The Godfather (Wii)

The readers post their own reviews.
Edward M

The Godfather (Wii)

Postby Edward M » June 4th, 2007, 12:02 pm

This game makes a great first impression.     The controls work fantastic.  It is absolutely fun to choke people to death or punch them or snap their necks.   In combination with screen pointing technology and z trigger lock on, the gun battles are easy to do and really fun. I haven't played this game on other systems, but I couldn't imagine them controlling better than this version.

You will spend most of your time in the game cruising the streets going into enemy stores and extorting them for protection money.   The first time you do it, its a blast.  You can point guns at them, vandalize their store, choke them or anything.    You can even throw them through windows.  You try to find out what their weak point is (such as choke holds) to get the most money from them.

But after a while you will notice something.  All the stores look the same.  All the stores have about one of about six different designs for their back rooms.  So in this game you go through about 12 different hotels that look [b]exactly[/b] the same and about 12 different night clubs that look [b]exactly[/b] the same.   So extorting  business owners for money will at first be fun, but will become mundane very quickly as you will see the same exact stores over and over again.   And you have to extort all the stores to beat the game so it is very lame.

The story missions aren't that great either.  Mostly they involve driving someone and going into a building and shooting someone.   These missions never rise to the level of GTA San Andreas were you shoot up a train on a motorcycle or parachute into a government faculty.  Infact other than the fun, but repetitive extorting missions, this game is a pale GTA clone in every way.  

And the graphics don't help either.   This game would look poor on the Dreamcast.  There is horrible popup and the graphics are low rez.  This is not next gen graphics at all.

So overall this is a boring GTA clone that at first has some exciting extorting missions, but gets boring and repetitive quick.   Its not worth beating as its the same thing over and over again.  Also the story isn't up to standard of the Godfather movies and just feels like you are a character tacked into the universe.   There are better GTA like games out there. (GTA3, Vice City San Andreas Simpsons Hit N run, CrackDown, Saint's Row, Jak 2 and 3, Mercenaries, Mafia...)  I'd pass this one up.
D+

JustLikeHeaven1

The Godfather (Wii)

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » June 4th, 2007, 1:57 pm

I understand what you are saying in your review, but I really don't feel like this game was a D+ effort.  The graphics aren't great and the gameplay isn't super orginal, but its a fun game.

I never felt like the game was boring or repetitive because I always did different things.  I'll play it once and do the story missions...the next time I might just do the hitman missions...other times I just drive around and have fun.

The controls are the real star of the show.  It makes an otherwise boring title very very exciting.  Punching, shooting, chocking etc...is very well done.

Alot of popular sites and magazines gave the game around a C+ to B- grade and that seems about right to me.

Shawn

The Godfather (Wii)

Postby Shawn » June 5th, 2007, 11:55 am

Well I borrowed my buddies Wii (har! har!) while he was on vacation and I rented this game and I agree with the reviewer completely. Be careful on this site, the Nintendo fans think EVERY Wii games is terrific. While I would put this in the C- category b/c you do get a few hours of fun.....the lifeless city, bland graphics and redudant cityscape clearly speak to the limitations of the Wii. Not to mention the redundant style of the missions...like the reviewer said...very bland. I could go on and on but I would just suggets to anybody who is interested in something other then party games for their Wii to rent this one first or wait till it's dirt cheap.

feilong801

The Godfather (Wii)

Postby feilong801 » June 5th, 2007, 3:45 pm

[QUOTE=Shawn]

Well I borrowed my buddies Wii (har! har!) while he was on vacation and I rented this game and I agree with the reviewer completely. Be careful on this site, the Nintendo fans think EVERY Wii games is terrific. While I would put this in the C- category b/c you do get a few hours of fun.....the lifeless city, bland graphics and redudant cityscape clearly speak to the limitations of the Wii. Not to mention the redundant style of the missions...like the reviewer said...very bland. I could go on and on but I would just suggets to anybody who is interested in something other then party games for their Wii to rent this one first or wait till it's dirt cheap.

[/QUOTE]

Shawn, you're being ridiculous here. Not with your assessment of the Godfather. It probably is a decent but not great game as you say.

