Far Cry (Xbox)

The readers post their own reviews.
Anayo1

Far Cry (Xbox)

Postby Anayo1 » January 23rd, 2007, 6:22 pm

Has anyone here actually played the PC version? Hm?

bluemonkey1

Far Cry (Xbox)

Postby bluemonkey1 » January 23rd, 2007, 6:41 pm

mozart I think half that post belonged in a different thread.

I haven't but it's meant to be very good.  Though the single player wasn't too hot on PC according to my mates.

sega saturn x

Far Cry (Xbox)

Postby sega saturn x » January 23rd, 2007, 7:21 pm

[QUOTE](very random ones, given that I am not an FPS fan) [/QUOTE]

Well at least you admit you don't know what you're talking about.

The basic fact is he wanted the game to be something it's not.  And something it was never meant to be, that is in no way the games fault.  It's pretty much akin to slamming gears of war because there isn't enough platforming in it.

m0zart1

Far Cry (Xbox)

Postby m0zart1 » January 23rd, 2007, 8:14 pm

[QUOTE=sega saturn x]

[QUOTE](very random ones, given that I am not an FPS fan) [/QUOTE]

Well at least you admit you don't know what you're talking about.

The basic fact is he wanted the game to be something it's not.  And something it was never meant to be, that is in no way the games fault.  It's pretty much akin to slamming gears of war because there isn't enough platforming in it.

[/QUOTE]

I wasn't trying to act like I knew what I was talking about in terms of FPS.  I do know that comparisons are at best incomplete, EVEN among FPS.  Again, I question whether the comparison is invalid or opportunistic until I've heard how it compares.  Comparisons are never quite the same as "falsehoods".

R. Jones

Far Cry (Xbox)

Postby R. Jones » January 25th, 2007, 1:05 am

[QUOTE=Anayo]Has anyone here actually played the PC version? Hm?
[/QUOTE] I haven't.  My pc can't handle it.  I've thought about upgrading it, as more and more interesting games come out that I can't get.  But I don't have much money to spend on video games and there's still too much stuff I haven't tried yet on Atari, Genesis, Xbox, and Gamecube for me justify spending the money.

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]

Quake doesn't have hidden walls.[ . . .][/quote]It has visible walls. 

[quote][ . . .] Anyway all FPS are linear to a large extent.[/quote]Are you saying that all games played from a first person perspective and allow you to shoot things are linear.  Or are you defining FPS as a genre where you play in the first person, shoot things, and the game is linear?

[quote]The basic fact is he wanted the game to be something it's not.  And something it was never meant to be, that is in no way the games fault.  It's pretty much akin to slamming gears of war because there isn't enough platforming in it.[/quote]This is from the official website [bolding by me]:

"Only with skill, instincts, and ingenuity can you conquer the enemy and make it out alive.
In the open-ended tropical environment, discover many ways to kill. Set up and unleash brutal jungle traps. Commit stealth kills amidst the foliage. Snipe from extreme distances"

"Key Features:
Open season in a 100% open environment: Do whatever it takes to exterminate the mercenaries"

"Experience a new style of FPS gameplay featuring massive outdoors environments and unprecedented long-range gameplay."

"Astonishingly Tension-filled Non-linear Experience
Unique game design encourages a combination of pure reflex shooting as well as intelligent stealth. Draw out your enemies or perform a full-on assault. It's up to you to use the vast environment to your own advantage."

feilong801

Far Cry (Xbox)

Postby feilong801 » January 25th, 2007, 1:26 am

You might as well give it a rest.  I like Shawn and SSX, but boy, if you don't like a game that they like, they are gonna come down on you pretty hard. The debates are interesting, at least for a bit.

In any event, yeah, I can see where you fell for the marketing hype on FarCry (which I consider a high quality game, by the way, though I haven't played it enough to give a grade). I think your views are perfectly valid, though perhaps it might be true that the game is more open ended for an fps game.

Marketing can sometimes involve taking small little improvements and totally blowing them up to be huge, which is what probably happened here.

You should go out and buy yourself Morrowind. The award edition, which has zillions of hours of gameplay, can be had super cheap. Now that's a game that's open ended!

-Rob

wur1

Far Cry (Xbox)

Postby wur1 » January 25th, 2007, 8:19 pm

I played most of the way through the original Far Cry on my underpowed laptop.   Is Instincts worth getting if you've played the original on low detail?

Edward M

Far Cry (Xbox)

Postby Edward M » January 25th, 2007, 9:20 pm

Far Cry on Xbox is a different game than the one released on the PC.  It has none of the same levels.  It is absolutely worth buying as it is awesome.  If you have a 360 though, get that version because it looks better.

R. Jones

Far Cry (Xbox)

Postby R. Jones » February 10th, 2007, 9:51 pm

[QUOTE=feilong80]

You might as well give it a rest.  I like Shawn and SSX, but boy, if you don't like a game that they like, they are gonna come down on you pretty hard. The debates are interesting, at least for a bit.

In any event, yeah, I can see where you fell for the marketing hype on FarCry (which I consider a high quality game, by the way, though I haven't played it enough to give a grade). I think your views are perfectly valid, though perhaps it might be true that the game is more open ended for an fps game.[/quote]Yeah, agree to disagree.  When you finish Far Cry, you should post a review.  Then I can come to your thread and explain why you're wrong. 

[quote]Marketing can sometimes involve taking small little improvements and totally blowing them up to be huge, which is what probably happened here.

You should go out and buy yourself Morrowind. The award edition, which has zillions of hours of gameplay, can be had super cheap. Now that's a game that's open ended!

-Rob

[/QUOTE] I've rented Morrowind about three times actually.  A few of the guys I weld with play it, and they're always trying to get me into it.  Every time I rent it, I'll play it for a day or two and then not pick it up again.  When I see the welding-crew again, they'll ask me about it.  I'll describe what I did before I quit, and they'll all take turns with, "Man, you didn't even [insert exciting-souding-thing here] that's one of the best parts!"  So I'll pick it up again.

I think it's the subject matter of Morrowind that turns me off.  Or maybe I'm just far too picky.

Return to “Reader Reviews”