2/19/2007: GameCube: F-Zero GX, Rampage: Total Destruction, Star Fox Assault

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
andrew

Postby andrew » February 20th, 2007, 4:49 pm

Your review of rampage total destruction is pretty much right on. It's a perfect game to rid yourself of anger by destroying up cities. I noticed the only reason saving it from an F was arcade rampage. I bought this game and play it once in a while but would give it a C- because of original rampage and my personal favorite rampage world tour. I pretty much based my purchase of this game on having rampage world tour on the disk and at 20 bucks, its a pretty good deal for me although I find the game runs more true to the arcade speed on the n64 port plus you get auto save after each city.

Michael D

Postby Michael D » February 20th, 2007, 9:00 pm

[QUOTE=andrew]I would give it a C- because of original rampage and my personal favorite rampage world tour. I pretty much based my purchase of this game on having rampage world tour on the disk...
[/QUOTE]

But you could also get those games in Midway Arcade Treasures 1 (for Rampage) and 2 (for World Tour), and what do they have to do with the quality (or lack thereof) of Total Destruction?

Oh, and by the way, Dave, I think you were a little too harsh on Star Fox: Assault, but you're certainly entitled to your opinion. But perhaps you can agree on one point; the orchestral music in that game is fantastic.  

Conn

Postby Conn » February 20th, 2007, 10:14 pm

[QUOTE=Funkmaster V]I think the score for F-Zero is too high. All of these games pretty much blow and I was amazed that these games had any type of decent reviews.

FUNK
[/QUOTE]

What do you mean by "all of these games"? The series? The genre?

I too agree that F-Zero was rated too low. Definitely a B, B+ game.

a1

Postby a1 » February 20th, 2007, 10:23 pm

[QUOTE=Conn][QUOTE=Funkmaster V]I think the score for F-Zero is too high. All of these games pretty much blow and I was amazed that these games had any type of decent reviews.

FUNK
[/QUOTE]

I too agree that F-Zero was rated too low. Definitely a B, B+ game.[/QUOTE]

I think he actually meant all of the games that the critic reviewed in this set.

Funkmaster V

Postby Funkmaster V » February 21st, 2007, 5:31 am

[QUOTE=a]

[QUOTE=Conn][QUOTE=Funkmaster V]I think the score for F-Zero is too high. All of these games pretty much blow and I was amazed that these games had any type of decent reviews.

FUNK
[/QUOTE]

I too agree that F-Zero was rated too low. Definitely a B, B+ game.[/QUOTE]

I think he actually meant all of the games that the critic reviewed in this set.

[/QUOTE]

That's right, all of these Cube games suck. F-Zero was really over rated during a time when there was no good Cube games being released. I think the big "N" lined some reviewers jeans with some dollas dollas

Cousin Vinnie

andrew

Postby andrew » February 21st, 2007, 10:56 am

[QUOTE=Michael D]

[QUOTE=andrew]I would give it a C- because of original rampage and my personal favorite rampage world tour. I pretty much based my purchase of this game on having rampage world tour on the disk...
[/QUOTE]

But you could also get those games in Midway Arcade Treasures 1 (for Rampage) and 2 (for World Tour), and what do they have to do with the quality (or lack thereof) of Total Destruction?

[/QUOTE]

Well I'll use online multiplayer for comparison. Battlefield games have amazing multiplayer but if someone doesn't go online, the game is merely okay. It gets 9/10+ because of multiplayer alone. So I consider the extas as the multiplayer I described in grading it. Just for rampage and world tour its cheaper than buying two midway arcade disks anyway. Many review companies also gave that horrible contra legacy of war more points based on the fact it had classic arcade games on the disk. If a new castlevania game that was mediocre at best(which they currently are) but had symphony of the night on it, would you not give it a higher grade?

a1

Postby a1 » February 21st, 2007, 5:44 pm

[QUOTE=Funkmaster V]That's right, all of these Cube games suck. F-Zero was really over rated during a time when there was no good Cube games being released. I think the big "N" lined some reviewers jeans with some dollas dollas

Cousin Vinnie

[/QUOTE]

Actually I didn't like F-Zero when I started playing it, but it definitely grows over you on time. If you don't like it that's fine, but I don't see you pointing out any actual flaws with the game.

Michael D

Postby Michael D » February 21st, 2007, 9:41 pm

[QUOTE=andrew]

Well I'll use online multiplayer for comparison. Battlefield games have amazing multiplayer but if someone doesn't go online, the game is merely okay. It gets 9/10+ because of multiplayer alone. So I consider the extas as the multiplayer I described in grading it. Just for rampage and world tour its cheaper than buying two midway arcade disks anyway. Many review companies also gave that horrible contra legacy of war more points based on the fact it had classic arcade games on the disk. If a new castlevania game that was mediocre at best(which they currently are) but had symphony of the night on it, would you not give it a higher grade?

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely not. Extra games like those you mentioned are games that the developers of the new entries most likely had little to no involvement in.  The only reason they're there is because they're being released by the same company as the old games.

How can you look at a bad game that has a classic title as an unlockable extra and say that its mere presence is enough to give a pass to the bad game that's the focus of the game? 

Let's put it this way; if the original Sonic the Hedgehog was unlockable in the wretched next-gen game (PS3/360), would you say it's worth suffering through the bad game just for the classic, especially when you have better options to achieve said classic (like Sonic Mega Collection for PS2/Xbox). 

That's exactly the situation you have with the Rampage games; you can actually buy both Midway Arcade Treasures 1 & 2 on the Gamecube (I've seen them both for $10 at Best Buy) for the same price as Total Destruction (and in the case of the Wii version of Total Destruction, buying the two collections will save you $20-$30).

In the case of the Battlefield games, you're generally not buying them for a single player experience (any gamer with a modicum of knowledge should know that), and in the case of the multiplayer, it (just like the single player) was created by hardwork by the developers of the game at hand, unlike in the case of Total Destruction, which shoehorns better games that the developers didn't even make into the package.

andrew

Postby andrew » February 22nd, 2007, 10:26 am

[QUOTE=Michael D][QUOTE=andrew]

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely not. Extra games like those you mentioned are games that the developers of the new entries most likely had little to no involvement in.  The only reason they're there is because they're being released by the same company as the old games.

How can you look at a bad game that has a classic title as an unlockable extra and say that its mere presence is enough to give a pass to the bad game that's the focus of the game? 

Let's put it this way; if the original Sonic the Hedgehog was unlockable in the wretched next-gen game (PS3/360), would you say it's worth suffering through the bad game just for the classic, especially when you have better options to achieve said classic (like Sonic Mega Collection for PS2/Xbox). 

That's exactly the situation you have with the Rampage games; you can actually buy both Midway Arcade Treasures 1 & 2 on the Gamecube (I've seen them both for $10 at Best Buy) for the same price as Total Destruction (and in the case of the Wii version of Total Destruction, buying the two collections will save you $20-$30).

In the case of the Battlefield games, you're generally not buying them for a single player experience (any gamer with a modicum of knowledge should know that), and in the case of the multiplayer, it (just like the single player) was created by hardwork by the developers of the game at hand, unlike in the case of Total Destruction, which shoehorns better games that the developers didn't even make into the package.

[/QUOTE]

I've started to play Total Destruction again and it has some charm if played in small doses so I stand by my C- even if the extras weren't there.

john-boy

Postby john-boy » February 22nd, 2007, 12:23 pm

I loved f-zero and would have given it an A, but the insane speed makes some of the tracks too difficult and the story-line races become so difficult too. I'd give it about 80% or B

Return to “Review Feedback”