You are being ridiculous in regards to why the Godfather has those bland graphics. It is bland because it is a port. Games built from the ground up for Wii have far superior graphics, as anyone who has spent some time with the system can attest.

What you are doing is using the shortcomings of a particular game to trash the system. That isn't a fair or good analysis. You could criticize developers for emphasizing ports. That's a fair critique. But this is just a knee jerk reaction.

I also take offense to this ongoing idea that we just support everything that comes out on Wii. Personally, I deeply research and consider everything I buy. So naturally it isn't terribly likely I'm going to HATE a game I purchase (since a good deal of thought went into it, and many times I rent first). So of course, the games I review that I post in the reviews section are probably going to be at least C games.

The Critic, on the other hand, is going to review mediocre games. That's his job to do so (job in this case not being his main bread winning job, but his obligation to a site that has many readers). Fact is, he hasn't posted many Wii reviews yet. I'm sure when he gets to the dogs, like FarCry, they will get poor reviews.

You think this site is Wii centric only because you have taken it upon yourself to act like a hired Sony PR mouthpiece. There are other people here that own and indeed enjoy their PS3, that do not act like you.

That said, no one's trying to stop you nor should they- but from time to time it should be pointed out that you do not analyze your comments before you type them, and it gets a tad annoying.

-Rob

Atarifever1

The Godfather (Wii)

Postby Atarifever1 » June 5th, 2007, 4:28 pm

[QUOTE=feilong80]

I also take offense to this ongoing idea that we just support everything that comes out on Wii.

You think this site is Wii centric only because you have taken it upon yourself to act like a hired Sony PR mouthpiece.

[/QUOTE]

In order to avoid this kind of thing in the future, why don't we just make a list for Shawn of the things we actually are fanboys for. 

Atari 7800: Shawn, I am aiming to own every single game, prototype, controller, and piece of literature related to this system.  I unfairly judge many systems based on playing a handful of games, but will not let anyone trash even the worst 7800 game without having proved that they have at least given it an hour.

Sega Genesis: I am a fanboy for the system because it is perfect and eats the SNES for breakfast.  I feel confident in that assessment, because I bought an SNES and my brother had a Genesis, and I ended up buying more games for his Genesis than my SNES. 

Nokia N-Gage: Yes.  I am a fanboy for that.

There it is.  If the product is not on that list, I am not a fanboy for it.

Shawn

The Godfather (Wii)

Postby Shawn » June 5th, 2007, 5:05 pm

[QUOTE=feilong80][QUOTE=Shawn]

[/QUOTE]

Shawn, you're being ridiculous here. Not with your assessment of the Godfather. It probably is a decent but not great game as you say.

You are being ridiculous in regards to why the Godfather has those bland graphics. It is bland because it is a port. Games built from the ground up for Wii have far superior graphics, as anyone who has spent some time with the system can attest.

What you are doing is using the shortcomings of a particular game to trash the system. That isn't a fair or good analysis. You could criticize developers for emphasizing ports. That's a fair critique. But this is just a knee jerk reaction.

I also take offense to this ongoing idea that we just support everything that comes out on Wii. Personally, I deeply research and consider everything I buy. So naturally it isn't terribly likely I'm going to HATE a game I purchase (since a good deal of thought went into it, and many times I rent first). So of course, the games I review that I post in the reviews section are probably going to be at least C games.

The Critic, on the other hand, is going to review mediocre games. That's his job to do so (job in this case not being his main bread winning job, but his obligation to a site that has many readers). Fact is, he hasn't posted many Wii reviews yet. I'm sure when he gets to the dogs, like FarCry, they will get poor reviews.

You think this site is Wii centric only because you have taken it upon yourself to act like a hired Sony PR mouthpiece. There are other people here that own and indeed enjoy their PS3, that do not act like you.

That said, no one's trying to stop you nor should they- but from time to time it should be pointed out that you do not analyze your comments before you type them, and it gets a tad annoying.

