Cheap Game Find of the Week

General and high profile video game topics.
ZetaX1

Postby ZetaX1 » May 6th, 2007, 10:49 pm

Hi gang,

I'm gonna throw this one out there, how about a thread where we share (reasonably) cheap games we find in a (reasonably) timely manner?  Let's stick with new games, from sources that are generally available (please specify where.)  Of course, there are regional store and even store-by-store pricing policies, and we aren't trying to re-invent some sort of 'cheapassgamer' site, but here's a first go at it...

FIND:        Mercury Meltdown: Remix
PLATFORM:    PS2 (or PS3)
PRICE:       $10
DESCRIPTION: Puzzle game, similar to Super Monkey Ball, but with little blobs of liquid (and the dynamic that involves, i.e.: blobs can be "split".)  Has a definite, "just one more level" quality to it, with quick to do/try levels.  Can easily be played for 10 minutes or a couple of hours.
CONCLUSION:  7.5/10 - Well worth 10 bucks if you like puzzle-type games.

Well, there's a first attempt at what might be a successful thread (or a horrible, horrible failure.)  Let's see where this goes...

- Mark

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » May 7th, 2007, 7:32 am

Find: SDI 3-in-one game pak
For: GBA
Cost: $14.99
At: Renys local store but I know Wal*Mart also had these
Description: There were a series of games containing 2 or 3 old arcade hits on them; I also saw SPY HUNTER/ SUPER SPRINT for the same price. For description, see my review! This one had Millipede, Super Breakout and Lunar Lander.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » May 7th, 2007, 8:41 am

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/

You can setup an RSS feed to pull in the best deals or just use the link.

BigOldCar

Postby BigOldCar » May 8th, 2007, 8:42 pm

Hmm... Castle of Illusion on Genesis for $2

Konami Arcade Advance on GBA for $10 (new-Clearance)--Toys R Us

Wireless xBox controllers (blue EA Sports-branded Intecs with the ain't-we-cool SOCOM earpiece) for $12 apiece at Toys R Us (New-Clearance).

Well, the GBA was actually a month ago, but they're still on the tables over there.

KanYozakura

Postby KanYozakura » May 8th, 2007, 10:18 pm

Tales of Legendia for the PS2 is clearanced to only $20 at Kmart, if you're into that sort of thing.

ZetaX1

Postby ZetaX1 » May 14th, 2007, 8:13 am

FIND:        Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
PLATFORM:    XBox

PRICE:       $5
DESCRIPTION: 1st-person shooter with 3rd person brawler/platformer elements.  Very creative 'live' ammo system and a puzzle-like atmosphere whereby going in with guns blazing isn't always the best solution.  Setting traps and luring the enemys to untimely deaths is fun, but trying to "bring 'em back alive" is a bigger (and more worthwhile) challenge.
CONCLUSION:  8/10 - Amazingly cheap at 5 bucks.  Good graphics and fun, quirky gameplay.  A very overlooked game.

Anayo1

Postby Anayo1 » May 18th, 2007, 8:41 pm

Final Fantasy VII for the Playstation - $15 at a nearby thrift store.

Michael D

Postby Michael D » May 18th, 2007, 10:53 pm

My local Potomac Video is closing down and clearing out their entire stock, so I picked up some and movies and of course, games.  Here's what I picked up:

Zelda: Twilight Princess (Gamecube) with everything but the manual for $10
Zelda: Wind Waker (Gamecube) with everything but the manual for $10
Okami (PS2) complete for $10
Mario Party 4 (Gamecube) complete for $10
Firefighter F.D 18 (PS2) complete for $10
Beyond Good and Evil (Gamecube) complete for $10
Ken Griffey Jr.'s Slugfest (N64) with everything but the manual for $1 
World Series Basebal 2K1 (Dreamcast) complete for $1

And they still had a ton of other interesting stuff, like Final Fantasy 12, Kingdom Hearts 2, and TMNT (Gamecube) for $10 each.  Many great deals from a video store that I got great things from in the past, like Paper Mario (N64), cart only for $5 and perhaps the best one, Marvel Vs Capcom 2 (Xbox) complete for $13 (FYI, that's a huge discount over how much it's actually worth nowadays).  I'm gonna miss them, and not just because of games...

andrew

Postby andrew » May 23rd, 2007, 2:08 pm

Relatively good find. Futurama PS2 used complete in excellent shape for $25cad including tax. Usually sells used on eBay including shipping anywhere from $45 - $75cad. The high price I believe is due to Futurama fanatics bidding because all the clips from the game create one unique Futurama episode not available anywhere else.

JasonHasRSI

Postby JasonHasRSI » May 24th, 2007, 4:40 pm

Viewtiful Joe new/sealed for $14 at FYE.

Return to “Video Games General”