5/4/2007: Wii: Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Wii Play, Wii Sports

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » May 5th, 2007, 3:17 pm

[QUOTE=Roperious]
Come play on [I]my[/I] Island...[/QUOTE]
Those are great commercials by the way. 

My family  went to PEI for a couple weeks every summer when I was a kid.  I remember really liking it (of course I was so young on some trips that I though Rainbow Valley was practically Disney Land).

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » May 5th, 2007, 6:07 pm

[QUOTE=Shawn]

Wii Sports...how does A, B+, B, C+, A equal an overall grade of A? I don't get it.

[/QUOTE]

I assume it's sort of like how IGNs reviews give a final grade that is "not an average", but just how they felt about the game overall, not the sum of its parts.

Cataclysm1

Postby Cataclysm1 » May 5th, 2007, 9:33 pm

Good job with the reviews, Critic. I agree with what you put.

Zelda: Twilight Princess deserves an A since it is a lengthy well polished game. Sure it doesn't use Wii's upgraded graphics but, then again, most launch games don't.

Wii Play: Wii Play is just intended to train people with the wii-mote. I think 'C' is a fair score. Some of the games appeal to different people, but there are some very well put together ones like the pool. Tanks is fun.

Wii Sports: The only negative I have about this game is that it is not online. Imagine if Wii Sports WERE online! Argh! But this is the killer app to the Wii and I am glad Critic sees why. It is the best party game I have ever seen. It is stuffed with re-playability. Shame on the professional reviewers who dogged it!

Now, where is the Soldier Blade review, Mr. Critic? I'm very curious how you will grade that one!

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » May 5th, 2007, 11:41 pm

[QUOTE=video game guy]

Zelda should have got a B+, everyone is a Zelda fanboy these days. Consider it lucky to get an A. A B doesn't mean it's a bad game, but come on... not everything called Zelda is an A+ and definately not this game, previous games... some maybe... Gotta learn to be un-biased there buddy. Don't be like those video game magazines... OMG ZELDA? DA LEET, 10/10 Without even playing it all the way through.

[/QUOTE]

I think it's just the opposite.  Ever since Jeff Gertsmann gave Zelda an 8.8 at Gamespot, the forums became filled with more Zelda-haters than lovers.  It wasn't unexpected that they would come, but the sheer number coming out of the woodworks was a bit surprising.  It's become a "red badge of gaming" on the forums to diss almost any Zelda game, especially Twilight Princess, usually for unexplained, almost unexplainable reasons.  They hide the fact that they are being a good bit biased themselves by identifying any praise of Twilight Princess as a showing of bias.  Obviously not all of them have done that, but it's been a clear majority.

This is a good instance of it.  Rob has been saying ever since he played the game that he thought it was an A+ game.  This is not something he pulled out of his file when he saw the score handed out on the VGC site.  He has NOT said that about every Zelda game, because he hasn't acted like a Zelda fanboy.  But of course, thinking Zelda should be an A+ in this instance automatically makes him biased because you say so.  After all, look at you?  Rob may have suggested raising it by a mark, but your suggestion is to lower it by two marks.  Is that an indication that you're just such a Zelda-hater?  Gotta learn to be unbiased there buddy.  Don't be like all those Zelda-hating forumites accusing people of rating Zelda high on its name alone, when you have no idea whether or not they played it all the way through... OMG ZELDA FANBOYS!  THEY SO TEH BIASED!!!

Personally I think an A is well-deserved.  I don't need everyone to call it a 10 out of 10.  Enough reviewers did that already

Roperious1

Postby Roperious1 » May 6th, 2007, 1:16 am

[QUOTE=Atarifever][QUOTE=Roperious]
Come play on [I]my[/I] Island...[/QUOTE]
Those are great commercials by the way. 

My family  went to PEI for a couple weeks every summer when I was a kid.  I remember really liking it (of course I was so young on some trips that I though Rainbow Valley was practically Disney Land).
[/QUOTE]

They closed Rainbow Valley down last year!!!

I'm still crushed!

john-boy

Postby john-boy » May 6th, 2007, 4:37 pm

[QUOTE=Atarifever](the sun rises in the East). [/QUOTE]

Not on concorde.

It's all relative.

mappymousepd

Postby mappymousepd » May 6th, 2007, 10:54 pm

[QUOTE=gleebergloben]

[QUOTE=mappy mouse pd ][QUOTE=Jasonhas RSI]Just out of curiosity -- has RPG "correspondent" Jonathan Hawk ever played a game he didn't absolutely love? He seems to pass out 'A's like candy.
[/QUOTE]

hehe, I asked him the same thing a while back:

http://forums.sterlingtimes.org/tool/post/dmrozek/vpost?id=706882
[/QUOTE]

it seems that jonathan hawk reviews top notch games, and i don't mean that sarcastically. 
[/QUOTE]

I thought the Grandia 2 review was a bit too gushing.  That game has some serious flaws, which anyone who's played their fair share of Japanese RPGs can tell you. 

a1

Postby a1 » May 6th, 2007, 11:14 pm

[QUOTE=Shawn]There is "a" to the rescue....somebody criticized Nintendo and there he is to the rescue. I am sure Paul will be right behind. Personally, I think Wiisports is an A title b/c people have so much fun with it. If it was actually gauged on how well it approximates or mirrors the sports it would get an "F". But that being said it should be based on the fun factor and Wii Sports is a great party game. Of course, solo I think it is not as much fun.

[/QUOTE]

Christ Shawn, how about developing a sense of humor? I made a joke because I thought his comment was stupid since it can be applied to basically any sports game; I didn't go out on a limb to defend Nintendo or Wii Sports.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » May 7th, 2007, 8:58 am

Is it just me or does it feel like the RPG Critic's reviews don't fit in with Dave's reviews?  Maybe its just me, but if you took away the "submitted by Jonathan Hawk" blurb you could still tell it was the Critic's work.  I'm not saying I don't like the reviews because he can write, but if you read the Gamecube review of Twilight Princess it just feels like it fits in.  The Critic's reviews get right to the point, while Hawk seems to add too much fluff to his.  No biggie though...

Anywho...I got to this thread a little late, so I will just say, great job on the reviews guys.  Glad to see the Wii reviews are finally here.  I hope to see a few more of them to compensate for the months the Critic missed out on.

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » May 7th, 2007, 9:55 am

I don't mind the different style that Jon brings to the table. We all come for Dave's unique take on things, but if he is indeed not able to review RPGs at all, I'd rather have Hawk review them than to not have them at all.

Also, he hasn't done a ton of reviews yet. He'll develop a style that fits with the site given the time to do so.

@ mappymouse: When you say that Grandia has flaws, "as anyone how has played Japanese RPGs can attest" (or whatever you said), can you explain what you mean by that? I'm not sure one call out an entire country's RPG output (if that's what your intent was) without saying why you feel the way you do. I'm curious!

-Rob

Return to “Review Feedback”