Best FPS on PS2?

General and high profile video game topics.
riftt

Best FPS on PS2?

Postby riftt » June 7th, 2007, 8:01 pm

Looking for a recommendation for a FPS for the ps2.  Nothing historical please (medal of honor, etc), and emphasis on 1-player experience. 

JasonhasRSI1

Best FPS on PS2?

Postby JasonhasRSI1 » June 7th, 2007, 9:53 pm

Errr. Black, maybe? I think you can switch to a first person view in Ratchet and Clank 2 and 3, those are better shooters than anything else on the PS2 IMO.

Iain

Best FPS on PS2?

Postby Iain » June 7th, 2007, 10:56 pm

The two Red Faction game scan be quite fun, though they are not spectacular. And of course there is the TimeSplitters games.

The PS2 isn't particularly good for FPS's though.

JustLikeHeaven1

Best FPS on PS2?

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » June 7th, 2007, 11:24 pm

The list of great FPS on the PS2 is pretty short...as others have mentioned.  Here is what I would recommend.

Red Faction I and II
Cold Winter
Timesplitters 2 and Future Perfect
Black
XIII

Swade_Dogg

Best FPS on PS2?

Postby Swade_Dogg » June 8th, 2007, 12:13 am

Check out "The Suffering" as well.  You have the option to play this as a First-Person, or Third-Person, shooter.  I chose to play it as a FPS, and I thought the game rocked. 

I would avoid the sequel, though, which is called "Ties That Bind".  For some reason I can't explain, it just wasn't as fun as the original. 

Leo Ames

Best FPS on PS2?

Postby Leo Ames » June 8th, 2007, 12:15 am

Half-Life

Will

Best FPS on PS2?

Postby Will » June 8th, 2007, 10:50 am

I'm going to have to go with Black.  Downside: It is a bit too short and repetitive. The story was pretty weak and incomprhensible, to me at least.  And, I totally don't get why the producers decided to make it an "M" rated game because of f-bombs rather than blood, etc. (Not saying you have to have blood or graphic violence to make a good shooter, just saying that I don't understand why you would make an "M" rated game of this sort completely - and almost conspicously - bloodless.
Upside: Awesomely detailed and realistic weapons, excellent music, fairly intelligent AI, some of the best graphics on PS2, and of course, very destructible enviroments.  The explosions in this game are really something to behold.  Oh, and the mission areas are truly gigantic, which gives it a cinematic feel.
It doesn't really do anything new for the genre (but then again, I don't think it was meant to), but it executes the old formula pretty well.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Best FPS on PS2?

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 8th, 2007, 4:09 pm

Wow, I never realized how thin the library of PS2 FPS's was.

Adamant1

Best FPS on PS2?

Postby Adamant1 » June 8th, 2007, 5:04 pm

Yet you still haven't reviewed the Timesplitters games, Dave. Do so.

a1

Best FPS on PS2?

Postby a1 » June 8th, 2007, 8:59 pm

Timesplitters and Red Faction (I'd say get the second or third Timesplitters and the first Red Faction) are the best if you ask me. As JLH said Ratchet and Clank 2 and 3 aren't FPS but they are the best shooters in general on the system, as well as being among the best games period on the PS2.

Return to “Video Games General”