-Rob
[/QUOTE]

I honestly wasn't trying to trash the system but it isn't the only game with poor graphics. I know, Zelda has amazing graphics and is indeed a great looking game. Seriously, every time somebody says ANYTHING bad about the Wii (including NOW) the WiiLovers on this site are quick to defend it! I don't really care, play the game, love it, hate it. It's all the same. I have played a ton of Wii games so it is not like I am talking outside of first hand experience. I applaud the reviewer for calling out this overhyped piece of garbage. I haven't said a word about Wii games in forever! I sat in silence as the WiiLovers talked about this game like it was the second coming of GTA. And by the way, I don't own a PS3 and I am not a Sony Fanboy; if anything I am a 360Fanboy so get it right.

JustLikeHeaven1

The Godfather (Wii)

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » June 5th, 2007, 5:48 pm

Where in the world was this game hyped?  It was a port and it most people expected it to be garbage.

I raved about how surprised I was that it didn't suck.  There are several other people on this site that agree with that notion.  The controls are great and thats really all I cared about.  It made an average game slightly above average in my eyes.

Who cares about the graphics of a Wii game?  If you care about graphics play a 360 or PS3.  These arguments are old and quite frankly I'm sick of hearing them.  I don't care if the Critic is making them or Shawn or anybody else.  The Wii is, and never will be a machine about graphics.  Stop complaining about a moot point.

The original poster made valid arguements against the game and I respect that.  It was a well written review and I appreciate his efforts.  I don't expect everybody to like every game.  He found the game to be fun for a little bit and then it went sour.  Thats cool...I have no problem with that.

Funkmaster V

The Godfather (Wii)

Postby Funkmaster V » June 5th, 2007, 11:22 pm

I liked this one a bunch, though I think the reviewer is more right than wrong.

Pros:
Grappling/fighting controls are awesome
The Godfather lisense excites me more than the GTA universe.
This version has the most unlockables, levels and missions than any other port.
Good voice acting
The RPG elements are OK
The throwing the Chicago Don off of the roof mission is fun and exclusive to the Wii.

Cons:
The graphics are bland, but better than GTA games
The driving is slow
Boring music
The city is not nearly as interesting as a GTA one
The repetitiveness of the buildings you can enter is a BIG flaw. Taking down a building full of rivals is exciting/ scary at first. After you memorize the building layouts, the tension is busted.

I'd give it a B. I like the Godfather movies and it is a solid game. It's a must for non party game fan Wii owners.

FUNK

Superjay

The Godfather (Wii)

Postby Superjay » June 6th, 2007, 6:59 am

I love this game. Basically because of the controls. Its a very good stress reliever and if you live in NY you need one believe me. As far as Shawn being a Sony fanboy that rumor has to stop. He loves 360..... not PS3.

Edward M

The Godfather (Wii)

Postby Edward M » June 6th, 2007, 7:21 am

I know everyone is wondering why i gave it such a low grade.  I'm not saying the game is a disaster.    But I am trying to use C as  the average.   When I looked at its competition (GTA3 Vice City San Andreas, Mafia, JAK 2 Jak 3, Simpsons Hit in Run, Driver etc..)  I saw that this game is well below average because of its blandness.   So it should get a below average grade.   So a D+ from me may be worth a C+ from someone else because I'm trying not to do grade inflation. 

[QUOTE=JustLikeHeaven]
Who cares about the graphics of a Wii game?  If you care about graphics play a 360 or PS3.  These arguments are old and quite frankly I'm sick of hearing them.  I don't care if the Critic is making them or Shawn or anybody else.  The Wii is, and never will be a machine about graphics.  Stop complaining about a moot point.

[/QUOTE]

Well I certainly care about graphics.   Sure graphics aren't everything, but good graphics will always make a game better.   I don't think Twilight Princess would be as good as it was without its fantastic graphics, neither would the dead or alive games.   People under estimate the importance of graphics.   Sure you can have an awesome game with bad graphics (Deus Ex for example)  but good graphics will always add appeal to games.   I find Tomb Raider Legends to be much more appealing on the 360 because it looks better so that definately helps it.

Return to “Reader Reviews”