Atari 2600 Joystick Preference

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 19th, 2007, 7:24 pm

One fascinating thing I've noticed is that not only do people have strong preferences about what joystick they used when they play the Atari 2600, but many are downright militant about it!  My frield Steve is a Wico man, Scott swears by the TAC-2, and I know a few guys who refuse to use anything but a standard 2600 joystick.  During my Video Game Mania tournaments I need to keep a whole box of joysticks on hand.

Personally, I prefer the arcade-style JAMMA joystick I purchased from The Goat Store a few years back.  Due to its odd shape and blue bat handle, it's known to friends as the "clownpenis" joystick.

What joysticks do you guys prefer??

BigOldCar

Postby BigOldCar » April 19th, 2007, 8:05 pm

Admittedly, I used it on a C=64, but since they used Atari peripherals, let me go on record as saying there is no trumping the Tac-2.  I'm still trying to find a new one--this time for the Atari.

No question about it.  The Tac-2 is the best controller of its type, hands down.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » April 19th, 2007, 8:44 pm

7800 prolines, as 99% of my 2600 playing is on my 7800.  However, partially on your reccomendation once before, I have a 7800 JAMMA joystick coming, so I'll probably be using that from now on, or the 7800 joypad I also just ordered.

ZetaX1

Postby ZetaX1 » April 19th, 2007, 9:27 pm

I had one of those DiscWasher PointMaster joysticks (back in the day).  I kind of liked the big 'control stick' with the button on top, until the torque tore the dumb thing apart.  Guess I've always liked the original Atari joysticks the best, never holding the stick directly, just sort of straddling it with the thumb and pointer finger and moving them around on it.  Wow, that sounded dirty...sorry...

Mark

Kroozer

Postby Kroozer » April 19th, 2007, 10:15 pm

For old school controlers, you couldn't beat the original 2600 controllers.  They were easily repairable if they broke down and they didn't set you back $40-50  if you had to buy a new one.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » April 20th, 2007, 5:20 am

Ever since the 80's, on my VCS and Colecovision, my fave Atari type stick was the Spectravideo SLIK-STIK (sometimes called SKIL-STIK).... I still have the box I bought it in new in 1983 and it still works fine! I have a bag of sticks now including Tac-2 and Wico, but I still like the Slik stik. It has a big bat handle (with a fire button on top if you want it) and a comftorble curved base. It also has suction cup feet that are totally uselless, but I overlook that. For handheld play, this is the best!

Kroozer

Postby Kroozer » April 20th, 2007, 6:51 pm

[QUOTE=Alienblue]Ever since the 80's, on my VCS and Colecovision, my fave Atari type stick was the Spectravideo SLIK-STIK (sometimes called SKIL-STIK).... I still have the box I bought it in new in 1983 and it still works fine! I have a bag of sticks now including Tac-2 and Wico, but I still like the Slik stik. It has a big bat handle (with a fire button on top if you want it) and a comftorble curved base. It also has suction cup feet that are totally uselless, but I overlook that. For handheld play, this is the best![/QUOTE]

I remember the Spectravideo sticks.  The handles were so tip heavy, we would hold them by the base and vibrate the handle back and forth when playing Track and Field and actually max out the 100m record.

Leo Ames

Postby Leo Ames » April 20th, 2007, 8:57 pm

I use one of the new goatstore jamma 7800 joysticks on my Atari consoles (EVen on the 5200 thanks to the 7800 Redemption adapter AtariAge sells).

Robotrek

Re: Atari 2600 Joystick Preference

Postby Robotrek » May 21st, 2023, 11:09 am

Worth resurrecting.

I've been using a British joystick called the Powerplay Cruiser and it's downright excellent. Perfect joystick size, the right amount of travel, clicky buttons, and you can change the amount of resistance it has with a ring around the joystick.

I can't imagine a better joystick for the thing. I used to swear by the Tac-2 myself but I just can't use it anymore. Not after using this ugly little champion.

goldenband

Re: Atari 2600 Joystick Preference

Postby goldenband » May 21st, 2023, 9:07 pm

I used to like the Wico Boss, though when I got one again about 10-12 years back, it was way too spongy. Could have been degradation over time, or maybe I just like tighter controls now.

The TAC-2 is nice for what it is, the original CX40 is fine, but honestly, a Genesis controller is often my preferred instrument on the 2600 these days! I can't imagine using the "PainLine" controllers as one person mentioned doing -- those things are an ergonomic disaster, for my hands at least.

Return to “Classic Gaming”