3/13/2007: Sega 32X: Afterburner, Knuckles Chaotix, Shadow Squadron

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 14th, 2007, 12:04 am

I think you'll enjoy these 32X re-reviews.

gleebergloben1

Postby gleebergloben1 » March 14th, 2007, 1:40 am

Good reviews critic.  Shadow Squadron seems like a really fun game, though I never played it.  After reading about the three games, I went back to your 32X review of the system, and your following line about its energy consumption is a hoot:  "the 32X's three bulky adapters were capable of producing brownouts in small towns."

McTom

Postby McTom » March 14th, 2007, 5:03 am

I like them, but are they much different from the last time? Can't remember. Of course, you're right about them. Try re-reviewing Star Wars Arcade to see how much that sucks.. the hardest game ever. Probably.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » March 14th, 2007, 9:32 am

I really don't remember Afterburner being all that bad.  I actually remember be really good at that game.  The thing with Afterburner is that the enemies always come in the same patterns everytime you play.  So essentially its like memorizing a level in a platforming game...you learn where all the enemies and anticipate everything.  Granted I used to play the heck out of that game, but I was also very good at it.  Its a great arcade title and its probably in the C+, B- range for me.

I remember playing Knuckles Chaotix and not being too impressed.  I still liked it, but after a while I could care less about it.  At that point the Sonic formula had already worn thin.  That was my main complaint about the Sonic franchise...it never really tried to innovate or stay ahead of the competiton.  Sega always felt like running around real fast would make people love the game forever (technically they are right, but that doesn't mean the quality hasn't suffered).

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » March 14th, 2007, 11:28 am

[QUOTE=JustLikeHeaven]That was my main complaint about the Sonic franchise...it never really tried to innovate or stay ahead of the competiton. Sega always felt like running around real fast would make people love the game forever (technically they are right, but that doesn't mean the quality hasn't suffered).[/QUOTE]

Now now, how many of their attempts at doing something different with the character has NOT resultet in a horrible game? 2? Can't blame them from continuing betting on a winning horse.

Deathpigor

Postby Deathpigor » March 14th, 2007, 11:49 am

Chaotix has one of my favorite soundtracks of any video game, with music that was funky, upbeat, and just plain fun to listen to.  Pity the game itself isn't so hot.  But, then, a great soundtrack does not necessarily mean a great game (see also Castlevania: Dracula X for the Super Nintendo). 

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » March 14th, 2007, 1:42 pm

[QUOTE=Adamant][QUOTE=JustLikeHeaven]That was my main complaint about the Sonic franchise...it never really tried to innovate or stay ahead of the competiton. Sega always felt like running around real fast would make people love the game forever (technically they are right, but that doesn't mean the quality hasn't suffered).[/QUOTE]

Now now, how many of their attempts at doing something different with the character has NOT resultet in a horrible game? 2? Can't blame them from continuing betting on a winning horse.[/QUOTE]

I understand what you are saying and I certainly don't blame them for sticking to a winning formula on the Genesis, but Sega's failure to constantly improve the franchise led to its demise.  Sonic still sells alot of games, but the quality hasn't been there for years.  Sonic and the Secret Rings is baby steps towards the right direction, but the series still has a ways to go.

Crimefighter

Postby Crimefighter » March 17th, 2007, 1:58 pm

>Speaking of characters, there are plenty to choose from, including Charmy Bee, Espio the Chameleon, Mighty the Armadillo, and Vector the Crocodile. Most of these zany creatures are currently residing in the "where are they now file."

Ummm no, Espio, Vector, Charmy made up the fourth team in Sonic Heroes...so they're not one-timers.  "Mighty" ended up in Sonic Arcade, but hasn't been seen elsewhere.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » March 18th, 2007, 5:50 am

"speaking of characters.."

What about PUNKY SKUNK!?

I think Punky Skunk should team up with Awesome Possum and Bubsy Bobcat for the BEST mascot game ever!

Oh, and don't forget a cameo with BOOGERMAN!

Sut

Re: 3/13/2007: Sega 32X: Afterburner, Knuckles Chaotix, Shadow Squadron

Postby Sut » September 3rd, 2016, 4:53 pm

Recently just played through Chaotix. Strange game to critique. The graphics are colourful with nice touches of scaling and rotation, looks like a cross between a SNES game with it's colour palette but with the speed of a Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Gameplay is strange when it's doing Sonic style things (in very small doses) it promises to be fun. But most of the time your just finding your way out of the levels which gets dull. It's kinda like a European labyrinth platform title that were the rage in the late 80's / early 90's but without the punishing difficulty. Sega must have known the game wasn't quiet right because there ain't much challenge in this game.

Also what surprised me with this is the slowdown, it's not too frequent but you collect an invincibility icon and the 32x starts to stutter. Now it's a nice looking game but I wouldn't have thought it's too punishing for the 32x processors.

So a decent game around the C range for me. It also highlights the 32x was at its best when pushing polygons.

Return to “Review Feedback”