoy heir to the empire?  I liked it quite a bit, while it's not the greatest space opera ever it's a lto better than any of the other deadful star wars books I've read.  Thrawn is easily one fo my favorite star wars characters.

[/QUOTE]
ismeasure of Man is non-fiction.  However, it is very clearly explained, and fun non-fiction.  You get so mad at the entire enterprise of science as you read it though.  Everything up until the part entitled "The Real Error of Cyril Burt" is pretty light reading and will make you think twice about the believed objectivty of science.  Once you hit the other stuff, it might feel like a chore for most people, as it's pretty statistical, but that's only about a third of the book.  Still, the first part is worth it to see how racism founded most of the theories I.Q. is based on (which is one reason why I.Q. means nothing, and hopefully no one here takes them seriously.  I mean, how does anyone ever believe that because people who sound intelligent score well on I.Q. tests it is a measure of innate intelligence instead of verbal ability anyway?  Let's not get into how better educated people score better on measures of supposed innate ability)

Thrawn > The Emperor
However, Either Fett > Vadar> Grevious > Thrawn.

Trust me, you don't want to know how long I could make that chain.

I like the new Legacy of the Force series too actually.   But then, with Boba as a main character, how could I not?

sega saturn x

The printed page

Postby sega saturn x » January 19th, 2007, 9:12 pm

Is that book still in print fever?  I wouldn't mind picking it up, god only knows when I'll get to reading it though.

[QUOTE]Thrawn > The Emperor
However, Either Fett > Vadar> Grevious > Thrawn.

Trust me, you don't want to know how long I could make that chain.

I like the new Legacy of the Force series too actually.   But then, with Boba as a main character, how could I not?

[/QUOTE]   

How does THAT work?  I don't really like the new EU books.  I picked up most of the clone wars books but all the new jedi order stuff doesn't hit it off with me.  See my problem is anything that doesn't have the empire or rebellion I'm just not crazy about.  The thrawn books did a fantastic job merging new and old. 

But the yuuzhan vong just doesn't feel like star wars you to me you know?  I have yet to read Zhans other star wars novels but I would think they are pretty much the same and that's cool.  But strangely enough I've always been able to get into the kotor games without trying.  Even without the empire and rebellion. 

Also for me

Vader>Grievous>thrawn>fetts>dooku>sidious>malak>maul>sion

Conn

The printed page

Postby Conn » January 19th, 2007, 9:42 pm

Hope to start reading Stephen King's "The Dead Zone" soon..

bluemonkey1

The printed page

Postby bluemonkey1 » January 20th, 2007, 3:57 am

I read books all the time.  The problem is I have something of an addictive personality when it comes to them, it's not unknown for me to start reading at midday and keep going till 4am.  When I was a kid I read a lot of fantasy and sci-fi.  And I don't mean stupid fantasy I mean stuff like Robin Hobb (they are more dramas really), Ian Irvine, that kind of thing.

Anyway these days a have a more varied taste.  I am currently reading Brendan Dubois "Resurrection Day" which is a quality mystery/thriller and "Future Noir - the making of Blade Runner."  I'm also reading "Fences and Windows" a collection of essays by Naomi Klein but that's non fiction.  I'm moving onto "Dragon Eye" soon which looks like a pretty tasty detective/thriller novel.  Some of my favourite authors include Bernard Cornwell, Michael Marshall (these thrillers are extreme I am telling you), Will Self (very weird) and Dan Brown (I was into him before he got famous ).

Have a few Japanese comics but I'm not a huge fan due to the limited storytelling potential.  Though I might start to checkout Vertigo comics because I hear they are good.

sega saturn x

The printed page

Postby sega saturn x » January 20th, 2007, 10:59 am

Man I'm loving berserk, the art is just fantastic.  The ink work and panel layout are wonderful.  The scan isn't the greatest in the world but it turned out all right.  Sorry for the blur in the middle but I didn't want to bend it too much.

Return to “Other Media”