4/1/2007: Playstation 3: Motor Storm, NBA Street Homecourt, Virtua Fighter 5

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » April 1st, 2007, 7:22 pm

I heard that MotorStorm didn't have any splitscreen multiplayer because it was meant to be a showcase title for online play.  Sony desparately wants to lure some xbox fans to the system early on in the game and I can understand why they wanted to highlight a robust online multiplayer game...that also happens to be free to play online.  Rumor has it that an update somewhere down the line will offer splitscreen matches offline.  Time will tell on that one though.

MappyMousePD

Postby MappyMousePD » April 2nd, 2007, 12:40 pm

I heard that MotorStorm didn't have any splitscreen multiplayer because it was meant to be a showcase title for online play.

The official excuse was that "splitting all that high-def detail into two is a performance nightmare." behold the power of the PS3!

Seriously, though, this review surprised me as a long time reader of this site.  I never thought a game that made you get online to compete against people would appeal to the "I don't do the online thing" Critic.

Wait until they ask us to pay for features that should have been in the game to begin with (like a time trial for God's sake). 

Quill

Postby Quill » April 2nd, 2007, 6:18 pm

[QUOTE=Senix]Concerning VF5
Please! If you dont play games competitively dont try to give an opinion about balance. It sounds like you have NO IDEA what this games are all about like Tekken 5 which you claim to be "well balanced" despite the fact that Tekken 5.1 hit arcades shortly after Tekken 5 to fix some major balance problems.
Although I enjoy most of your reviews the ones about fighting games make me cringe.

[/QUOTE]

Whoa... yeah VGC isn't doing this review for the hardcore fighting game enthusiast. More than likely only a handful of them read his website. I hear what you're saying but at the same time average gamers are going to run into the exact same balance problems Dave did.

The average gamer isn't going to play the game to it's limit nor spend enough time to figure it out. I used to be pretty hardcore about 2d fighters myself but I realize that 95% of gamers don't even know what tiers are let alone that there's a competitive scene. Hell some people don't even know about MLG and their Halo tournaments. I'd say he did a decent review of that game for the majority of the gaming community.

Dave could put a disclaimer on all his fighting game reviews that he is not in fact Justin Wong* or something but I hardly think that's necessary.  

(For those wondering Justin Wong is a big time hot shot in the fighting game competitive scene.)

Tremo01

Postby Tremo01 » April 2nd, 2007, 9:28 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic][QUOTE=Senix]Concerning VF5
Please! If you dont play games competitively dont try to give an opinion about balance.
[/QUOTE]

By this logic, I guess I can't criticize the costumes unless I'm a costume designer, and I can't criticize the graphics unless I program games for a living.  Give me a break!

I don't just make this stuff up.  I was playing a friend of mine and he was one of the big guys and I was one of the chicks.  He found a move that when landed, he could just keep doing it repeatedly until my life meter was drained.  I couldn't recover fast enough to counter, block, or sidestep it.  It was really cheap and it forced me to switch characters. 

I call that poor balance, but then again I'm not the 2007 Virtua Fighter 5 world champion so I guess I'm not qualified to voice an opinion.
[/QUOTE]

Whoa this is the first time I see the Critic actively defending his opinion =P

gleebergloben1

Postby gleebergloben1 » April 2nd, 2007, 11:06 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic][QUOTE=Senix]Concerning VF5
Please! If you dont play games competitively dont try to give an opinion about balance.
[/QUOTE]

By this logic, I guess I can't criticize the costumes unless I'm a costume designer, and I can't criticize the graphics unless I program games for a living.  Give me a break!

I don't just make this stuff up.  I was playing a friend of mine and he was one of the big guys and I was one of the chicks.  He found a move that when landed, he could just keep doing it repeatedly until my life meter was drained.  I couldn't recover fast enough to counter, block, or sidestep it.  It was really cheap and it forced me to switch characters. 

I call that poor balance, but then again I'm not the 2007 Virtua Fighter 5 world champion so I guess I'm not qualified to voice an opinion.
[/QUOTE]

Critic, I commend you for knowing when to say "I blew it" and when to say "wait a minute....." and doing it tactfully.  and it makes for a lively discussion board.

Senix

Postby Senix » April 4th, 2007, 4:18 am

[QUOTE] By this logic, I guess I can't criticize the costumes unless I'm a costume designer, and I can't criticize the graphics unless I program games for a living.  Give me a break! [/QUOTE]

The point is that you can have an opinion about design and graphics without being a professional but balance is a fact not a matter of taste. Just because you like one move or character doesnt make it/him better.

I know your reviews are more for the casual gamer than for the competitive players but as well as you dislike someone calling PS1 generation games "oldschool" I dislike someone talking about balance when they have no idea. Especially when this plays a part in rating the game.

VF is the most technical 3D beat em up and is definitly nothing for casual gamers. Those players better stick to Tekken where they can have fun even when they dont know anything about the "flow" of a fighting game. Thats why I dont get your rating. You gave VF 4 an A but VF 5 a C- ? Both should have got a C- because they are basically the same game. Only competitve VF players will notice any difference in the fighting engine.

I dont mean to bash you or something I just want your reviews to improve as I really enjoy them. Its just that your fighting game reviews are really random.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » April 4th, 2007, 4:45 am

[QUOTE=J.M. Vargas] Tough to justify to myself a $500 expense for just two games, both of which (a) aren't even 1080p (both max out at 720p)
[/QUOTE]

Forgive me, but I can't help but work to thwart one of the myths that  have been floating around video game world since games got into HD.  If you think that you are going to be in the middle of a game, and are going to throw down the controller in frustration because you can't stand the resolution of a 720p game, I have a book to read you called "The Emperor's New Clothes".  It's about an Emperor who plays all his games in 720p, and then spends all this money on TV's and cables and consoles to get a 1080p picture, and then rants and raves about how much better the picture is, but doesn't realize that from his couch there is no way in a million years that he could see the difference between a 720p and a 1080p game.  Sorry but it's true. 

Sudz1

Postby Sudz1 » April 13th, 2007, 9:28 pm

"Seriously, though, this review surprised me as a long time reader of this site.  I never thought a game that made you get online to compete against people would appeal to the "I don't do the online thing" Critic.

Wait until they ask us to pay for features that should have been in the game to begin with (like a time trial for God's sake). "

Let's not read too much into this - Dave actually held the grade down slightly because the game didn't give you the option of playing against a friend split-screen.  It's an amazing game and loads of fun to play, but I promise you that Dave will never go online to check out the two-player mode if that's what it will take.  He's STILL the "I don't do the online thing" Critic we all know and love!
Sudz

Return to “Review Feedback”