How necessary is internet connection for the 360?

General and high profile video game topics.
Will

Postby Will » April 30th, 2007, 10:45 pm

Hey,
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but if I don't care about online gaming or downloading movies, is it necessary to have my XBOX 360 connected to the internet?
All I care about is single player gaming (and mulitplayer with a second controller).  However, a guy at Gamestop told me that some games out now or coming out will require downloadable content for single player games or will offer more missions, etc. via download.
What do you guys think?  Is this true, or is it bunk?
Thanks.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 30th, 2007, 11:22 pm

Bunk.  My 360 has never been connected and I play it all the time.

Will

Postby Will » April 30th, 2007, 11:42 pm

Thanks, VCG!  I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I let the guy talk me into buying the adapter, but I can take it back and maybe talk my wife into letting me use the store credit for more games.  Always a good thing.
By the way, you might like Rainbow Six: Vegas and Battlestations: Midway, both for 360.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » April 30th, 2007, 11:42 pm

No it isn't necessary to go online to enjoy the 360.  While it can enhance the experience for some folks, others avoid it like the plague. 

Downloadable content is nice to get, so are patches that fix games that were rushed out the door.  Playing against other people online is also a great way to get more bang out of a recent purchase.

Overall though, I think you can have a damn good time with any console that is offline.  Many people are going to tell you that online and (specifically) Live is the feather in Microsoft's cap.  They offer the best online features no doubt, but I refuse to pay for their service.  Enjoy the console offline like 50% of the 360 owners do.

voor

Postby voor » May 1st, 2007, 8:26 am

[QUOTE=JustLikeHeaven]No it isn't necessary to go online to enjoy the 360.  While it can enhance the experience for some folks, others avoid it like the plague. 

Downloadable content is nice to get, so are patches that fix games that were rushed out the door.  Playing against other people online is also a great way to get more bang out of a recent purchase.

Overall though, I think you can have a damn good time with any console that is offline.  Many people are going to tell you that online and (specifically) Live is the feather in Microsoft's cap.  They offer the best online features no doubt, but I refuse to pay for their service.  Enjoy the console offline like 50% of the 360 owners do.

[/QUOTE]

While I agree, I cant help but think that as soon as Halo 3 comes out, that number's gonna drop to about 25%.  Yes, I know most of yall wont care about Halo 3 online play (it might be fun for a few weeks before the cheaters pop up), but a whole lot of people do.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » May 1st, 2007, 8:59 am

[QUOTE=voor]
While I agree, I cant help but think that as soon as Halo 3 comes out, that number's gonna drop to about 25%.  Yes, I know most of yall wont care about Halo 3 online play (it might be fun for a few weeks before the cheaters pop up), but a whole lot of people do.
[/QUOTE]

I used to love playing Halo 2 online with my trial xbox live account.  That game was very addicting.  I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I will take my 360 online when that game comes out.  I think there will always be a percentage of people who don't play games online...but you are right Voor, many more people will convert to Xbox Live after that game ships.  Hopefully they decide they love the service and the keep it for a long.

I just don't like the fact that microsoft charges for its online service.  Xbox Live may trump Playstation Network, but there is a difference to me...the cost.  I can play Resistance, Mortal Kombat II, NBA Street online right out of the box, for free...plus I don't need to get a wireless adapter.  So far I am really pleased with Sony's online efforts.  For a free service its really great.  Plus I don't ever feel like Sony is shoving online stuff down my throat.

If Halo 3 comes with a free trial for xbox live a la Halo 2...I might go online again.  Chances are I'm not throwing down $100 for the wireless network adapter though.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » May 1st, 2007, 3:42 pm

get online, you'll get free demos and extra content for your existing library of games.  But, the single best thing about being online are the xbox live arcade games.  Get geometry wars - the best $5 you'll ever spend.  Likewise, you can try before you buy unlike the Virtual Console games on the Wii. 

Shawn

Postby Shawn » May 1st, 2007, 10:32 pm

If your 360 isn't online you are in the stoneage. Don't get me wrong, it isn't 100% necessary but I love the trial games and demos plus the game videos. It has saved me much $$$ b/c I have been able to try out games that I would have bought but ultimately wouldn't have enjoyed (Assault Heroes, Ninety Nine Nights, etc, etc). Plus, I love the ability to grab extras for my favorite games like Oblivion and GH2.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » May 2nd, 2007, 10:43 am

Something else to keep in mind is the Xbox Live Silver membership is free aka no money, also known as, I'm thrifty.  So, there's no excuse not to get online with your 360.

The Gold ($50) allows online competitive play with/against fools.

However, the Silver membership gives you everything that you need, for example, Geometry Wars.

Will

Postby Will » May 2nd, 2007, 10:54 am

Yeah, the Silver is definitely the way to go, but I am just so loathe to shell out $100 for a wireless adapter.  I have a wireless router (had to for Wii), but I just hate to spend another $100 after I paid $480 for the 360 in the first place.  I could use the ethernet cable included in the box, but that would require either rearranging my house to move the computer next to the tv, or buying  a wired router and another ethernet cable, and then I am back where I started. 

Return to “Video Games General”